• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mashpi Lodge - Amazing Hotels - Life beyond the lobby (1 Viewer)

lewis20126

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08l2m2x

I've just watched this on BBC2 - I guess it will be on the IPlayer for the next week or so. Excellent insight into this top end lodge and the people behind it. The lodge is also featured in the current Neotropical Birding and looks like a great place to visit - if you can afford it.

I've got as far as the entrance gate!

cheers, alan

The boss came over as a really genuine guy. Not enough of them around......

Yes, agreed - we need more people like him.

For keen world birders, two key birds seems to be fairly reliable there, namely Baudo Guan and Indigo-crowned (+Purple) Quail-dove. I'm not sure they are easy anywhere. I need to save up!

cheers, alan

I've just watched this and was fascinated by the work going on there.

They mentioned the sighting of some bird species that hadn't been seen since the 30's (I think) but don't remember them saying what they were. Anyone?

That Mashpi Treefrog was cute, wasn't it.

Alan said:
I need to save up!

LOL agreed, though not sure I could cope with that heat and humidity!!

Perhaps someone should start a B&B in the village and arrange day passes. That might give the local economy a boost with some extra jobs.

I got to the gate as well.
Why I applaud every possible initiative to conserve nature, I felt like this place wasn't very democratic as you have to have a whole lot of money to get in there. I was looking for a certain Choco Vireo, but all of a sudden the road was blocked by a big wooden gate, and chances seeing the Vireo were going from slim to Buckley (I just read that Australian expression in a trip report ;) )

I really don't know, in general, if I find this kind of exclusivity of access a good or a bad thing.

Sometimes I think this is the way to really conserve some parts of the world without being trampled by 1000s of tourists, but deep inside I am allergic for everything and everybody that is regulating (by asking entrance money) or plainly forbidding birding access on all kinds of land, be it privately owned or public, for no good reason.
Though that's more of a philosophical thought how I see the world and is not directed only the Mashpi lodge...

We didn't quite get to the gate but visited a small reserve/viewing area run by locals, on the way down to the gate. Also birded the road. Wonder if they'll ever consider a day-pass like many of the other lodges do ?

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back