• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Newbie question bird identification (2 Viewers)

Steve I live in braintree. The word "capture" bothers me though!
seb_seb sorry you've lost me on that one!!

One more pic just taken

Attachments

• dvc00093.jpg
    dvc00093.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 292
Steve if you look at the link mentioned earlier the bird appears plastic there as well it is obviously a strange looking bird that doesn't photograph very well.

Hi seb_seb
We get mainly Tits with the occasional Robin and wagtails( I think) and it would appear White Throated laughing Thrush's (The non plastic variety)

I have a grey wagtail that visits the garden regularly in winter. As well as taking food from our man-made stream he takes stuff from under the bird table.

Michael
You've got me looking in my one and only bird book now! And now I’m not so sure if it was a wagtail. It was white/black with a wagtail like tail. I will keep my eye out for it again (careful your getting me interested in this subject now!)

As for the mystery birds, they’re not visiting as a pair for the last few days; I'm not sure if it’s the same one each time or if the other has disappeared

Hmmm . . . watch out for a brood of fledged young White-throated Laughing-thrushes in about a month or so.

Or maybe a cat got one of them.

-------------

Black & white with a long tail does sound like Pied Wagtail, unless it is tiny and also has pinkish on it, in which case check out Long-tailed Tit.

Michael

Last edited:
seb seb....... It did indeed, I didn't like to mention that before because to tell you the truth I wasn't 100% sure if Wagtails really did wag their tales ! I didn't want to subject myself to anymore derision from apon high not knowing anything about your subject.
I've just looked out the window the Laughing thrush is back again, seems like the same time each day. I'm also keeping an eye out for strange men with big nets :)

Why don't you organise an open day to let the doubting thomas take a look at it, I see Dave smith is local, and I live between Stansted and Dunmow and then we can finalise the matter. I have seen many escapees in my time and many people do not believe you.

Mark

I too have found this thread to be very entertaining and not a little intrigueing. Like I supect may others I tended towrds thinking this was a wind up of some sort - not sure what I think now (and of course many apologies to okitsme if it is for real).

I did come across a picture, while clearing out my many rubbish photos today, that shows how a real live bird can look rather stuffed or "plastic" which I attach here. I can guarantee you that this is a real robin and that I am not faking it to add to my Kent list ;)

One wonders whether anyone would belive me though if it were an Ovenbird in a west midlands garden or a white throated laughing thrush that had hopped a cage somnewhere.

Ivan

Attachments

• dscn0045 (small).jpg
    dscn0045 (small).jpg
    59 KB · Views: 283
I have to say that my first thought was that whether the bird was real of "fake" was not the question. I felt like we might have been being put to the test, to check out our credentials.

I thought there was a nice bit of banter between Steve and okitsme which kept everything rolling nicely!

Also I thought "okitsme" was a strange choice as a pseudo, and might have been picked for a reason - nice and anonymous, but a message perhaps?

(Mind you, any time any conspiracy theory goes past, I jump in with two feet!)

I'm now more convinced that everything was genuine, and I think our more expert members showed us in a good light, with their ability to solve the mystery.

You gotta say though, I don't think anyone has made such a significant contribution to the Forum from their first posting as you did, okitsme!!!

Nice one!:t:

I thought 'Okitsme' might be a Japanese name, until I realised it's just "OK, it's me". Clever name I think! I'm guessing he's young, maybe 15-20-ish, from the style of writing

Michael

Ok my turn, I think he Or She, knows exactly whats what!!
probrably some sort of twitcher,maybe 400 club? The answers especially about a wagtail wagging its tail, were to patronising and ridiculous for my money. Even someone with a brain no bigger than a tree, may of been able to figure out a wagtail wagged its tail.( no offence intended)

Still it was good value while it lasted.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back