• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

stachanowi (1 Viewer)

Taphrospilus

Maybe someone with russian skills can enlight the community (and me) with the full name of the gentleman mentioned in:

Jordans Adolf von (1937): Emberiza leucocephala stachanowi, Boett. subsp. n – Ornithologischer Anzeiger 2(11): 404–405
It is for sure they guy mentioned in the key:

W. S. Stachanov (fl. 1933) Russian ornithologist

Found him as well as Wl. S. Stachanow

Vladimir? Władysław? Looks like he was located in Moscow.

He published a couple of articles. Examples are:

• Emberiza fucata laubmanni susp. nov. Ornithologischer Anzeiger here
  • Hirundo smithii bobrinskoii subsp. nova. Von Wl. S. Stachanow
  • 1933: Jynx torquilla incognita subsp. nova. - Alauda, 5, p. 250-251
  • Stachanow, W., 1933: Nouvelles races geographiques de Friquets (Passer montanus) de l'Asie Centrale. Oiseau Paris, 3: 789-792

I think Владимир Сергеевич Стаханов (Vladimir Sergeyevich Stakhanov) 1908/9(?)-1937.
Upper left character on the right page [here].
Birth year 1908 according to [this], p.82. But 1909 [here], with a reference to a necrology in "Проблемы Арктики. М.-Л.", 1937, 4:155 (which is [this], but of course only snippets can be seen). Also 1909 [here], so this perhaps more likely to be correct.

(He's not really easy to find. Too much stuff about Алексе́й Григо́рьевич online. ;))

Note that von Jordans' work appeared during the year of his death -- this is presumably no accident.

Last edited:
Thank's Laurent. I was sure it is hard one.

Here p. 60 of 97 or 64 of 97 of any help? From the link I just assume (or guess) a polar expedition? May he died there?

Thank's Laurent. I was sure it is hard one.

Here p. 60 of 97 or 64 of 97 of any help? From the link I just assume (or guess) a polar expedition? May he died there?
Bitte schön, Martin.
I had seen that .pdf too. The author of the text is Lev Borisovich Khvat; the title means Three journeys to the Bering Strait; on the second page, the ToC gives us:
  • first journey (1934) p.3
  • second journey (1937) p.99
  • third journey (1939) p.225
This .pdf ranges only up to p.98, hence covers only the 1934 journey; it seems quite possible that he was part of the 1937 journey as well and died there, but to know this we should find the second part of the story.
Also, I'd be a bit cautious about this text because, seeing how it is written (with dialogs, etc.), it seems likely that it is at least partly fictionalized.

In 1935 the name was published in a Latvian publication Bötticher, H. Emberiza leucocephala Stachanowi nov. Subsp. / H. Boetticher // Latvijas Universitātes Sistemātiskās zooloģijas institūta??

In 1935 the name was published in a Latvian publication Bötticher, H. Emberiza leucocephala Stachanowi nov. Subsp. / H. Boetticher // Latvijas Universitātes Sistemātiskās zooloģijas institūta??
True. It may be my mistake. (I interpreted Martin's original post as suggesting the cited paper was the source for the name, while it may not have been intended to have that meaning.)
According to [this bibliographical list]:
Bötticher, H. Emberiza leucocephala Stachanowi nov. Subsp. / H. Boetticher // Latvijas Universitātes Sistemātiskās zooloģijas institūta un Hidrobioloģiskās stacijas raksti = Folia Zoologica et Hydrobiologica. – 8.sēj., Nr.1 (1935), 150.-152.lpp.
The university has two issues of the journal online [here], but (for now and as far as I can find) not this one.
However, a snippet view in [Google] allows reading:
Ich benenne sie zu Ehren meines ornithologischen Freundes und Kollegen, Wladimir Stachanow, dem die Wissenschaft auf dem Gebiete der Erforschung der palaearktischen Ornis viel verdankt, [als Emberiza leucocephala Stachanowi nova subspecies.]

Thanks for finding the original source. If you search Boetticher in the Google Books it shows the article came "mit 1 fig." which would be interesting to see. The original proves it is Vladimir S. Stachanov it is named for.

I name them in honor of my ornithological friend and colleague, Vladimir Stakhanov, to whom science owes much in the field of the study of the palaearctic Ornis,

Last edited:
Meanwhile I got Jordans publication and it is just a discussion that this subspecies is a synonym to the nominated form. (which adds no real value to the discussion here).

Last edited:
From the Key today.
stachanowi
Vladimir Sergeyevich Stakhanov (?1909-1937) Russian zoologist (Laurent Raty in litt.) (syn. Emberiza leucocephalos).
I feel that as Mr. Jobling makes the Key more and more complete it cannot but be a barrier to the forces of barbarity and chaos.

I went through it rapidly. As fas as I understand (I may well have missed, or misinterpreted, some details):

He died on 2 May 1937, and had been one of those who took part to the expedition of the SS Chelyuskin (which is presumably the 1934 expedition described in the document of post #3 above; the ship was trapped in the ice and sank in Feb 1934).
He was born in Moscow in 1909.
He graduated at the faculty of biology of the МГУ (Moscow State University).
The text then gives a short recapitulation of his career -- where he worked and what works he produced.
The last § enumerates his qualities, and says he continued to work hard despite a long disease that kept it at home for about three years.

Nothing new only what The Eponym Dictionary of Birds claims:
Pine Bunting ssp.Emberiza leucocephalos stachanowi Boetticher, 1935 NCR [JS Emberiza leucocephalos leucocephalos]
W. S. Stachanov (DNF) was a Russian ornithologist.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back