• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Newbie question bird identification (1 Viewer)

Hi Okitsme,

They look like they're doing fine around those feeders!

Assuming they were trapped in the wild rather than bred in captivity (sadly, all too likely with huge numbers of cagebirds wild-trapped in China and imported into the west), their chances are reasonable - they will be savvy with natural predators like Sparrowhawks, tho' maybe not domestic cats which could be a risk. If captive bred, they'll be naive and probably get caught by a Sparrowhawk or similar quite quickly.

Climate-wise, they're from fairly high in a mountainous region of southern China, one of my books lists them as found from 1200-4600m. That puts them into a cool temperate, wet climate, so they should be able to cope with anything Britain's weather brings.

Whether we'll hear of White-throated Laughing-thrush joining Canada Goose, Ring-necked Parakeet, etc, etc, on the UK's growing list of established escapes is hard to say, but it could happen.

Michael

Well done Michael. I do have a book of chinese birds (was kinda hoping to visit the three gorges in August :-(( ). A perfect fit. Sorry to have doubted you okitsme.

I had grave doubts too about it being a genuine shot at first. I'm glad that the identification has been resolved, despite the extremely difficult and most unusual species to come across in the UK. Well done Michael and everyone else. Goodness knows how you managed to identify that one.

Okitsme, that was an extremely good first posting to test everyone. Despite the shaky start I hope that you do get to enjoy the site, especially if you have any more birds like that to test us with !

I really enjoyed reading this thread. It is comforting to know that even all you knowledgeable people get stumped now and again!

Apologies fully accepted, I was begining to feel a little intimidated !
IanF, I'll keep an eye out but I don't expect to see many other Chinese mountain birds around deepest Essex. (except crispy Duck)
Once again thanks to everyone for your intrigue

that got everyone didn't it! I'm not surprised, m y first thought was some type of American crow species. so I was wrong. Imagine if they were genuine wild birds and not escapees,you may have wished you hadnt posted when 3 million birders stampeded your garden. only kidding, it's a nice bird even if it is an escapee!

I agree that it looks similar to a Laughing Thrush species . I have experience of these birds since I have worked in one of the largest collections of laughing thrushes in the UK (Beale Bird Park, Reading). I apologise for my initially ID of Plastic Dipper.

I was wrong, It’s a plastic Laughing thrush :)
Welcome to Birdforum okitsme. :t:

Rich

Im still not convinced either, Bit like UFOs We never see a CLEAR concise shot,Always a grainy photo or a wobbly unfocused Video.

No disrespect to Okitsme, but are you sure they are not in an Avery?

The jury is still outB :)

I must admit that my first thought was 'imitation' bird.
Wasn't there a story on Birdwatch magazine a few years ago about a twitcher who kept releasing rarities in Essex so that he could get his list up? Sometimes truth is stranger than fiction!

Cynical Steve

Steve, you are so so cynical. What can I do to convince you ?
You are more than welcome to a copy of the small piece of video (email your address)
As I said earlier I know diddely squat about Birding I was just intrigued. As for my "Avery" you can see it pictured below, you can just make out the swings that the larger birds play on . It looks like the plastic dippers have have been playing footy (they never put the ball away!)
Oh and it looks like my birds done the washing ( plz dont tell her i said that)
As for altering pictures I'm really not that clever.

Attachments

• dvc00091.jpg
    dvc00091.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 342
Here is an extract from "A Field Guide to the Birds of China" by John MacKinnon & Karen Phillipps.

1014 White Throated Laughing Thrush Garrulax albogularis

Medium-sized (28 cm) dull brown laughingthrush with diagnostic white throat and upper breast.

Voice: Wheezy call in flocks; gentle teer,teer contact call and buzzing tzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz in alarm. Also squeals and laughing calls when excited.

Range: C and SW China, S Tibet, Himalayas, Tonkin and Taiwan.

Habits: A noisy bird living in small to large flocks in middle storey of forest.
--------------------------------------------------------------
Picture attached.

By the way to see Alastair's picture you need to type in the last bit of the link.

Attachments

• laughing thrush.jpg
    laughing thrush.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 246
clearer picture

Hi once again

managed to get a little closer today and captured a clearer shot for Steves benefit ( I couldn't catch it to send you in the post though)

From the "Avery" picture It's on the fence post behind the swing to the right

Attachments

• dvc00092.jpg
    dvc00092.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 305
Last edited:
Hmmmmmmmmm Where in essex are you A BF representative will call round (if its ok with you) to capture the beast.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back