• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ducks, Gulls and Helm Guides. (1 Viewer)

Gander

I have just ordered up a book called "Wildfowl of Europe, Asia and North America (Helm Identification Guides)". Bit of an impulse buy, but I am keen to learn more about ducks in particular. The reviews look good, but have I made a good buy? Is there anything else on British/European Ducks that I should consider?

I am also considering getting the "Gulls of Europe, Asia and North America (Helm Identification Guides)" to increase my knowledge on gulls. Is this a good choice or is there something better I should consider or maybe something I should buy in addition.

Both are really good books. I've also got the Peterson guide to Gulls of the Americas, which despite the title has most of the European gulls in there too. There are a lot of websites dedicated solely to gulls and which probably go into more detail than a book can hope to. Google "Gull identification" and take it from there is probably the best bet.

I would agree with Stonefaction. I've also recently purchased the Wildfowl of Europe, Asia and North Africa and find it a very welcome addition to my ever growing list of bird books. I've had the Gull book for a couple of years now and it really is an excellent book.

Thanks again guys. Couldn't resist after the recommendations, so have also ordered up the, "Gulls of Europe, Asia and North America (Helm Identification Guides)".

The wildfowl book is excellent but I find reading the gulls a bit like chewing cardboard. I know that they're a complex group but the text is so dense that it's often difficult to see the wood for the trees. I'm hoping that the forthcoming "Gulls of the World: A Photographic Guide" (due August) might be a little more digestible even if it covers more species ...

Always bothered me that the Helm guide couldn't have included the last few species and just been 'Gulls of the World'.....

I have now had a chance to give both the Widfowl and the Gulls books a first skim through. I am very happy with them on first impression. The wildfowl book in particular, strikes me as something I'll have many happy hours leafing through.

Warblers

I have now expanded my fledgling bird library by three books. I have been so impressed by the Helm guides for Wildfowl and for Gulls, that I have invested in Helm guides for Bird Identification and for Waders. I wish I'd bought the Bird Identification book months ago, as I've learnt so much from it just by casually referencing a few species I've had problems with previously.

This morning, I bought a second hand book called "Birds of Fife". It will be interesting to see the difference between my birding now with birding in Fife thirty years ago. Only slight problem with it is it whiffs of nicotine.

These books will probably take a while to digest, but I do have my eye open for something that will increase my knowledge on Warblers. The Helm guide in this area does not come with great reviews. Is there an authoritative book on UK/Eur warblers out there?

These books will probably take a while to digest, but I do have my eye open for something that will increase my knowledge on Warblers. The Helm guide in this area does not come with great reviews. Is there an authoritative book on UK/Eur warblers out there?

No, the following are excellent books but cover all species so maybe a bit overwhelming?

Sylvia Warblers

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Books/Sy...id=1488709764&sr=8-1&keywords=sylvia+warblers

Reed and Bush Warblers.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Reed-Bush-...09805&sr=8-1&keywords=reed+and+bush++warblers

The Collins field guide should be all you need for Britain and Europe.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Collins-Bi...&sr=8-1&keywords=collins+field+guide+to+birds

Beware, buying books is addictive!

Andy

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back