• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The Polish Mr. & Mrs. Branicki's in different "Branicki's Birds" (1 Viewer)

Björn Bergenholtz

(former alias "Calalp")
Sweden
Good Heavens! I thought I´d have a quick look at: Andean Ibis Theristicus (caudatus/melanopis) branickii BERLEPSCH & STOLZMANN 1894 (a k a "Branicki's Buff-necked Ibis") … I just wanted to have a quick look on its type description to check on its former Swedish name (in line with its older English name, mentioned above) just to verify who its commemorating.

And found my self in a eponymical wilderness!

The type description is: de Berlepsch, H & J Stolzmann. 1894. Descriptions de quelques Espèces nouvelles dʼOiseaux du Pérou central. The Ibis (Serie 6, vol. 6): 385-405. (attached)

And there it states, for No 17. "Theristicus branickii" (page 404-405): "Cette espèces nouvelle, que nous dédions à M. le Comte Xavier Branicki, …"

Whoops! Without knowing any French; There´s a "Comte Branicki" I´ve never heard of!?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And it doesn´t end there! Berlepsch & Stolzmann describes 16 other New "Species" in this article and they serve us with even more (or less) mind-boggling (at least for me!) eponymical information (and challenges!) … some contradictory to what I´ve seen:

No 2: "Pseudochloris sharpei" (today P. uropygialii sharpei) = "… à notre excellent ami M. le Dr. R. B. Sharpe, de Londres." (= of course, as in so many other species; Richard Bowdler Sharpe, 1847–1909)

No 8: "Siptornis taczanowskii" (today Asthenes flammulata taczanowskii) = (docteur) "Taczanowski" (= Wladyslaw Taczanowski 1819–1890)

No 13: "Spathura annæ" (today Ocreatus underwoodii annae) ="Nous nous permettons de dédier cette espèces nouvelle dʼoiseau-mouche à Madame la Comtesse Anna Branicka, épouse du Comte Xavier Branicki. (= ???)

No 14: "Macropsalis kalinowskii" (today Uropsalis segmentata kalinowskii) = "Jean Kalinowski" (= Jan Kalinowski, 1860–1942)

No 15: "Dendrobates valdizani" (today Veniliornis dignus valdizani) = "Nous dédions cette nouvelles espèces a Don Dario Valdizan de Lima, ami de notre voyageur, …" (= ???)

No 16: Leptosittaca branickii (the same, a k a Golden-plumed Parakeet or "Branicki's Conure") = "Cette espèces, fort intéressante, que nous avons lʼhonneur de dédier à M. le Comte Ladislas Branicki, a été découvertes par Jean Kalinowski dans les montagnes très élevées du Pérou central." (= Wladyslaw Branicki, 1848–1914? Or?)

No 17: (as above): Theristicus branickii = "… M. le Comte Xavier Branicki, …" …" (= ???)

Anyhow; clearly no 16 and 17 commemorates different persons … or?

As if it wasn´t hard enough trying to trace down the Branickis we already knew of, with their many titles and multiple spellings in different transcriptions of various versions of polish names!? Frankly I´m quite happy that the Swedish Ornithologist's Name Committee today want to call the first mentioned (and last-mentioned!) specie "Andinsk ibis", in line with its English modern name; Andean Ibis.

But that doesn’t stop me from wanting to know who Count "Xavier Branicki" and his wife Countesse "Anna Branicka" was!?

Maybe some of our Polish readers know!?

Attachments

• Ibis 1894 - pp.385-405.pdf
    12 MB · Views: 110
Strong candidate, dates seem about right:

http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xavier_Branicki 1815ish - 1879;

For some reason he was in Egypt when he died, but mostly (since 1849) lived in this humble abode: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Château_de_Montrésor
(mentioned there as "friend of Napoleon III"; "Branicki's descendants still own the castle.")

Born in Poland but naturalized French; big-time financier.
No obvious connection to Peru nor natural history so far, but that doesn't discourage me in such brief mentions.

Last edited:
Promising lead at the very beginning of the article (see PDF: bottom of page 385): the collector Kalinowski (whose expedition to Peru found the specimens being discussed [plus more in Bolivia later in the same trip]) is described as a "correspondent of the Branicki Museum in Warsaw."

Bingo! http://www.miiz.waw.pl/en/27-podstawowe/podstawowe/137-histinst.html

Wladislaw is mentioned here, as is Kalinowski, though not Xavier.

Last edited:
It seems there was a second Count Xavier Branicki who lived from 1864 to 1926 and who travelled with Jan Kalinovski in the 1880s and 1890s (in particular to Korea, Japan, Amur region, Peru, and Bolivia).

Last edited:
Yep, Montresor looks like a false lead. (edit: not quite! See next post.) A biographical sketch of the Montresor Xavier Branicki (1816-1879) is here: http://www.medias19.org/docannexe/file/6934/dictionnaire_biographique_de_la_touraine.pdf

He married once, to a widow named Pelagie Zamoyska (1830-1894). No Anna. And no mention of birds. (And still no explanation of why he was in Egypt when he died.)
He died without legitimate heirs, but he had a brother Gregoire-Constantin-Augustin Branicki and an illegitimate son Xavier-Constantin-Augustin Branicki. The son was an ambassador [correction: attache'] but resigned, apparently due to a bitter dispute over use of the family coat of arms:
http://books.google.com/books?id=f1...a=X&ei=g6E8UuzEAsXk4AOp_4HYDQ&ved=0CDsQ6AEwAw

The illegitimate son is therefore another Xavier Branicki to consider, but seems a bit of a long shot with no obvious connection to Kalinowski.

there's also a constantine branicki connected to the warsaw museum...

Last edited:
Looks like Locustella found our man, and it's the same one Melanie mentioned. He was the nephew of my candidate, and inherited Montresor (plus lots of other property) via "my" xavier's brother (since "my xavier's illegitimate son did not inherit).

First of all thanks to "nartreb", Melanie and "locustella"!

Ok, time for a try to "wrap-up" (at least "my part" of) this thread ... and ... as far as I understand it (in relation to different languages, different countries, different rules, transcriptions and traditions!?):

Andean Ibis Theristicus (caudatus/melanopis) branickii BERLEPSCH & STOLZMANN 1894 (a k a "Branicki's Buff-necked Ibis") commemorates;
the Polish Noble, collector of Naturalia, ornithologist, traveller and expedition funder: Count Ksawery Władysław Branicki (1864–1926), whose first name often is transcribed (in various languages) as "Xavier", and whose Noble family name thereby often is written "von Branicki" or when talking of the dynasty "Branicki Korczak".

He apparently travelled together with the discoverer of the Ibis; Jan (Jean) Kalinowski (Kalinovski) in the 1880's and 1890's – both to Eastern Asia and South America.*

As for the other ... the Ibis is the only one that commemorates any Branicki in its Swedish name, and they (the Swedish names) are the ones I´ve been trying to understand. The only other two that I´ve devoted some time trying to understand, this in their relation to Ksawery (Xavier), just to "pin him down", is as follow:

The Humming-bird "Spathura annæ" (today Ocreatus underwoodii annae) commemorates: his wife; Countesse Anna Branicka (female ending, common in Slavic languages, nee Anna Maria Potocka, 1863–1953).

and the Golden-plumed Parakeet Leptosittaca branickii (a k a or "Branicki's Conure") commemorates: Count Władysław Michał Branicki (1848–1914)*.

* I haven´t been able to understand if they really were cousins or brothers, or their actuall relation/function towards the "Branicki (Zoological) Museum" in Warzaw!?

Anyone disagree?

The other birds on this thread, as well as other "branickii Birds" I leave to you all. For me all those Polish names, siblings and titles are an impenetrable linguistic djungle! Sorry. See for example this link: http://translate.google.pl/translate?hl=en&sl=pl&u=http://pl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ksawery_Branicki_%28przyrodnik%29&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dhttps://pl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ksawery_Branicki_%252528przyrodnik%252529%26num%3D20%26safe%3Doff

If anyone doesn´t have any objections (?!) ... Branicki, over and out!

Last edited:
Last edited:
It sure looks that way ...

This also gives us ... my erroneous "Stolzmann" vs yours "Sztolcman":

● the Polish zoologist, Taxidermist/Conservator, explorer and collector Jan Stanisław Sztolcman (1854–1928), whose name often is written Jean Stanislaus Stolzmann – commemorated in a few synonyms ... born 19 November 1854 ... who died 29 April 1928.

Like I said, "Taphrospilus": well found!

Cheers!

PS. What´s the difference between a Taxidermist vs a Conservator?

I can understand you, Calalp.
Especially because the translation "grandson of Targowica Francis Xavier" is also not of much help. Looking at the underlined word it seems to be part of the name but that´s wrong, it just mentions to which area the man belonged to.
Nice coat of arms of the Branicki´s above the fireplace, posted on the German Wikipedia side about chateau Montrésor: https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schloss_Montrésor#mediaviewer/Datei:Montresor05.jpg

I can understand you, Calalp.
Especially because the translation "grandson of Targowica Francis Xavier" is also not of much help. Looking at the underlined word it seems to be part of the name but that´s wrong, it just mentions to which area the man belonged to.

In history of Poland, Francis Xavier/Franciszek Ksawery Branicki was a nobleman, and Targowica confederation was the infamous political event which he was leading. Further information about him and his relatives and associates should be easy to track. See:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franciszek_Ksawery_Branicki
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Targowica_Confederation

Some doubts on the years for Kalinowski ...

Sorry to re-open this old thread, but I now have some confused doubts on the years for Kalinowski ... (mentioned in post #1, 3, 7 and 10) i.e. Jan Kalinowski (1860–194X) a k a "Jean Kalinowski", Polish collector, in Asia/Siberia (1879-1885), Korea (1885-1888), Peru (1889-1890), Bolivia (1891), then settled down in Peru from where he sent specimens occationally all the way until 1933 ... but when did he actually die?

He´s commemorated in various birds, in today's HBW Alive Key explained as:
kalinowskii
Jan Kalinowski (1860-1942) Polish collector in Ussuria 1883-1885, Korea and Japan 1885-1888, resident in Peru 1889-1942 (subsp. Dives warszewiczi, syn. Dryocopus javensis richardsi, syn. Leptotila verreauxi decipiens, syn. Micrastur ruficollis pelzelni, syn. Nothoprocta branickii, subsp. Uropsalis segmentata) (cf. his son Celestino Kalinowski Villamonte (1924-1986) Peruvian ornithologist, conservationist).
Anyone know what made Jiří Mlíkovský change from "Kalinowski, Jan (1860- ca. 1942)" that he used in, for example, 2007 (here), into: "Jan Kalinowski (1860–1941)", in 2011 (here). ... ?

Something must have made him change the death year.

Anyone know what, why, or the details behind it?

Björn

PS. Without understanding any Polish it´s just about useless (at least for me) trying to search the internet, but from what I can tell, after having fumbled about with Google for a few hours, it looks like he (at least according to some sites) was born in 1860, probably in Zielonej (today's Wesoła) or Okuniew, in the District Gmina Halinów, Poland ... and it seems like he died, most likely in 1941, in Cadena, in Brasil or Peru. But that is nothing but my own guesses, far, far from reliable.

And here Estuardo Núñez (2009) writes the years for Jan Kalinowski as "1865-1941" ... Sigh! I´m lost.

Anyone know better?
---

Last edited:
Found as well

Jan Kalinowski murió en el año 1941 y su hijo Celestyn continúa actualmente la profesión de su padre

and found as well Cadena w Peru (on google maps in the middle of the jungle) which would be supported by here (without undertstanding polish as well)

Jan Kalinowski zmarł w czerwcu 1941 roku pozostawiając najliczniejszą rodzinę pochodzenia polskiego w Peru.

And here Juan Kalinowski p. 6 of 15 (or 83) was living in the forest.

Last edited:
Suddenly born in 1857! :eek!:

Martin's first link (Post #19):
KALINOWSKI Jan (17.05.1857 - 06.1941)
Urodził się 17 maja 1857 w Okuniewie – miejscowość położona 25 km na wschód od centrum Warszawy. Jego ojciec był leśniczym, więc dzieciństwo spędził w lasach tego regionu, co za pewne miało wpływ na jego zamiłowanie do przyrody, której poświęcił całe życie.

Wiosną 1879 roku, młody Jan Kalinowski rozpoczął swe wojaże przyrodnicze od Zachodniej Syberii gdzie został wysłany przez Władysława Taczanowskiego - kustosza Gabinetu Zoologicznego Szkoły Głównej w Warszawie, na prośbę znajdującego się po zesłaniu słynnego przyrodnika i lekarza Benedykta Dybowskiego, który zajmował się pracą badawczą i potrzebował pomocy przy zbieraniu egzemplarzy ssaków, ptaków i bezkręgowców. Ten okres był znakomitym doświadczeniem dla niego mając tak znakomitego nauczyciela. Jan Kalinowski wówczas nie tylko zdobył doświadczenie zoologiczne, lecz również medyczne. Wspólnie przebyli trasę od Syberii Zachodniej do półwyspu Kamczatka. Razem z Dybowskim zbierali i badali okazy przyrodnicze. Od 1885 roku Jan Kalinowski kontynuował podróż sam do Korei, gdzie zebrał blisko 157 egzemplarzy nowych gatunków ptaków. W 1888 roku został wezwany przez Władysława Taczanowskiego do Warszawy.

W tym czasie Gabinet Zoologiczny w Warszawie posiadał bogate zbiory, do których przyczynili się w dużej mierze hrabiowie Aleksander i Konstanty Braniccy, przywożąc eksponaty ze swoich podróży jak również finansowali podróże innych przyrodników oraz działalność Gabinetu Zoologicznego w Warszawie. Realizacji zamiłowań i ambicji Konstantego Branickiego sprzyjała jego niezależność finansowa. Ukoronowaniem, – choć pośmiertnym – dążeń, by zgromadzone zbiory uchronić przed wywiezieniem do Moskwy lub Petersburga i udostępnić społeczeństwu polskiemu, było utworzenie przez jego syna Ksawerego w 1887 r. prywatnego Muzeum Przyrodniczego im. Branickich. Będąc wówczas dyrektorem Gabinetu Zoologicznego w Warszawie Władysław Taczanowski i znając bogactwo naturalne Peru zaproponował Janowi Kalinowskiemu nową wyprawę tym razem do Peru w celu wzbogacenia Muzeum Przyrodniczego im. Branickich o eksponaty z Ameryki Południowej.

Kalinowski wypłynął do Peru we wrześniu 1888 roku. Jego praca polegała na zbieraniu i badaniu okazów przyrodniczych na obszarze od północy Peru do regionu Camanti w dżungli na wschód od Cuzco aż do dżungli w Boliwii - obszar, który jeszcze nie był naukowo przebadany.
Na początku osiadł w regionie La Convención – Quillabamba, a później przeniósł się do regionu Quincemil, należących administracyjnie do Departamentu Cuzco. Zadecydował się pozostać w Qincemil, ponieważ znalazł tutaj dużą różnorodność flory i fauny. Ożenił się z Marią Villamonte, urodzoną w Cusco, z którą miał czternaścioro dzieci. Założył hacjendę „Cadena”, gdzie uprawiał trzcinę cukrową, drzewa owocowe, awokado i inne uprawy. Tamże wychowało się całe jego liczne potomstwo.

Zebrał blisko 500 gatunków ptaków. Kilka gatunków ssaków w nazwie łacińskiej nosi jego nazwisko jak na przykład gryzoń aguti (Dasyprocta kalinowskii) i pewien rodzaj kuropatwy (Nothoprocta kalinowskii). Wysyłał zbiory dla Muzeum Przyrodniczego Branickich jak również do Anglii i Stanów Zjednoczonych - głównie dla Muzeum Historii Naturalnej w Washingtonie. Musiał jeździć konno na wybrzeże, poprzez Andy i pustynie do portu, aby móc wysyłać swe zbiory.

Jan Kalinowski zmarł w czerwcu 1941 roku pozostawiając najliczniejszą rodzinę pochodzenia polskiego w Peru.

Google Translate:
KALINOWSKI Jan (17.05.1857 - 06.1941)
He was born May 17, 1857 in Okuniew - a town located 25 km east of Warsaw. His father was a forester, so he spent his childhood in the forests of the region, which had some influence on his love of nature, which he had dedicated his life to.

In the spring of 1879, young Jan Kalinowski began his natural journeys from West Siberia where he was sent by Władysław Taczanowski - the custodian of the Warsaw Central Zoo's Zoological Office, at the request of the famous naturalist and physician Benedyczek Dybowski, who had been researching and needed help. When collecting specimens of mammals, birds and invertebrates. This period was a great experience for him with such a great teacher. Not only did Jan Kalinowski gain a zoological experience but also a medical degree. Together they traveled from Western Siberia to Kamchatka Peninsula. Together with Dybowski, they collected and researched natural specimens. From 1885 Jan Kalinowski continued his journey alone to Korea, where he collected nearly 157 copies of new bird species. In 1888 he was summoned by Władysław Taczanowski to Warsaw.

At that time, the Warsaw Zoological Office had rich collections, largely contributed by Counts Alexander and Konstanty Braniccy, bringing exhibits on their journeys as well as financing other naturalists' journeys and the activities of the Zoological Office in Warsaw. Konstanty Branicki's ambition and ambition was conducive to his financial independence. The crowning, though posthumous, efforts to save the collections from being removed to Moscow or St. Petersburg and to make available to the Polish public was the creation of his private Ksawery in 1887 by the private. Branickis. When Władysław Taczanowski, the director of the Zoological Office in Warsaw and acquainted with Peruvian natural resources, proposed to John Kalinowski a new expedition this time to Peru to enrich the Museum of Natural History. Branicki's exhibits from South America.

Kalinowski sailed to Peru in September 1888. His work was to collect and study natural specimens from northern Peru to the Camanti region in the jungle east of Cuzco to the jungle of Bolivia, an area that had not yet been scientifically studied.
At first he settled in the La Convención - Quillabamba region and later moved to the Quincemil region, administratively owned by the Cuzco Department. He decided to stay in Qincemil because he found here a large variety of flora and fauna. He married Maria Villamonte, born in Cusco, with fourteen children. He founded the hacienda "Cadena" where he cultivated sugarcane, fruit trees, avocados and other crops. All his numerous offspring were raised.

He collected nearly 500 species of birds. Several species of mammals in the Latin name bear its name, such as the rodent aguti (Dasyprocta kalinowskii) and some kind of partridge (Nothoprocta kalinowskii). He sent collections to the Branicki Museum of Natural History as well as to England and the United States - primarily for the Washington Natural History Museum. He had to ride a horse to the coast, through Andy and the desert to the harbor, to be able to send his harvest.

Jan Kalinowski died in June 1941 leaving the most numerous family of Polish origin in Peru.
For what it´s worth ...
--

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back