• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

General approach for UK trips (1 Viewer)

willie45

Hi everyone,

I need to get my winter gear sorted out. In the past I had a fishing jacket which was very warm, waterproof and windproof with a detachable lining. Trouble was it was heavy, and troubled with condensation.

It's given up now and I'm inclined to go for 3 layers as follows:

Thermal vest
Reasonable shirt
Lightweight fleece if weather is severe
Cheapish outer waterproof/windproof/breathable jacket with hood to avoid expensive tears on thorns etc.

The idea is that I can use waterproof outer in summer showers and build up the layers as needed in colder weather. Does this sound good? I'm wondering if a fleece is good or whether a good quality thermal vest with pullover would be at least as good? Advice would be great.

I'm guessing to might be tricky to get the outer layer size right ( too baggy in summer and tight in winter? ) Also I'm hoping to shed 2.5 stones in the next few months so don't want to spend a fortune at the moment

Can anyone recommend good outer jackets and fleece -( or should I go for jumper and thermals as alternatives? )

Thank you for your help

From a cost effective perspective you can get ex-military Gore-Tex jackets pretty cheap on the 'bay'. Most are in some sort of camouflage pattern which can be helpful if trying to get close to wildlife. Otherwise Berghaus AQ2 jackets are good value (about £65) and they also make good quality base layers and fleeces.
As a side issue if you do manage to lose 2.5 stone (good luck with that, I've been trying for 10 years....) you can always re-sell military gear and not lose much money on it.

HTH

Nick

Thanks Nick. I will look into them.

I did lose 3 stones a couple of years back but unfortunately put most of it back on again. I will persevere ;-)

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back