• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swallow-tailed Cotinga (1 Viewer)

Richard Klim

-------------------------
Hennessey 2011. Species rank of Phibalura (flavirostris) boliviana based on plumage, soft part color, vocalizations, and seasonal movements. Wilson J Ornithol: 123(3): 454-458. [abstract]

Ridgeley & Tudor 2009 (Birds of S America: Passerines) recognises Phibalura boliviana Palkachupa Cotinga, citing Bromfield et al 2004:
  • Bromfield, Ritchie, Bromfield, Ritchie & Hennessey 2004. New information on plumage, nesting, behaviour and vocalisations of the Bolivian Swallow-tailed Cotinga Phibalura flavirostris boliviana from the Apolo area of Madidi National Park, Bolivia. Cotinga 21: 63-67. [pdf]
Snow 2004 (HBW 9):
Geographically isolated race boliviana rather distinctive, may represent a separate species.

Last edited:
SACC: only four (Stiles, Robbins, Pacheco and Cadena) have voted. 2 "yes", one "no", and one mas amenos "don't know" (Robbins), who seemed more persuaded to vote "no" than "yes".

I've not seen boliviana in the field, but personally I find most of the arguments for species status (bare-parts coloration, seasonal movements or lack of them, geographical isolation, etc.) pathetically weak. Even, the relative lack of sexual dimorphism argument (which I've used myself once or twice in respect of other taxa in far-distant groups) isn't quite as strong, in my view, in this case.

Bennett might be right and his knowledge of boliviana is certainly far superior to mine, but on the other hand, in general, his knowledge of nominate flavirostris, in both the field and museum, is much weaker.

Needless to say, I didn't split them in Cotingas and Manakins.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back