• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gull help please (1 Viewer)

On a gull theme, yet not particularly anything to do with the thread, I am now looking at LBB and Herring Gulls, all adults, all perfect plumage, and all swimming about outside the window, and underwater all the legs look identicle, a kind of fleshy/yucky/impossible to describe colour!

brianhstone said:
Sorry to come in rather late on this. The one thing that struck me about this bird was that the primary projection looked rather short for michahellis/cachinnans from the pics. This might be something to do with the angle but from the photo I wouldn't put it down as YLG. We have an estimated 20 michahellis of various ages around the rubbish tips of Peterborough at the moment. At this time of year they are noticably more attenuated than other Herring Gulls.
In the field the bird did appear quite attenuated compared to near by Herring Gull (also noted by Stevie), this is a feature I have noted with late summer michahellis previously.

benji said:
A very long thread for a Hering Gull zzzzzzz

Thanks for that intelligent contribution. If it bores you look elsewhere, you may even find fairly long threads about hybrid Mallards but if that's what interests people that's fine.

Stephen.

Tristan
It would be interesting to see how this thread would go if your photographs were close ups, in good light & pin sharp............

If that were the Case then i STiLL dont think everyone would agree on the outcome (especially those deliberately trying to wind you up !) ;)

(PS Can you send me any info or links for Cumbrian Birds)

Steve.
PS. Perhaps the Gull is some sort of HYBRiD............? ?...
Anyway at Least ME & YOU both saw that Wild Ruddy Shelduck as a consolation...... ;)

Stephen Dunstan said:
Thanks for that intelligent contribution. If it bores you look elsewhere, you may even find fairly long threads about hybrid Mallards but if that's what interests people that's fine.

Stephen.

Was that remark meant to be serious or rude or both. Did you get offended ? I haven't seen anything like that before (I am new) but my comment was made in innocense and in furture , perhaps you could vet any comment even if it is made in a light hearted way.

Pink legs, patterns, shape, location = H Gull - I have known that since I was about 8 years old (before I even knew Y legged gulls existed) I don't need to see someone confusing it with hybridism and saying the legs are / were yellow etc. It is a Herring gull. Hybridism is surely possible but of course one isn't able to coinfirm this from the photos so I was surprised at the long thread for this subject.

If I am boring you by now, you can read about the hybrid mallards. Its not their fault after all!

Last edited:
benji said:
Was that remark meant to be serious or rude or both. I haven't seen anything like that before (I am new) but my comment was made in innocense and in furture , perhaps you could vet any comment even if it is made in a light hearted way.

Tell me you are being ironic, please...

Wherever you come from 'zzzzzz' can only mean one thing, or enlighten me...

I would like to thank Tristan for starting a worthwhile thread, and I wouldn't dream of being rude to anybody who made a sensible contribution to it.

Regards,

Stephen.

benji said:
Pink legs, patterns, shape, location = H Gull - I have known that since I was about 8 years old (before I even knew Y legged gulls existed) I don't need to see someone confusing it with hybridism and saying the legs are / were yellow etc.
This is a very unpleasent and condescending response. As I have previously stated the bird did show pale yellowish colouration on the legs (feature that was also noted by Stevie who has also observed the bird in the field). The mantle colouration, visible primary pattern, head and bill structure, primary projection and overall structure were all good features for Yellow-legged Gulls. Yellow-legged Gulls can show yellowish/pink legs at this time of year. I am not sure that location is an issue here as Yellow-legged Gulls are annual in the area of location and particularly at this time of year.
I am very experienced with both argentatus and argenteus Herring Gulls and have some experience with michahellis and cachinnans. If this bird was as typical 'Herring Gull' I would have neither photographed the bird or have cause to post an enquiry to this forum.

Tristan

I don`t want to be boring - but are we convinced the legs are really Pink - i still like the looks of this for a michahelis!

Jasonbirder said:
I don`t want to be boring - but are we convinced the legs are really Pink - i still like the looks of this for a michahelis!

Thanks - pink . I can only believe my eyes can't I? :hippy:

I think It would be necessary to have details of the open wing pattern to make further progress on this bird. To dismiss it as a Herring Gull is just not viable because the dark mantle tones would only be compatible with far northern argentatus and that is probably even rarer than michahellis in Cumbria in summer. The fact that it has some yellow tones in the legs might indicate michahellis, as does the jizz of the thing, but it would obviously be easier to identify as such if the legs were bright yellow as they are in almost all adult michahellis in the Mediterrranean. Based on the images posted I don't see how a hybrid can be ruled out though I suspect it is actually a michahellis - exactly how rigorous you want to be in putting names to these things seems to depend on their perceived frequency in your area...

Dave

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back