• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gold/Flamecrest.... (1 Viewer)

KenM

Went out this am N.E.London looking for a Firecrest last seen 5 days ago (almost certainly gone now), and as there has been (and still is), a good number of Goldcrests around, it meant having to go through every crest that I encountered. On my rounds I bumped into this individual male, in all my years I've never witnessed the flared ''spliced'' crown before on this species, is it a case of ''needing to get out more'' or is this typically only seen in the breeding season...and or, not very often?

Cheers

Attachments

• P1450271.jpeg  Flamecrest 5..jpeg
    P1450271.jpeg Flamecrest 5..jpeg
    257.1 KB · Views: 101
  • P1450244.jpeg  Flamecrest 4..jpg
    P1450244.jpeg Flamecrest 4..jpg
    233.2 KB · Views: 95
  • P1450237.jpeg  Flamecrest 7..jpg
    P1450237.jpeg Flamecrest 7..jpg
    239.7 KB · Views: 85
  • P1450249.jpeg   Flamecrest 2..jpg
    P1450249.jpeg Flamecrest 2..jpg
    241.5 KB · Views: 95
I've only seen a handful in 50 years of birding - so can't be very common, Ken.

But, wow, aren't they brilliant!

I've only seen a handful in 50 years of birding - so can't be very common, Ken.

But, wow, aren't they brilliant!

Have to say, that I thought it looked better than some of the Firecrests (of the yellow crowned variety), that said...a "real Firecrest" is up there with the gods!

:t:

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back