• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Undescribed (2 Viewers)

Interesting paper, thanks. The cuckoo in question is a Cuculus sp rather than Cacomantis, and has a really quite distinctive song. I uploaded a recording from Mindanao to Xeno Canto Asia (XC38429) under Indian Cuckoo.

Gibbs includes a pen drawing in his article (Bull. Brit.Orn.Club Vol. 116, no 1, P. 20), which was reproduced in Taylor's book on the rails of the world.
Thought you might like to see original done day of observation back in 1994, for those with paper on Gallirallus rovianae you will see it really is quite different and probably a distinct species.

Attachments

• Rail.jpg
    Rail.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 202
So you have the original. Did you make it yourself ? Makes me wonder who you are, "Ficedula". Anyway, good picture and great to finally see this bird in colour. It's obviously close to rovianae but different enough to make it as a new subspecies at least. Do you happen to know if it has ever been photographed ?

Do you happen to know if it has ever been photographed ?

No idea, I have been on another planet for 15 years. I would be surprised if it has not, rather easy to see, if digiscoping had been around back then i would have got some of a kind. Any idea if any change in taxomomic opinion on the attached? Still treated as subspecies?

Attachments

• cockrellibrowni.jpg
    cockrellibrowni.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 162
Yes. Still treated as subspecies. The Monarchs and Fantails of the Solomons are examples of several bird groups that need to be sorted out taxonomically. I guess Guy Dutson has a lot to do before he publishes his guide to the region.

Thanks Hidde & Xenospiza. Anyone like to see photos of Fakfak bowers? Have any been published yet? Slides at moment but could digitise them if anyone interested.

Has Guy still not published his Solomons book? I really am out of touch.

Last edited:
Thanks Hidde & Xenospiza. Anyone like to see photos of Fakfak bowers? Have any been published yet? Slides at moment but could digitise them if anyone interested.

Has Guy still not published his Solomons book? I really am out of touch.

There is a photograph of a Fakfak bower published in; Bowerbirds : Nature, Art and History (Frith and Frith, 2008).

But apart from that aim not aware of any, just a few illustrations. Would love to see some more photographs of it, maybe you have some shots of the undescribed Amblyornis as well?

Nope, Mr. Dutson I still working on his book, at least he was when I last spoke with him back in April. The book that could be on your mind is "Birds and bird lore of Bougainville and the North Solomons" by Don Hadden, published back in 2004.

Here they are, plus one of camp at Helipad 4 or 5 (memory fails), just rephotos so probably lost quality. Unfortunately no photos of bird but very like Arfak birds as you know.

Had not heard of Hadden book, I was referring to Guy's book, i just assumed it must be done by now.

Attachments

• Fakfak camp.jpg
    Fakfak camp.jpg
    135.8 KB · Views: 123
  • Amblyornis 1.jpg
    Amblyornis 1.jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 144
  • Amblyornis 3.jpg
    Amblyornis 3.jpg
    135.2 KB · Views: 131
  • Amblyornis 4.jpg
    Amblyornis 4.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 138
Last edited:
Helipad 4 or 5, eh ? I bet you saw that Paradigalla. Thanks for the bowers, they're wonderful.

Can only second that, the number of birdwatchers that has visited the Fakfak Peninsula can be counted on one hand. Those Bowers are really spectacular and does look considerble different from the ones in the Arfak Mts.

Would not mind seeing a Moustached Kingfisher either, tried for that one over on Bougainville many years ago, but of course, no luck.

Anyone know anything about undescribed color morphs of Prairie Warbler in the Florida Keys?
Interesting - a discolored Dendroica discolor. ;)
This is all that BNA Online (Nolan, Ketterson & Buerkle 1999) has to say about variation:

"Geographic Variation; Subspecies
Two morphologically differentiated subspecies are recognized: migratory D. d. discolor (Viellot, 1809) over most of the species' range and sedentary D. d. paludicola Howell 1930, in coastal mangroves of Florida. Mitochondrial DNA sequences show evidence of significantly restricted gene flow between subspecies, but no evidence of substantial phylogenetic divergence (Buerkle 1997, in press a). D. d. paludicola is larger overall (see Measurements, below) and has larger white spots in rectrices relative to body size (Buerkle 1997, in press b)."
Richard

Taliabu

Rheindt, F. E. 2010
New biogeographic records for the avifauna of Taliabu (Sula Islands, Indonesia), with preliminary documentation of two previously undiscovered taxa
Bull. B.O.C. 130(1)

Summary.—The Sula archipelago lies between Sulawesi and the northern Moluccas in Wallacea. The avifauna of the archipelago, including Taliabu, its largest and most diverse island, is under-explored, and current understanding is based on just one major historic collecting effort and several visits by modern ornithologists. There is limited knowledge especially of the highland birds of Taliabu, since only one ornithological expedition has reached this area, discovering in the process c.7 previously unrecorded species potentially meritorious of subspecific recognition. I describe the results of a two-week survey of Taliabu, encompassing both lowland and highland areas. An update is given on the state of the habitat on Taliabu, which has undergone major forest conversion and degradation due to logging, agricultural practices and forest fires. I present new elevational information for at least 14 bird species, and records of four species previously unrecorded on the island. Two of these represent undescribed taxa, one of them probably a new species. Comments on the taxonomy of several Taliabu birds are made on the basis of fresh vocal or morphological data, indicating that many endemic Sula races merit upgrading to species status. Given rapid forest loss on Taliabu, judicious collecting and genetic and vocal work on the taxonomy of its birds are urgently required.

The undescribed taxa are :
The "Taliabu Bush Warbler" (Bradypterus sp.)
The "Taliabu Island Thrush" (Turdus poliocephalus ssp.)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back