• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Rose Pink ED50 (1 Viewer)

Or the female birding fraternity. Come to mention it, we're very badly catered for - the whole thing is so male-orientated that no-one considers we might want some things a little bit more girly.

Hence why I intend to customise my ED50 with a few girly sparkles. The body has now arrived after much waiting and I have ordered an eyepiece.

Expect to see me out and about in the new year looking embarrassingly feminine. ;)

Or the female birding fraternity. Come to mention it, we're very badly catered for - the whole thing is so male-orientated that no-one considers we might want some things a little bit more girly.

It was the concept of Messrs Sancho and Allwood mincing around fully 'pinked' out with bunting and birding accessories etc which was the more abiding image after reading this thread . . . ;)

Of course girls should be allowed to be 'girlie' and 'sparkly' whilst pursuing their hobby. But you'd have thought that a bit counter-intuitive when it comes to successful birding . . . .
Unless it were to work somewhat like pishing . . .
ie the bird wonders 'what's that bright and dazzling bedecked vision in pink over there- I must go and investigate' and hence moves in for a closer look. And we get stonking views of elusive rare warblers and such-

Spice girl birding attire and accessories. . . the new way forward . .??!!

I broke down and ordered one - £199 for a PinkoScope with a stay-on-case was just too tempting - the question is, do I hide the pinkness or do I flaunt it?

I broke down and ordered one - £199 for a PinkoScope with a stay-on-case was just too tempting - the question is, do I hide the pinkness or do I flaunt it?
I think you should be brave and go for the complete 'My Little Spotting Scope' look. We could do with a good laugh in this part of the world. If I see a hide with a strange pink glow emanating from it I will stop and say hi.

Ron

The PinkoScope arrived this morning, Woo Hoo!! The colour is foul (although pleasingly shiny), but the view is niiiiiice. It's a shame I only have one 25-75 eyepiece to share between it and the ED82, but christmas is only a few more days away :D

Yeah, I guess I'm a born flaunter, although I'm a little worried that I might look ridiculous. One of my colleagues described it as looking like a "Rampant Rabbit". I've no idea what one of those is, but it must be something funny because she was smiling when she said it ;)

Does the stay on case (In Focus's own design I guess) completely cover the scope or does it leave tantalising glimpses of shameful pinkness?

Edit. Which other eyepiece are you thinking of getting for it?

Ron

Last edited:
First attempt to get the case on was dissappointing, it's not a good fit. I'll try again later and post some pics.

I'm lucky enough to have two eyepieces heading my way for christmas for the ED82, the 30x and 38x wide-angles. I think the 38x is 20x on the ED50, not sure if the 30x will work on the ED50 or not, but it would be 16x I believe.

Current thinking is to use the 38x on the big scope, with the 30x for occasional digiscoping use, and leave the zoom on the ED50. Or leave the 38x on the ED50, and switch between the 30x and zoom on the big scope. Or just carry everything everywhere all the time, just in case! ;)

I'm lucky enough to have two eyepieces heading my way for christmas for the ED82, the 30x and 38x wide-angles. I think the 38x is 20x on the ED50, not sure if the 30x will work on the ED50 or not, but it would be 16x I believe.

Current thinking is to use the 38x on the big scope, with the 30x for occasional digiscoping use, and leave the zoom on the ED50. Or leave the 38x on the ED50, and switch between the 30x and zoom on the big scope. ;)
I've got the 13-40 zoom and 20/38x eyepieces for mine and they are both excellent. I bought the 20/38x mainly for digiscoping but use it most of the time now, largely because the eye relief and field of view are a bit better than the zoom. The 16/30x is meant to be a very good eyepiece for digiscoping on the ED82. You should have fun

Ron

The only thing that worries me about the 30x/16x eyepiece that's coming is that its the twist eyecup version, not the DS version. Looking at note *1 on this page on the nikon website http://www.ave.nikon.co.jp/bi_e/products/nature_c.htm it says "We do not recommend 24x/30x Wide MC in combination with ED50 series owing to vignetting." But whether this means applies only to digiscoping with the non-DS eyepiece, or normal use, I dont know. I note that the Fieldscope page on the same site http://www.ave.nikon.co.jp/bi_e/products/nature_a.htm doesn't list the 30x/16x against the ED50, so I guess I'll have to wait and see.

I've read elsewhere on the forum that the DS eyepiece is optically identical to the twist-eyecup eyepiece, but I can't get my head around how that's possible from looking at the pictures the, because the DS eyepiece appears to be longer.

The only thing that worries me about the 30x/16x eyepiece that's coming is that its the twist eyecup version, not the DS version. Looking at note *1 on this page on the nikon website http://www.ave.nikon.co.jp/bi_e/products/nature_c.htm it says "We do not recommend 24x/30x Wide MC in combination with ED50 series owing to vignetting." But whether this means applies only to digiscoping with the non-DS eyepiece, or normal use, I dont know. I note that the Fieldscope page on the same site http://www.ave.nikon.co.jp/bi_e/products/nature_a.htm doesn't list the 30x/16x against the ED50, so I guess I'll have to wait and see.

I've read elsewhere on the forum that the DS eyepiece is optically identical to the twist-eyecup eyepiece, but I can't get my head around how that's possible from looking at the pictures the, because the DS eyepiece appears to be longer.

I'm still waiting for my eyepiece too. I've ordered the MC 40x/27x. Can't wait to give it a go. I was considering having mine in my av but you beat me to it, I see.

Yeah, I guess I'm a born flaunter, although I'm a little worried that I might look ridiculous. One of my colleagues described it as looking like a "Rampant Rabbit". I've no idea what one of those is, but it must be something funny because she was smiling when she said it ;)

I don't imagine she'd be smiling if she used it that way - given the width. ;)

Congratulations on your stunning new piece of kit, you Beast.....I´m green with envy, having bought a green ED50 and regretted it. Not for the optics, which are superb, but for the colour, because I think I would have been the only birder in Ireland to have a Pink scope. Come to think of it, I´ve never seen any other birder in Ireland with an ED50.... In any case, the 38x on the ED82 and the zoom on the ED50 sounds about right. I splashed out (Santa is especially good to those who are both Naughty AND Nice) and got 27x for the ED50, and keep 30x or 38x on the ED82, depending on my whims. I tried the 16x/30x on the ED50, but gave up, ´cos the mag simply wasn´t appreciably more than a good 10x or 12x pair of bins. I prefer MC eyepieces, ´cos I don´t digiscope. Best of Luck with your shockingly beautiful new scope, and Happy Christmas!

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back