• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help with digiscoping with Celestron Ultima 100 and Nikon DS5100 (1 Viewer)

Sunday's Child

I have a Celestron Ultama 100 spotting scope which I have been satisfied with over the past decade. Recently I wanted to take some birding photographs with it and purchased a Celestron Nikon T-Ring.

Perhaps reflecting that I'm not the worlds most technically competent photographer even though I've set my Nikon DS5100 (Digital SLR) to manual and adjusted the shutter speed, I can't get an in focus image when looking through the view finder and any photographs I take are blank.

Before I give up in disgust and count my blessings that a T-Ring is inexpensive, what am I doing wrong?

I presume the T-ring will screw onto the back of the eyepiece on the scope, should be a thread under the rubber eyecup. Focusing will be done via the spotting scopes focuser. Magnification can be quite high with this method so increase the ISO on the camera and reduce the shutter speed. Try the lowest magnification for the eyepiece first to see the brightest image. That should be pretty much it. It's not the easiest way to digiscope and image quality is usually only average at best but you should be able to get something out of this method.

Paul.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back