• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sax Zim Bog in Late August (1 Viewer)

BoonHogganbeck

I'm going to be in MN for the last week of August and was considering a one-day excursion to Sax Zim.

I'm interested in seeing the following species:

Great Grey Owl
Black Backed Woodpecker
Black-billed Magpie
Boreal Chickadee
Sedge Wren
Bohemian Waxwing
LeConte's Sparrow
Brewer's Blackbird
Evening Grosbeak

Can anyone provide me with any information concerning their status during the last week of August/first week of Sept? What's the likelihood of finding any of these species during this time frame?

I've started looking at the data on e-bird concerning Sax Zim but was hoping I could get some first-hand, local birder insight.

Any help would be appreciated.

Leconte's Sparrow & Sedge Wren should be easy to find in the right habitat. Black-billed Magpie is hit or miss. Everything else is easier to get in Winter. Get a copy of Kim Eckert's Bird's of MN and it will give you a good idea of where to go to look for things.

Sign up on MOU-NET and you can track what is being seen, There are lot of birder's from that area that post regularly.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back