• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (21 Viewers)

100. Swallow

This is the joint second earliest Swallow recorded at Upton Warren, matching the date achieved in 2010 and only beaten by the arrival of 1998's first bird on the 20th March. Attached is a chart showing the spread of Swallow arrival dates over the years.

Phil,

Your chart shows a cumulative total of 36 data points - therefore, you have included the pre-1984 data even though it is potentially 'dodgy'.;)

If I were you, I wouldn't include these earlier data until they are 'cleaned up' as it is likely to cloud the real picture.

A few pics

Tonight's roost was noisy and had no unexpected visitors. A few pics from the evening. Upstarts note that Tim did the count!:t:

Attachments

• avo.jpg
    avo.jpg
    365 KB · Views: 67
  • bw.jpg
    bw.jpg
    175.8 KB · Views: 83
  • view.jpg
    view.jpg
    401.5 KB · Views: 75
Nice photos Bob O
had a few groups of orienteers passed by tonight (using public footpaths) but still effected the roost, plus a fox in field next to water works upsetting the magpies Blacktail Godwit not to worried by all this did disappear for 1/2 hour but came back, by the time we left at 18.45 we had 18 Avocet others set off towards the moors, 16 Curlew, 9 Shelduck, 3 Gadwall, 400 BHG, large flock of jackdaw and c50 starling, 1 Blacktail Godwit

Avocet numbers increasing even further - 31 this morning at the Flashes as per Dave J!! :eek!: QUOTE]

Phil,

With the fluctating numbers of Avocets I was wondering when they might settle down and stay. Could you look up the date last year when the eventual total - 26, I believe - was reached for the first time?

Peter

Phil,

With the fluctating numbers of Avocets I was wondering when they might settle down and stay. Could you look up the date last year when the eventual total - 26, I believe - was reached for the first time?

Peter

Hi Peter - 26 birds (13 pairs) was not achieved until the first half of May so another six weeks for numbers to increase further! An additional 27th bird was also present on 26th May, 27th May and 2nd June last year.

Hi Peter - 26 birds (13 pairs) was not achieved until the first half of May so another six weeks for numbers to increase further! An additional 27th bird was also present on 26th May, 27th May and 2nd June last year.

Thanks, Phil. I needn't start worrying about numbers yet.

Peter

I know ALL the local and usual birders/togs would go out of there way to hand in ANYTHING thats been found in and around the reserve but a friend whose tripod this is has still not heard anything about its loss.
The friend has now been so put off the reserve they are vowing not to return again.
I think the friend is well known there and is also friends with many of the wardens as well.

Lets hope it HAS been taken to a safe place and they have not yet got in touch with the trust yet.

Such a pity if it has been taken for good as this is one place I would not expect this to happen at.
Keith :t:

I know ALL the local and usual birders/togs would go out of there way to hand in ANYTHING thats been found in and around the reserve but a friend whose tripod this is has still not heard anything about its loss.
The friend has now been so put off the reserve they are vowing not to return again.
I think the friend is well known there and is also friends with many of the wardens as well.

Lets hope it HAS been taken to a safe place and they have not yet got in touch with the trust yet.

Such a pity if it has been taken for good as this is one place I would not expect this to happen at.

The truth is that whilst we would all hope birders are the nicest, kindest people you would ever want to meet, at the end of the day they are a cross-section of society like any other 'clan'. Several hundred people must pass through the reserve during the course of the week; there is always a chance there is a bad egg amongst them (like the individual with convictions for crimes against wildlife who seemingly only ever appears late evenings in the breeding season ...).

Highlights this morning between 7.00-10.30.

Flashes - Avocet 26, Oystercatcher 2, Tufted 5, Teal 4, Gadwall 5, Shelduck 3
Sailing Pool - Tufted 27, GC Grebe 2
Moors - Swallow, Sand Martin 3-4 (over sailing pool from east hide), Shoveler 13, Pochard 1, Tufted 50+, Snipe 5+, Oystercatcher 4, Coal Tit 1, Lesser Redpoll 4-5

There was quite a bit of movement from the Flashes c.8.30-9.00 as the grazier arrived to check on and feed the cattle (so I was told).

The truth is that whilst we would all hope birders are the nicest, kindest people you would ever want to meet, at the end of the day they are a cross-section of society like any other 'clan'. Several hundred people must pass through the reserve during the course of the week; there is always a chance there is a bad egg amongst them (like the individual with convictions for crimes against wildlife who seemingly only ever appears late evenings in the breeding season ...).

Thanks Phil...never heard of HIM/HER.....I always live in a bubble of innocence...

Hope the friend has some good news soon though....:-C

EDIT - added info.... tripod with an expensive manfrotto gimbal head left in East Hide on Wednesday 12th March, evening at 6.20pm.

Last edited:
Thanks Phil...never heard of HIM/HER.....I always live in a bubble of innocence...

Hope the friend has some good news soon though....:-C

Keith the other side of the coin. We found a bag containing a camera and telescope . When it was announced on here , the owner came forward. I found a pair of bins last year. I wrote in the log book and annouced it on here. I still have those bins as do I also still have the mobile phone that I announced.
On Friday morning of the first 10 people I spoke to , 7 had bought permits from the centre. So this proves there are a lot of non members visiting the reserve. Where did he/she lose their tripod?

Last edited:
round up of tonights roost
700+ BHG,7 LBBG, 7 Shelduck, 24 Avocet (was told 2 flew just before arrived) 11 Curlew, 5 Pied wagtail, large flock of jackdaws, pair of tuffed ducks ,2 mute swans
flashes feeders being well used, robin dunnuck, reed bunting, blue and great tits
1 deceased gull in water in front of cuckoo hide.
some poor pics from my camera.
1 watch out below
2 teal with attitude
3 2 Avocets
4 blurred pied wags
5 350 blurred BHGs in one photo
tim

Attachments

• PICT3458.JPG
    PICT3458.JPG
    171.4 KB · Views: 100
  • PICT3461.JPG
    PICT3461.JPG
    194 KB · Views: 85
  • PICT3464.JPG
    PICT3464.JPG
    252 KB · Views: 78
  • PICT3466.JPG
    PICT3466.JPG
    231.9 KB · Views: 61
  • PICT3472.JPG
    PICT3472.JPG
    357.5 KB · Views: 69
Thanks John.....it was the East Hide...think it was on a camera club visit.

Hopefully if the person(s) read this thread or if their acquaintances do they might be a bit suspicious of some 2nd hand kit and dob 'em in.
Can't speak for my friend but I would just be happy to get the kit back...things are so expensive that a replacement is hard to get.

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back