• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Eyepiece? (1 Viewer)

The HDF is superior in terms of optical quality (light transmission, contrast etc) and offers longer eye relief. It also has a much wider field of view at the lower end of the zoom range.

They can both be used on all Opticron scopes although some models may require an adapter ring.

HTH

Cheers, Pete

Thanks for that Pete, I've recently purchased a 2nd hand HR.66 scope. It does not say GA anywhere on the scope, just HR.66. It is in immaculate condition & it has a 28 x ww HR60/66 HDF eyepiece. There is no manual with it & I can't find any info on line for a HR.66, I have found info about the HR.66 GA scope. Can you give me any info regarding my scope & what eyepieces are compatible, I'm thinking of getting a zoom eyepiece.
Thanks again.

Regards
Steve

Here are the pages from our 1999 catalogue showing the HR 66 and HR 80 pre-GA versions.

HTH

Cheers, Pete

Attachments

• HR 66 and HR 80.jpg
    HR 66 and HR 80.jpg
    456.3 KB · Views: 144
Thanks again for your assistance Pete, sorry for the delay in getteing back to you, I've been away in Wales.
I don't suppose you can recommend a zoom eye piece for my scope?
Thanks again, Steve

Hi Steve,

the current Opticron Zoom EPs have a 41x0.5mm female thread to connect to the body (at least SDL and HDF - not sure about HR zoom). So if your body has the corresponding male thread, chances are that it will fit.
The HR zoom listed on the old catalogue Pete posted should be a different model than the current one due to different magnifications (20-60x instead of 18-54x).

Or maybe there's a store carrying Opticron nearby?

Joachim

Hi Steve - my service guys tell me that the current HDF or HR eyepieces will work. At the time, the SDL wasn't available so it wasn't in the catalogue and it may be that the optical quality of the scope won't allow that eyepiece to perform to its best.

As Joachim says, best bet would be to go along to In Focus in London Colney to test all the eyepieces with your scope. They even have obliging birdlife for you to look at :)

Cheers, Pete

Thanks Joachim & Pete (again),

I've removed the eyepiece from my scope & it appears to be about a 28mm O/D very fine male thread. Any ideas, by the way, I live in north Warwickshire, no where near London.

Thanks again
Steve

I've removed the eyepiece from my scope & it appears to be about a 28mm O/D very fine male thread.

Hi,

yes, that's the fixed mag EPs with a 29x0.75-6H male thread on the EP. The zoom EPs have a ring with female thread at the end (M41x0.5) or very close to that as it fits that size.

There should be a male thread of that size around the EP mount of you scope body.

Joachim

BINGO!

thanks everyone, I think that I've got it all sorted now, I can see the larger male thread & I have visited Focus Optics in Corley.

Thanks again.

(Happy) Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back