• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

large bird from western US (1 Viewer)

Chris Benesh

So much work, so little time...so let's go birding
Hi All,

Here is a shot that I thought folks could have fun with. It was taken somewhere in the northwestern US in the last couple of days. If it is too problematic, I can provide some additional clues, but for the moment, here it is.

Chris

Attachments

• quiz 1.jpg
    quiz 1.jpg
    143.4 KB · Views: 264
Chris Benesh said:
If it is too problematic, I can provide some additional clues, but for the moment, here it is.

Chris
Give us a clue please? Is it a pelican? Skua?

Its not an owl or raptor against a confusing background is it? just trying to think outside the watery id box.

Errr you've got me!?

Various possibilities but none I could be sure of -

1) imm Brown pelican - general plumage and apparent bulk of the bird, but I'm not convinced the wings look long enough.

2) blue snow goose - surely only a juv could be that dark and it ain't a juv and no contrast with pale rump so not that! - famous last words

3) dark morph buzzard(hawk) species - looks too heavy for rough-leg and any hawk shouldn't show ple greyish in the wings??

4) imm Bald Eagle - again the proportions appear a bit odd at that angle and I'd have thought it'd look more mottled.

or possibly an imm cormorant species but again shouldn't really have the paler greyish bits............oh I give up!!

Cheers
Andrew

A difficult one this For a moment I had one of the Eider´s in mind, like imm. King or Stellers, but there´s some details that doesn´t fit, to long 'hand', primary tip formula, and pattern, but the body jizz would fit, but after that, I sort of give up.

JanJ

Isurus said:
Its not an owl or raptor against a confusing background is it? just trying to think outside the watery id box.

Our resident mako enthusiast is on the right track here! Deliberately tricky, I have attached another photo to further debate with Isurus's clue in mind, that yields a couple more clues. ;)

Chris

currently in Anchorage, AK

Attachments

• quiz 1a.jpg
    quiz 1a.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 178
Chris Benesh said:
Our resident mako enthusiast is on the right track here! Deliberately tricky, I have attached another photo to further debate with Isurus's clue in mind, that yields a couple more clues. ;)

Chris

could be a Gyr?

Chris Benesh said:

Chris

Sweet! I never get id's right! Unfortunately my id skills are limited to "that looks like a [insert family here]" as opposed to "that looks like a [insert species here]" so I'm stuck now. Does look quite long winged though.

Chris Benesh said:

Chris

Well after thinking what raptor could be that bulky bodied, and have whitish patches in it,and soft corners to the tail, ended up with two choices--some Asian exotic, or the apparent clue Chis is refering to--could it be one of those pale Great Horned Owls?
CHEERS, JOE G

Chris put us out of our misery!!

Really don't like those pale patches and apparent broad pale fringes & edges or the apparent plainness of the plumage.

That tail with the fine bars suggests a falcon, so some variation of a darkish gyr??? but then again given that red-tailed hawks have all manner of variants and that we could be into Harlan's territory in the NW I suppose that's a possibility if an imm could show such a finely barred tail??

Cheers,
Andrew

I'll jump in here, if you guys don't mind! ;-)

My first thought was a gyr, but the pale around the edge of the tail is making my wonder. It doesn't appear buteo to me, but it is so hard to tell from these two shots.

If it wasn't for the lack of a white rump, I could almost say harrier.

Okay, okay, okay!

Here is the less puzzling perspective on the bird taken before it left its seaside perch. It was taken near Nome, Alaska a couple of days ago. Great work white-back, who sleuthed it out (and congrats to those who were more or less there), and apologies to those who did not. I knew that the flight shots were particularly tough, but thought what the heck!

Chris

Currently in Seward, Alaska

Attachments

• quiz 1b.jpg
    quiz 1b.jpg
    172.5 KB · Views: 159
Last edited:
Chris Benesh said:
Okay, okay, okay!

Here is the less puzzling perspective on the bird taken before it left its seaside perch. It was taken near Nome, Alaska a couple of days ago. Great work white-back, who sleuthed it out (and congrats to those who were more or less there), and apologies to those who did not. I knew that the flight shots were particularly tough, but thought what the heck!

Chris

Currently in Seward, Alaska

As for your avatar- think I would trade the chance to see pretty much any bird in the US (except perhaps IBWO).. for an encounter with one of them...

white-back said:
As for your avatar- think I would trade the chance to see pretty much any bird in the US (except perhaps IBWO).. for an encounter with one of them...

Indeed White-back,

Seeing that wolverine fulfilled a lifelong dream of mine and has become the high point of my natural history life. It was my most wanted mammal since the age of twelve, when I first learned of them. Finally saw it in 2003 in Denali National Park.

Chris

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back