• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (12 Viewers)

Thanks to John for organising the work party today. Hot, but enjoyable work. John will no doubt do a full update here, but in the meantime there are a few photos per the flickr link below.
Cheers
Nice one Gert.
I was worried we had fires today, not realising the photo was 2 years old:eek!:
B :)John

Just had a look at them. It's always interesting to see the work that goes on, often unoticed by most people, especially when a lot of it won't always be obvious when the waters are back & growth appears.

Great work all-thanks for posting Gert.

Rob
Thanks for those nice words Rob, its nice to be appreciated, however we don't please everybody all the time . But that's life:t: As long as people understand that everything we work on is for a wildlife benefit. Sometimes a short term loss is a long term gain. I will try and explain future work before we do it, so we don't knowingly upset anyone.

Cheers Rob. I'm sure that you have many many many more shots to post. You've got to remember that this new job of mine has screwed up my ability to spend the afternoons taking photos:-C

Simon P

You, Rob, Sy V and Julie are certainly raising the stakes with Upton's photographed birds Not forgetting Tracey. keep it up :t:

Last edited:
Today's Work Party

Absolutely brilliant effort by all today. With unrelenting heat it was tough going. Thanks to all 15 of us we really have made a difference.
One job that is vitally important but is a thankless task, is the raking up of the grass and reeds from the east shore of he 2nd Flash. Well done lads and lass:t:
The on-going task of the new 2nd flash island,continued.This involved many wheelbarrows of shingle from the 'old pile' 200 yards away from the site.
The islands soil is held in with slabs all around its circumference. This is not the most aesthetically pleasing solution to the problem but is the most effective, as we are not allowed use concrete.
In previous years we have not used any support on islands and they lasted just a few years. It is whether the birds like them that counts, so lets wait and see.

The island's soil was covered in plastic and a variety of covering including, canvas bags and two water proof jackets 8-P as we had run out of plastic. It was then covered in shingle and half a ton of cobbles of varying sizes.
I will knock the black metal support posts in November.
When the water does finally arrive, a lot of the lower part will be hidden from view. Wait for that purple sandpiper on those cobbles:t:
Thanks to Simon B and his son Guy, Gavo and Hayley, Sy V, Tracy (Binus 63), Paul H (Beyonder), Gertatron, Biking Birder, Paul C, Tony H, Graham L, Andy W, Derek.
B :)

Attachments

• 1.the work site.jpg
    1.the work site.jpg
    228 KB · Views: 96
  • 2.the team.jpg
    2.the team.jpg
    257 KB · Views: 96
  • 3. the IslandDSCF7544.jpg
    3. the IslandDSCF7544.jpg
    337.6 KB · Views: 83
  • 4.the finished Island 2nd Oct 11.jpg
    4.the finished Island 2nd Oct 11.jpg
    336.1 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:
As promised todays Tern. You will see I haven't put an Id. When I saw it my thought was Artic as it was diving for fish & the call sounded like the Artics to me. The discussion is now open! 8-P

I think the dragonflys are Southern Hawker.

Anybody want to see some of what the Coots are in?

Noted at the Moors today: Buzzard x 2. Male Sparrowhawk. Greylag. Curlew x 2.
Grey Heron x 7. Mute Swan x 7. Pochard x 4. Shovelers c12. Water Rail. Kingfisher Juvenile Male. Teal c15. Artic? Tern. Little Grebe.

Rob

Attachments

• Web A Light Shower They Said!.jpg
    Web A Light Shower They Said!.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 102
  • Web Tern at Uw.jpg
    Web Tern at Uw.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 109
  • Web Tern at Uw 3.jpg
    Web Tern at Uw 3.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 103
  • Web Migrant Hawkers.jpg
    Web Migrant Hawkers.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 84
  • Web Greylag.jpg
    Web Greylag.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:
As promised todays Tern. You will see I haven't put an Id. When I saw it my thought was Artic as it was diving for fish & the call sounded like the Artics to me. The discussion is now open! 8-P

Grey Heron x 7. Mute Swan x 7. Pochard x 4. Shovelers c12. Water Rail. Kingfisher Juvenile Male. Teal c15. Artic? Tern. Little Grebe.

Rob

Yep, it's an Arctic (note the lack of a dark secondary bar).

Brian

Rob
Rob
Looks like the coots are in a rain storm but we don't get that anymore8-P

Birds on the Reserve Sunday

10 crossbills (including several bright males) flew through the Flashes to the south c8.45am (Dave J). having previously been seen flying over Webbs garden centre (Sy V)been
A good passage of meadow pipits am ...as Dave J said VIS MIG is best witnessed from the bench behind main hide, rather than within the confines of the hide.
Plenty of Meadow pipits were also present feeding around the flashes during the work party. But generally the Flashes were quiet.
At the Moors 5 Arctic terns were present early am. Duck numbers were: Shoveler 44, Teal 40+, Pochard 8, Tufted c20. Also seen were Little grebe 2, GCG 4, Snipe 6, Lapwing 50+, Water rail 2 in front of west hide. Several meadow pipits (c20) moved south c5pm. A few reed buntings were around and the Cettis was reported recently.

Cheers Rob. I'm sure that you have many many many more shots to post. You've got to remember that this new job of mine has screwed up my ability to spend the afternoons taking photos:-C

Simon P
I know it's a double edged sword having work but I will keep my fingers crossed for good weather EVERY weekend for you!

Noted at the Moors today: Curlew x 11. Common snipe x 4. G Heron x 10. Water Rail. Sparrowhawk-female. Buzzard. Little Grebe.

Pics of Snipe in front of WR hide. Common Darters ( I think) mating. Very distant shots of what I think is a female Sparrowhawk chasing what looks like a Housemartin & being chased in turn by a Crow.

Rob

Attachments

• Web Common Snipe.jpg
    Web Common Snipe.jpg
    389.5 KB · Views: 75
  • Web Mating Darters.jpg
    Web Mating Darters.jpg
    278.5 KB · Views: 72
  • Web Sparrowhawk Chase.jpg
    Web Sparrowhawk Chase.jpg
    163.2 KB · Views: 82
  • Web Sparrowhawk Chase 2.jpg
    Web Sparrowhawk Chase 2.jpg
    177.3 KB · Views: 87
Late post from yesterday. Arrived at moors at 6.30am, still dark but lots of life. Best of bunch were 5 snipe out in the open water in front of East hide. They were still there at 9.30am when i left. Mink also seen swimming early but too dark to photograph. cheers Dennis

Attachments

• snipe uw1.jpg
    snipe uw1.jpg
    236.8 KB · Views: 93
  • snipe uw2.jpg
    snipe uw2.jpg
    195.6 KB · Views: 78
  • snipe uw 2.jpg
    snipe uw 2.jpg
    254.4 KB · Views: 76
Simon, Rob and Dennis

You've all added some great images to this thread recently, thanks - they're much-appreciated.

Sy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back