• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Samsung Galaxy S6 for phonescoping (1 Viewer)

Szabi

Hi,
I'm about to buy a new phone, and would like to choose one that is good for taking photos through my telescope. I have a Swarovski ATM.
Does any of you have experience with the Samsung Galaxy S6 model? MP-wise it is a good phone I think.
Thanks a lot!
Szabi

It works well, either hand-held or using an adapter. I use it with the 20-60 zoom and see a little vignetting, which can usually be cropped out. You might get less of this with the 25-50 zoom or one of the fixed eyepieces. The only thing I don't really like is that the images can come out looking over-saturated-a feature of the built-in software, though you can always de-saturate images later using either the editing software on your phone or on a computer.

I have wondered whether other phones such as iphones are better in this respect, but have never had the opportunity to compare. For pure convenience having a decent camera on your phone is great, but I think better results can be achieved using a proper camera.

It is possible to configure the settings using the 'pro' setting of the camera app, so exposure compensation, saturation etc can be tweaked before taking a picture, but frustratingly none of these changes are 'remembered' when using 'auto' mode. This also applies to burst mode, video mode etc. so more advanced settings are only useable in single shot mode-not ideal for bird photos!

Last edited:
Hi, I use the S6 on the Swaro ATM HD 80, with the Kowa adapter. Very happy with it, works great!

Vignetting is very small at 50x (switching from 16:9 to 4:3 format cuts out the black parts), a bit more at 25x, but only a little zooming in is needed.

My wife has the latest Samsung and the camera is amazing, superb colour reproduction and the macro is stunning.

It's actually better than my pocket digital camera and I'd actually consider buying it just for the camera!

A

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back