• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Astroscope + DSLR = Gallery! (3 Viewers)

It is interesting to see how chicks are similar in the Grebe family. Here we have the Pied-billed Grebe that is fairly common and the young are quite similar to the ones in your photos. See attached.

Also, my frog beats your fish ! 3:) 3:)

Regards
Jules

Attachments

• 001-120610aa045kf.jpg
    001-120610aa045kf.jpg
    227.4 KB · Views: 62
  • 001-050627AE029k3f.jpg
    001-050627AE029k3f.jpg
    224.2 KB · Views: 63
"A lot of the samples I see in the astroscoping gallery are fairly poor IMHO but if the poster is happy with them that that is all that matters I guess."

I am rather happy with these ones. Don't know what caused the disturbing background on the last one, some unlucky combination of distance and F/number? It was really windy too, which cannot be seen as the small pond is sheltered.

I had to work hard for these and put the setup at risk. Had to wipe off some mud after the session...

TLAPO804 480mm
E-M5

Thats a nice series, as well as Jules (didn't know they ate french food ;-) )

Regarding the quote
"A lot of the samples I see in the astroscoping gallery are fairly poor IMHO but if the poster is happy with them that that is all that matters I guess."

What has that to do with anything, really????
The discussion was about GLASS quality, and the astro scopes are well ahead as Daniel (and others) have shown with tests.

If I get a blurry pic or try to shoot 100m with hot air, I says things about ME, and not that the scope's resolving power/glass quality etc.

When I was inspired by Pauls shots of robins, blackbirds etc, (back when I decided to buy my first scope wich was not the celestron) he shown what could be achieved with these setups, glass quality wise. I took me a couple of years and a change of scope until a came anywhere near that. But I always knew (frustratingly) that it was never the quality of the GLASS, but ME that was faulty.

And the astroscope gallery is for sharing bird pics, and though some may not be "perfect" in some peoples eyes, it's a capture of a behaviour, of a moment, of one's first BIF (try that without three arms) etc, that are valuable.

Frogs.... one wonders how they manage to get them down...
DSC_0399.jpg DSC_0400.jpgDSC_0409.jpg DSC_0414.jpg
but they do..
DSC_0422.jpg

Malmö, 2014. Sorry about the focus... had my D7100 on the scope because I was getting so many spots on the E-M1 viewfinder. Happened too quickly. Any one of the 150-600s would have done better.

Carlos made a good point. I myself would much rather be able to blame crappy shots on my equipment than on myself! 3:)

Last edited:
... And the astroscope gallery is for sharing bird pics, and though some may not be "perfect" in some peoples eyes, it's a capture of a behaviour, of a moment, of one's first BIF (try that without three arms) etc, that are valuable.

It is also sharing the pleasure we had doing it.

I was also inspired by Paul to get an astro scope and I am grateful to him. It is also Paul that got many of us into building TNs. My first years were quite frustrating because I had a bad scope but it is much better now with the SW80ED.

I use the scope mainly for long range shooting where glass quality is essential and I see superb distance photos on this forum. IMHO, long range photography is very difficult because good technique, quality equipment and effective post processing are needed, much more than when the subject is only a few feet away. I also think that astro scopes are the better tools to do it.

This forum is about sharing our experience and for learning. It is not for showing how good we are but how we are getting there. I enjoy seing how Tord is getting great at shooting BIF, I enjoy reading about Paul's experiments, I enjoy Dan's sharing of his wisdom, frustrations and great photos and I could name many others. That's what this forum is to me. Thank you all.

Thats a nice series, as well as Jules (didn't know they ate french food ;-) )

Regarding the quote

What has that to do with anything, really????
The discussion was about GLASS quality, and the astro scopes are well ahead as Daniel (and others) have shown with tests.

If I get a blurry pic or try to shoot 100m with hot air, I says things about ME, and not that the scope's resolving power/glass quality etc.

When I was inspired by Pauls shots of robins, blackbirds etc, (back when I decided to buy my first scope wich was not the celestron) he shown what could be achieved with these setups, glass quality wise. I took me a couple of years and a change of scope until a came anywhere near that. But I always knew (frustratingly) that it was never the quality of the GLASS, but ME that was faulty.

And the astroscope gallery is for sharing bird pics, and though some may not be "perfect" in some peoples eyes, it's a capture of a behaviour, of a moment, of one's first BIF (try that without three arms) etc, that are valuable.

The thing with Roy is he soon resorts to those sorts of comments when people don't agree with him. He struggled when he had an astro scope and can't accept that others can succeed when he couldn't. For an oldie he's very childish, just attack everything about the forum and then declare that he's running away to leave us to it. I just took his comments with a pinch of salt, there's nothing wrong with the photos here as he well knows.

Paul

I saw Grebes eating frogs twice and those are among my most pleasant memories of photo outings even if quality was not there in my photos.

Here, a mother is showing her young how to do it. Taken 10 years ago at sunrise with a 20D and a 100-400mm, distance about 15m. Document quality at best.

Attachments

• 001-050627AE029k3f.jpg
    001-050627AE029k3f.jpg
    224.2 KB · Views: 194
  • 001-050627AE030Kf.jpg
    001-050627AE030Kf.jpg
    187.8 KB · Views: 189
I saw Grebes eating frogs twice and those are among my most pleasant memories of photo outings even if quality was not there in my photos.

Here, a mother is showing her young how to do it. Taken 10 years ago at sunrise with a 20D and a 100-400mm, distance about 15m. Document quality at best.

Great moments!

A bit unresponsible of the young mother, learning her young how to choke ;-)

Great moments!

A bit unresponsible of the young mother, learning her young how to choke ;-)

I remember well that, at this occasion, there were 2 chicks and they both tried it, without success of course. It was very funny and, like you say, great moments !

Frogs.... one wonders how they manage to get them down...
View attachment 560492 View attachment 560493View attachment 560494 View attachment 560495
but they do..
View attachment 560496

Malmö, 2014. Sorry about the focus... had my D7100 on the scope because I was getting so many spots on the E-M1 viewfinder. Happened too quickly. Any one of the 150-600s would have done better.

Carlos made a good point. I myself would much rather be able to blame crappy shots on my equipment than on myself! 3:)
Cool series, shame they are a tad OOF except #2. makes me remember the perceived quantum leap going from the E620 to the EM5, so much easier to fine focus.

I visited the field with Sunflowers once more. No Siskins to be seen, but finches in the thousands. Mostly Brambling and Chaffinch, a few Greenfinch and Goldfinch as well. All very skittish, hidden deep in the field, not surprising considering there were at least two couples of Sparrowhawks around, clearly cooperating when hunting. I had to work hard to get any shots. There were quite many Magpies as well, paying no attention at the Sparrowhawks.

Attachments

• PA090020.jpg
    PA090020.jpg
    701.4 KB · Views: 152
  • PA090029.jpg
    PA090029.jpg
    791.4 KB · Views: 147
Tord,
Our Montagu's Harrier turned out to be a female Hen Harrier after all...:-C

P9232225.jpg

P9232226.jpg

Bugger! ;)

For scopes, the E-M1s and 5s can't be beat!

Last edited:
Western Marsh Harrier

Not often these guys come really close like this one. I had very short time for preparations as I was walking back to the car.

Shame the just got obscured by clouds, would have been a nice one if taken a minute earlier.

E-M5
TS102

Attachments

• P4150170-2.jpg
    P4150170-2.jpg
    334 KB · Views: 198
Not often these guys come really close like this one. I had very short time for preparations as I was walking back to the car.

Shame the just got obscured by clouds, would have been a nice one if taken a minute earlier.

E-M5
TS102

Nice catch - What distance ?

Was right in the middle of packing when I heard a strange sound coming from the sky. I couldn't see anything, but I ran upstairs and grabbed my camera with the 400+1.4x on it and sure enough, about a kilometer away, (at least!) there they were, over a hundred Spoonbills on their way south! Just had time for five shots (all in focus;)) before they disappeared behind the opposite hillside. This is only slightly cropped, maybe 25%.
PB125854.jpg
Last shot until I get back in two weeks. Be good, everyone...B :)

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back