• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

SIGMA 400mm F5.6 APO HSM or Sigma 170-500mm (1 Viewer)

CurtMorgan

Which of these is better for the Canon 350d? I now have the money for either. The first I can get mint/used in Australia for half the cost of the second, but am concerned about import duty to the USA. Those close to me say prime is better than zoom. (the second lens is the Sigma Zoom Telephoto 170-500mm f/5-6.3 APO DG Aspherical Autofocus).

Last edited:
There are one canon mount, sigma 400mm f5.6 apo hsm macro in a store in montreal (quebec canada) new for around $800.00 CDN, around the same price as the 170-500 A lot less far than australia.

If going for the 400 5.6 Sigma this is an excellent lens but do make sure that it will work on a canon digital camera some only work a maximum apperture.To work at all appertures it would have needed to have been rechipped by Sigma (they stopped rechipping about 2 years ago here in the UK)

Sigma 400mm F5.6 APO HSM

avan said:
There are one canon mount, sigma 400mm f5.6 apo hsm macro in a store in montreal (quebec canada) new for around $800.00 CDN, around the same price as the 170-500 A lot less far than australia.

Can you tell me how I could buy this lens in Quebec and if the import duty to New York would make it too expensive?

The lens are at Cameras Simon Inc. www.simonscameras.com
phone free: 1-800-374 6667
I don't know how it work for the duty fees on your border side. Here, usualy, it's the provincial and federal taxes + a small fee for the custom. Maybe they know at Cameras Simon or contact your local custom house.
For the compatibility with digital, what I know it's that the APO macro HSM model work, but maybe i'm wrong as I never try it. In an other store they have a sigma 400mm f5.6 non HSM for Nikon and it doesn't work with the digital.
Hope this help
Alain

I just check in the web site, they doesn't have on it, but I know they have one in stock, I see it last week. be better to phone or send an e-mail to the store.

will call

Thank you, Avan. I'll call.

Curt

avan said:
I just check in the web site, they doesn't have on it, but I know they have one in stock, I see it last week. be better to phone or send an e-mail to the store.

CurtMorgan said:
SIGMA 400mm F5.6 APO HSM or Sigma 170-500mm. Which of these is better for the Canon 350d?

I think that would depend very highly on how you shoot (zoom vs. prime).
Totally different worlds in terms of shooting techniques, and totally different worlds in terms of bokeh, lens quality through the aperture range.

I think it would be more appropriate to compare a 120-300 2.8 lens to the 17-500, and a 500 prime to the 400 prime.

Just my opinion.

-Ken

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back