• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Extinct species list updated (1 Viewer)

A very useful list it has become with those references, I like it! (the list, not that all those species are extinct, mostly by human influences).

Fred

Typo in/on:

= Rallus adolfocaesaris (here, p.180)

;)

Link did not work for me but here as well the same article.

But who is Adolfo César not present in the key? Here the solution:

Etymology. Dedicated to Adolfo César de Noronha for his contributions to the biology and paleontology of Madeira ( Clode 1984, da Silva and de Meneses 1984). He was born 9 Sept 1873 in Funchal /Madeira and died there 6 Apr 1963. After his education in Madeira and on the Portuguese mainland he was librarian at the Biblioteca Municipal do Funchal and after 1928 its director. Later he also became the first director of the Museu de Historia Natural (as it is now termed) which was established in 1929. During his long life he published together with A.A. Sarmento "Vertebrados da Madeira" in 1948, and numerous other papers, mainly on the marine fishes of the Madeiran Archipelago, but also on crustaceans and birds. He also collected plants and fossils, including fossil bird bones in São Lourenço in the early years of last century, and these are still conserved in the MHNF.

Last edited:
Rallus adolfocaesaris

Attached: a photo of Adolfo César de Noronha (1873–1963).

Also a sculpture of him, here.

Björn

PS. Sorry about the link. It had Open access when I checked it (months ago).
---

Attachments

• Adolfo César de Noronha.jpg
    Adolfo César de Noronha.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back