• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Thoughts on the SLC WB? (1 Viewer)

jremmons

Wildlife Biologist
Hello all,

I'm in the market for a new pair of binoculars and like the idea of the SLC WB. They fit the price range, specs, and other 'visible' specifications I'd like to get. However, I've only tested them in limited settings.

For reference, some of the higher-end binoculars I've owned and gotten rid of include: 8x32 Swarovision, 8x32 Nikon SE, 8x32 Victory T*FL, 8x42 Vortex Razor HD, 8x30 Nikon EII, 7x42 Victory T*FL, 8.5x44 Kowa Genesis, 10x42 Swarovski EL. The Victory models were not ideal for color (to my eyes), the Kowa too big and bulky, the Razor just not quite there in terms of sharpness, and just ergonomic issues with the others.

I'm mainly considering the SLC in comparison to the 8.5x42 Swarovision and 8x42 HT, so input with specific comparison to these models would be ideal.

Thanks friends,
Justin

Justin,

Optical is the SLC the same as the SV, except for the FF and the close focus. The HT is between both in that aspect.

Within a few weeks Gijs will publish his test between the 8 and 10 times SV/HT/SF/NV/SLC.

Jan

Justin,

First, I assume that you are looking for the 8X42 rather than the 10X42 model of the SLC.

My take is the Swaro SLC WB (and the prior Swaro SLC WB HD) along with the Zeiss Victory HT are the top classic design (no field flatteners) roof binoculars out there. I have the Swaro SLC WB HD 8X42 and my brother has the Zeiss HT 8X42. It has been a while since I compared them side by side but my conclusion was that they are equivalent, although not identical. The SLC is a little more compact (but not light) and has extremely easy eye placement and the Zeiss appears slightly brighter and I think it will handle haze and possibly glare just a touch better. The SLC is better with glare than a couple of Swaro EL SV models that I have. It is s tough choice. The primary reason I went with the SLC WB HD (used) was because my brother already had the HT which I could use and a good deal came up at the right time on the SLC. They do vary in color balance but both are close enough to neutral for me that it is not a factor.

The big issue for you would most likely be which handles CA the best. Both seem good to me be I am not CA sensitive so most models look good. Based on what I have read on these two and on what I know in general about the Zeiss and Swaro lines, my guess is that the Zeiss HT would be a little better for you in the CA department.

Do consider the prior Swaro SLC WB HD 8X42. It is has a closer focus than the current version and is supposed have the same end optical result. (A few folks said they can see a small difference but everyone from Swaro that I have spoke with said they both have the same otpical result.)

Here is a NIB SLC WB HD from a Canada seller at a good price. It would be smart to confirm the serial number with Swaro of N. America for warranty coverage. The SLC WB HD version originally sold for about $2,200.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Swarovski-O...287222?hash=item237fb2ea76:g:BHEAAOSwOyJX4ZWB

Agree with most all of the info above. I have a 8x SLC HD ( and have had the WB before- basically same bin). I also have owned in the past most of the binos that you mention above. I loved the size of the 8x32 SV, but optically like the 8x42 SLC better. I only still own the 8x42 SLC HD.

I did extensive testing side by side with a 8.5x42 SV that I had for about (3) weeks. I kept the SLC, as it was to my eyes an optical equal- except for the .5 ^ mag and the FF lens. I actually thought that in the models I tested, to my eyes the SLC was a bit "crisper" in the center field. And the SLC was nice and bright. And for my hands, I liked the size and ergos of the SLC over the SV in the 42mm size. But obviously that is subjective.

IMO- I think that the SLC is the all around gem in the Swaro line. I do like the 10x50 SV, and I do like the size of the 8x32 SV; but for an all around performer I really like the 8x42 SLC. That and a good spotter does all that I need.

Don't forget to try the Leica ultravid hd plus. If you thought the Zeiss colors were off you might like the Leica as I sure do.

All,

Thanks for the comments and information. As I was waiting for the sale of my 8x32 SVs to finish, the SLC-WB I was looking at was bought, so I ended up purchasing a pair of the SLC-HD Bruce mentioned. They won't be here for another week or so since they are coming from the strange, exotic land of Canadia, but I'll be sure to report back. I've looked through the SLC-HDs before and from my recollection, they were the best binos I'd tried at the time.

Justin

All,

Thanks for the comments and information. As I was waiting for the sale of my 8x32 SVs to finish, the SLC-WB I was looking at was bought, so I ended up purchasing a pair of the SLC-HD Bruce mentioned. They won't be here for another week or so since they are coming from the strange, exotic land of Canadia, but I'll be sure to report back. I've looked through the SLC-HDs before and from my recollection, they were the best binos I'd tried at the time.

Justin

Justin,

Just discovered a sale on THESE, appears to still be available...hope it's not too late...

Ted

Congrats Justin!
You likely are getting the same SLC I have. It would be hard for me to imagine someone that didn't really enjoy that binocular. I believe you will too. Optics and FOV are all there. Handy, and great ergonomics. Mine is the third SLC I've owned and still own all three. About as tough as they come. A jack of all trades binocular.

Hope you enjoy it!

Received the SLC WB-HD yesterday. They were brand new in the package, produced in 2011. I used them for about 2 hours today for some waterfowl and wetlands monitoring and figured I'd post some preliminary thoughts.

Mechanics/Construction: Very high quality, as would be expected. I don't notice the issue that some users reported where the armoring protruded and interfered with the focus-knob. Focus knob isn't bad, smoother than the original EL and EL SV I had, but not as smooth as some other alpha quality instruments I've owned. There is no slack, slop, or play, but there is a distinct difference when changinge directions of the knob; it isn't particularly rough or too loose, just not the most smooth I've used (the EDG). Eyecups are of high quality, and I like that the objective lenses are recessed into the housing of the binocular - I do wish there was another intermittent stop just below the first stop, but that is a minor complaint. These bins are weighty, weighing more than most of my last few models (8x32 SV, 8x32 FL, 8x42 Razor HD, 7x42 FL), but they are balanced well and the relatively thin neckstrap actually provided a surprising amount of comfort.

Optics/Ergonomics: Optically, these are every bit as good as the EL SV, but with some differences in design. I would say the two control chromatic aberration identically (i.e. very well, maybe not as well as the Kowa Genesis or FL, though). In terms of brightness, I would say the SLC has a very slight advantage over the SV and seems very similar to the FL. In terms of color neutrality I would say it is very good, but maybe with a slight (very, very slight) warm bias; the colors certainly looked saturated but not quite to the Leica Ultraivd level of over-saturation/artificial looking. It is certainly better than the FL in this respect, as I always found that trended towards a yellow tone, but the SLC is ever so slightly behind the almost perfectly neutral SV.
In terms of glare suppression I would say these are definitely superior to the SV and FL. In terms of edge performance, these are again below the SV, but for a binocular lacking field flattening lenses I have never seen a cleaner edge or wider sweet-spot. Eye placement is very easy and I didn't find myself fighting the binocular too much, something which was always an issue with the FL models I've owned (7x42 and 8x32).

I'll update my thoughts after more time, but I was excited to share my initial impressions. I've mentioned before that I thought the SLC (although that was the newer SLC-WB model) was the best pair of binoculars I'd ever used, and I think that may still stand true. Of all the current alpha models, I've tried or owned all except the Noctivid for significant period of time, and can't say I'd prefer any of them to this SLC-HD.

Justin

Received the SLC WB-HD yesterday. They were brand new in the package, produced in 2011. I used them for about 2 hours today for some waterfowl and wetlands monitoring and figured I'd post some preliminary thoughts.

Mechanics/Construction: Very high quality, as would be expected. I don't notice the issue that some users reported where the armoring protruded and interfered with the focus-knob. Focus knob isn't bad, smoother than the original EL and EL SV I had, but not as smooth as some other alpha quality instruments I've owned. There is no slack, slop, or play, but there is a distinct difference when changinge directions of the knob; it isn't particularly rough or too loose, just not the most smooth I've used (the EDG). Eyecups are of high quality, and I like that the objective lenses are recessed into the housing of the binocular - I do wish there was another intermittent stop just below the first stop, but that is a minor complaint. These bins are weighty, weighing more than most of my last few models (8x32 SV, 8x32 FL, 8x42 Razor HD, 7x42 FL), but they are balanced well and the relatively thin neckstrap actually provided a surprising amount of comfort.

Optics/Ergonomics: Optically, these are every bit as good as the EL SV, but with some differences in design. I would say the two control chromatic aberration identically (i.e. very well, maybe not as well as the Kowa Genesis or FL, though). In terms of brightness, I would say the SLC has a very slight advantage over the SV and seems very similar to the FL. In terms of color neutrality I would say it is very good, but maybe with a slight (very, very slight) warm bias; the colors certainly looked saturated but not quite to the Leica Ultraivd level of over-saturation/artificial looking. It is certainly better than the FL in this respect, as I always found that trended towards a yellow tone, but the SLC is ever so slightly behind the almost perfectly neutral SV.
In terms of glare suppression I would say these are definitely superior to the SV and FL. In terms of edge performance, these are again below the SV, but for a binocular lacking field flattening lenses I have never seen a cleaner edge or wider sweet-spot. Eye placement is very easy and I didn't find myself fighting the binocular too much, something which was always an issue with the FL models I've owned (7x42 and 8x32).

I'll update my thoughts after more time, but I was excited to share my initial impressions. I've mentioned before that I thought the SLC (although that was the newer SLC-WB model) was the best pair of binoculars I'd ever used, and I think that may still stand true. Of all the current alpha models, I've tried or owned all except the Noctivid for significant period of time, and can't say I'd prefer any of them to this SLC-HD.

Justin

NIce write-up Justin. Look forward to the next episode.

Lee

Justin, I am with Lee, an excellent write-up. I have been curious about your opinion on that SLC and am glad to hear it is a success. I always have some concerns about comments I make about a binocular that will not turn out to be the same for someone who relies on that information. Whew.

I used mine last week for a day trip to the AZ high country and it was a great experience. Spotted were a Lewis woodpecker, I think a first for me, some elk, antelope, Merriam's turkey and some big horn sheep. The SLC made for a nice day.

I also get a slight amount of sticiton in mine but not enough that I want to send it in at this time. It does not prevent me from getting a sharp focus. There is a small difference in pressure from one direction to the other but that seems to be a Swaro characteristic in the EL line as well. It does not cause any problems for me.

It would be interesting to hear how it compares to the Zeiss HT should you ever get the opportunity. That is the toughest choice I have come across when comparing two binoculars. Anyway, I look forward to hear what you think of the SLC when you have more time with it. I have noticed that the more I use some binoculars the less I enjoy them as the warts become more noticeable and then there are others like the SLC that the more I use them, the more I like them.

Last edited:
Nice writeup Justin :)
The SLC 8x42WB was my first bino, and I still regret the day I have traded it for the EL8x32SV.
The glare of the little EL made me decide to sell it, I could absolutely not live with it.
The SLC has been the nicest bin I have owned after the EL10x50 which I still own.
My current 8x42 is a Meopro HD, very nice bino as well, but I still have the itch towards a SLC or Nikon Monarch HG because of the bigger FOV of those 2.

Thanks all. I will say that the little SV is a phenomenal instrument in its own right and will more than hold its own in most contests. The glare was something I didn't notice often, but when I did it irked me. If I could justify owning two alphas it'd probably be the 8x42 or 10x42 SLC and 8x32 SV.

In reference to a direct comparison to the HT, I have not done so; that being said, I did directly compare the HT.and FL. I found the HT to be more color neutral. I didn't notice a true difference in brightness. From my recollection I would pick the SLC over an HT due to less distortions outside of the sweetspot, but the HT is no slouch and I'd likely be happy with it as well. I would like to do a direct comparison.

PS I'm hoping to make a trip down to AZ for birding at some point.

Good Justin...
So glad you like them! I kinda figured you would. Your report is pretty accurate for having them such a short time. The focus adjustment is actually as you say. I've never found them to get much better with use but they don't get any worse either. The 32mm SVs are smoother focusing to me but I suppose they move less lens too.

Congrats on your SLC!

Since the title is 'SLC WB', let me ask this - how different is the design of the SLC WB 8x30? I've had these since the late 80's, sent them back a few years ago for slight dust problem. Among other things Swaro replaced all glass (including prism blocks) with ones with the latest coatings. I like them a lot, difficult for me to find fault with them. Partly size, but I could easily do without my 10x32 SV's in favor of them. Is the optical design at all similar to the larger SLC WB's discussed in this thread? Am I crazy to think they compare favorably to the latest and greatest glasses I've looked through recently? Or partly blind maybe?

---------

just looked, my 8x30's were made in 1991, I assume the glass changes brought them up to 'neu' specs.

Last edited:
Since the title is 'SLC WB', let me ask this - how different is the design of the SLC WB 8x30? I've had these since the late 80's, sent them back a few years ago for slight dust problem. Among other things Swaro replaced all glass (including prism blocks) with ones with the latest coatings. I like them a lot, difficult for me to find fault with them. Partly size, but I could easily do without my 10x32 SV's in favor of them. Is the optical design at all similar to the larger SLC WB's discussed in this thread? Am I crazy to think they compare favorably to the latest and greatest glasses I've looked through recently? Or partly blind maybe?

---------

just looked, my 8x30's were made in 1991, I assume the glass changes brought them up to 'neu' specs.

Didn't Swarovski give them a new serial number when they refurbished them?

I seem to remember something about them doing that when they replaced the old glass with new glass.

Bob

Didn't Swarovski give them a new serial number when they refurbished them?

I seem to remember something about them doing that when they replaced the old glass with new glass.

Bob

Yes, they issued new serial number, and it is etched on the underside of the hinge. I think they are as close to NIB 'neu' as can be found (not that they are for sale or anything :)

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back