• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Inherited spotting scope identification (1 Viewer)

hillman

Hello folks, I heard this was the place to go for experts in optics and was hoping someone might have some information on this spotting scope that I inherited when my father passed away.

I have never seen him use this and it was packed away in his army stuff from the late 60s. In the army, his job had to do with tank and vehicle weapon optics, so it makes sense if this was from that era but I don't know that for sure.

It looks like one side of a large pair of binoculars, has a tripod, and also has a disk with four smaller lenses on it that rotates but I don't think that disk goes to the spotting scope, though it was in the leather case with it. I THINK the disk might go to a microscope instead.

The only markings on it say UNITED, made in Japan, and various versions of that. It says 60x60 on the eye piece. Seems in good condition but dusty.

I can't find anything on the internet about this piece, there are other similar looking spotting scopes from different manufacturers and all wildly different values (not necessarily looking for a value here, mostly just information, though if there is value in it my father certainly would have wanted it to go to my son's education, but if not, I'm going to give it to him from his grampa) but I haven't seen this particular one.

Here is a link to it, and I apologize for the quality.

https://imageshack.com/i/exB90oREj

Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

http://www.opticstalk.com/united-scope_topic14730.html..., http://www.cornellpubs.com/old-guns/item_desc.php?item_id=3245...Here are a couple of links to United Binoculars ..the first is a link to a thread in a different forum that gives a tiny bit of info about your scope...the second is a re-print of a 1958 catalog of the company....for what is worth i am sure that the turret goes indeed in the scope and its a pre-zoom solution to multiple magnifications,allowing to change the eyepiece in view in a fast turn...They mention this scope to have reticles in the eyepieces ,a feature i imagine it was of good use to your dad's military applications.....It also true that many other brands imported similar scopes,.Swift for sure,maybe Bushnell ..Unitron maybe¿......anyway...your unit seems to be in an immaculate condition..

Last edited:
Thank you for the info and the link to the other forum. I have also posed the question there as well. Every bit of info helps me, I wish I'd been able to ask my father about it.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back