• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nesting Robins. (1 Viewer)

BazR

bazr
Hi All.
After a winter of seeing just a very occasional Robin, and giving up on any nesting in the garden, I was delighted the other day to see one carrying nesting material into the ivy. The past couple of days there has been a regular stream of visits to the bush so nesting is well under way.

To add to my delight, I was washing up this morning, and right outside the kitchen window there were 9 Sparrows feeding on who knows what. That is a veritable upsurge in numbers. Some of them also began collecting nesting material, so things are looking up. My tall grasses have had their feather-like tassels removed by Sparrows, also for nesting material, I assume. The collecting Sparrows flew off in totally opposite directions, so it would appear that there are at least two nesting sites. ' All grist to the mill ' so to speak.

All the best.
Baz.

Oh Baz, I am so pleased that you have nesting robins and an upsurge in sparrow numbers. Two good things at once!

The two Robins that I've had over the winter have disappeared in the last week or so, presumably there was no suitable nesting site within my garden. :-C

Hi Baz,I'm so glad for you as "my" Robins have sadly deserted their nest box under the Honeysuckle....I think it was a large ugly looking mottled cat from the house at the back!!! grrrrrrrr :storm:
I hope yours stay around and are successful and that you get rewarded with one of these later in the summer!
Best wishes,

Attachments

• Baby Robin.JPG
    Baby Robin.JPG
    155.2 KB · Views: 26
Great news Baz with the Robins and Sparrows :D I hope you have loads of little ones in and around your garden soon! ;) o:)

Hi Baz

You are the lucky one. I usually have a Robin visit during the winter, when it's rewarded with meal worms, then come March they disappear, despite me providing a very nice Robin nest box in the ivy.

I have a permanent gang of sparrow visitors but they don't seem to be interested in nest building yet. Maybe the Sparrowhawk is putting them off!

Hi All.
You can rest assured that should the Robins be successful in bringing young ones off, you'll be the first to know.

All the best.
Baz.

Hi Baz,
Great news about the Robins and H.Sparrows. I have 2 Robins who visit, and one has been taking food away so I'm hoping for young 'uns too. The H.Sparrows have been busy collecting nest material too. Now, if only you can get a Song Thrush eh?? your cup would runneth over. Good Luck Baz.
All the Best to You,

That's great news Baz, really pleased for you. Hope the sparrows bring their young to your garden, I love to see their small fluffy bodies lined up along the fence like they have no legs, very sweet!

We've had sparrows building for weeks now going to various roofs and the male robin was feeding the female a few weeks ago but I haven't seen her recently so I guess she's incubating somewhere. Exciting times!

Hi Baz,
Lucky you! that's fantastic news. I dont think I have any visible nesting again this year. boohoo.
I'm so pleased for you Baz, keep us posted.

Aww Ruth, Im sorry to hear your news, lets hope it found a safer place.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back