• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

2016 - World Yearlist Record Attempt (2 Viewers)

What a fantastic achievement, and the trip of a lifetime, I can only image how many amazing places he must have visited, the people he has met and the number of flights he must have taken..... Well done to Arjan. I look forward to reading about this some time in the future.

In the future, I wonder if including China is the key to breaking 7000 species?

Also, I wonder how long it will be (and what species it will be) until Arjan sees a species which he didn't see during 2016?

Congratulations to Arjan and his team, a fantastic effort, i was worried that health issues might cause dramas and am so glad they did not, and as for stamina, I got tired just reading about it! Thanks also to Paul Chapman and others folks on this thread for such thoughtful analyses. How much was raised for BirdLife in the end by the way, any figures yet?

I think this deserves another plug;

After 83 Birdforum pages, over 2000 posts and over 287,000 views, its a little sad that only 135 people have pledged money to this great cause (through the justgiving page, anyway).

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/Biggest-Year

Go on, I'm sure we can all afford to donate a few Euros towards conserving the most vulnerable species of birds....

I see Arjan is busy sorting through the list, new ones today -

Cliff Flycatcher in Brazil is Swallow Flycatcher
Ochre-lored Flatbill in Peru is Olive-faced Flatbill
plus splits of Taiwan Thrush and Riparian Antbird.

So currently 6836

I see Arjan is busy sorting through the list, new ones today -

Cliff Flycatcher in Brazil is Swallow Flycatcher
Ochre-lored Flatbill in Peru is Olive-faced Flatbill
plus splits of Taiwan Thrush and Riparian Antbird.

So currently 6836

Sounds like someone got his copy of HBW/BLI Checklist 2 then...?

Arjan just posted this on his Facebook page
Thanks to the guys of Observation.org I now know the exact number of 'heard-onlies' during my #biggestyear. 258 in total (due to a bug Marsh Warbler is shown as 'seen' while I added this species a 'heard-only'. That is ~3.77 % of my total recorded species last year. I'm pretty damn happy with that score!

You can view the 'heard only' list by clicking on the link below:
Link

If I counted right, then I have seen 8 of his missing species so far...

This might be covered 'up-thread' somewhere, but to save me re-reading all 2000+ posts, does anyone know if Arjan is intending to write a book about his record year (like Noah Strycker did after his big-year)?

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back