• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Northumberland flowers ID (1 Viewer)

Thanks! It's obviously Opposite-leaved Golden Saxifrage now you say it! Why on earth didn't I spot this in my guide?!

Out and about a lot in the last few weeks, and very little time to catch-up on some identification puzzles.... so here goes....

The first one, I think, is Bush Vetch, but apparently there are other similar species. First seen on a roadside verge a couple of weeks ago, and along several other verges since then.

Next up, a very low-growing flower found growing in the car park of Newcastle Airport....not a clue!

And in the same location, some tiny, fine, translucent seed pods... not sure if this is enough to go on...

Then two seemingly very similar flowers from another rural lane nearby, one a lovely pale pink colour with wonderfully curled stamen, and then a white flower with very similar petals but no curly stamen...

Thanks!

Attachments

• bush_vetch.jpg
    bush_vetch.jpg
    159.7 KB · Views: 77
  • NCL1.jpg
    NCL1.jpg
    300.5 KB · Views: 79
  • NCL3.jpg
    NCL3.jpg
    293.4 KB · Views: 84
  • Hepscott1.jpg
    Hepscott1.jpg
    271.2 KB · Views: 68
  • Hepscott2.jpg
    Hepscott2.jpg
    293.3 KB · Views: 74
Agree 1 Bush Vetch, Vicia sepium
2 Slender Trefoil, Trifolium micranthum
3 Look like seed heads of Whitlow Grass, Erophila verna + Epilobium shoot
4 Suspect hybrid Red x White Campion, Silene x hampeana
5 White Campion, Silene latifolia

And there's more (just as an aside, I do actually identify some species myself, although it doesn't seem like it!!)

The first I am fairly sure is water avens, although the description in my book says it has pale purple flowers, and these don't have a hint of purple!

The second of these should surely be obvious, but I cannot find anything like it at all in my guide!!

And finally, same small pale blue flowers that also do not resemble anything in my guide that I can see...

Attachments

• Nwitton1.jpg
    Nwitton1.jpg
    369 KB · Views: 84
  • Nwitton2.jpg
    Nwitton2.jpg
    324.3 KB · Views: 80
  • EmbTerr1.jpg
    EmbTerr1.jpg
    274.5 KB · Views: 78
Agree 1 Bush Vetch, Vicia sepium
2 Slender Trefoil, Trifolium micranthum
3 Look like seed heads of Whitlow Grass, Erophila verna + Epilobium shoot
4 Suspect hybrid Red x White Campion, Silene x hampeana
5 White Campion, Silene latifolia

Wow, thanks! Very fast... quicker than I could post the next lot!!

Thanks again :)

And there's more....! This may be a long-shot, as it's a landscape photo, but I am hoping one of you clever folk can confirms my thoughts. This lovely meadow of wild-flowers near Alnmouth contained some stunning blood-red pom-pom flowers! I couldn't get any closer than this, and the photo is taken with my phone, but based on the habitat, general appearance, and the pom-pom like nature of the flowers (seen through binoculars!), I am thinking these red blobs are Great Burnet... would that be right?

Attachments

• alnmouth.jpg
    alnmouth.jpg
    437.6 KB · Views: 91
Dear oh dear! I have lots from this weekend! I reckon I've been unable to definitively identify 50% of the species I saw while out on my bike this weekend.... so here goes...

The first few were on a coastal cliff...

The first one has a look of Common Scurvy Grass to me, but there seem to be q few differences to the other photo I posted earlier...

Next, some kind of sorrel, I think, but not sure which one.

Then a purple and white iris, which I wonder if it's a cultivated species

...and right next to the iris, this rather intricate purple flower....

Attachments

• SS_1.jpg
    SS_1.jpg
    259.1 KB · Views: 89
  • SS_2.jpg
    SS_2.jpg
    310.7 KB · Views: 74
  • SS_3.jpg
    SS_3.jpg
    298 KB · Views: 83
  • SS_4.jpg
    SS_4.jpg
    323.7 KB · Views: 93
1 Hoary Cress, Lepidium draba
2 Common Sorrel, Rumex acetosa
3 Garden Iris cultivar, suspect I. germanica or I. pallida in there
4 Columbine double , Aquilegia cultivar featuring A. vulgaris

Latter 2 both garden escapes

Then there are these three, also from the coast.

1. I really have no idea, but wonder if it's a garden escape

2. I think could be ivy-leaved toadflax, but again a garden escape, as this would appear to be a Southern European species!

3. Is this Smooth Hawk's-beard? All these dandelion-like species confuse me completely!

Attachments

• TP_1.jpg
    TP_1.jpg
    366.5 KB · Views: 82
  • TP_2.jpg
    TP_2.jpg
    304.3 KB · Views: 78
  • TP_3.jpg
    TP_3.jpg
    302.9 KB · Views: 82
1. Sea Daisy, Erigeron glaucus, garden escape, common by sea in South
2. Ivy-leaved Toadflax, Cymbalaria muralis, introduced in 1617! Common on walls.
3. Possibly Smooth Sow Thistle, Sonchus oleracea, try to take macro photos of bracts upper and lower leaves
Dave

1. Sea Daisy, Erigeron glaucus, garden escape, common by sea in South
2. Ivy-leaved Toadflax, Cymbalaria muralis, introduced in 1617! Common on walls.
3. Possibly Smooth Sow Thistle, Sonchus oleracea, try to take macro photos of bracts upper and lower leaves
Dave

Agree with all these IDs. Definitely Smooth Sow-thistle.

You folk are brilliant!

Now, finally, three more, which I think I have got right....

Both were along a some paths developed from former coal-cart rail lines, which cut through a local business park.

I think the first is Creeping Cinquefoil, although my book does not show a picture of it, it describes it well, and photos on-line seem to agree.

And the second and third photos are of my second orchid discovery, which I think is a Northern Marsh Orchid.

And the last photo, I believe is salad burnet....?

Attachments

• creeping_cinquefoil.jpg
    creeping_cinquefoil.jpg
    162.5 KB · Views: 92
  • northern_marsh_orchid.jpg
    northern_marsh_orchid.jpg
    256.5 KB · Views: 75
  • northern_marsh_orchid3.jpg
    northern_marsh_orchid3.jpg
    281.8 KB · Views: 84
  • salad_burnet.jpg
    salad_burnet.jpg
    415.7 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:
Correct on all!

Woohoo!

Next two, taken in nearby meadows and arable land....

The first is a very untidy looking thistle. Not sure if it's possible to ID without the flower bud open, but there was a whole load of these on a fallow field previously used (last year) for turnips!

Then a delicate pale pink flower growing on the edge of a subsidence pond in local farmland. The flowers look right for cuckooflower, but the leaves don't (the leaves in my guide look more like watercress, not pointy like these).

Attachments

• Bothal1.jpg
    Bothal1.jpg
    289.2 KB · Views: 95
  • Bothal2.jpg
    Bothal2.jpg
    214.1 KB · Views: 98
Thanks again.

The stem was certainly very woolly! But looking at other pictures on-line, the flowers of woolly thistle look very bulbous...

And then, of course, there are some more!!!! These are actually from wetlands in County Durham, but it's near enough! There were dozens of different flowers in the area, and I reckon I have about 80% of them identified :) ....but some I am not sure about.... so here goes....

The first I thought could be greater knapweed, but the leaves don't look right, so I wondered about perennial cornflower, but the colour doesn't look right! Sorry it's blurred - it was very windy!

Next, another thistle - creeping thistle?

And then yet another thistle - spot a theme? (who'd have thought there were so many species of thistle!)

Then, some attractive stripy pink flowers, which I think could be Sainfoin

And finally some kind of Geranium species, I think

Attachments

• SH1.jpg
    SH1.jpg
    322.9 KB · Views: 92
  • SH2.jpg
    SH2.jpg
    343.8 KB · Views: 92
  • SH3.jpg
    SH3.jpg
    258.8 KB · Views: 84
  • SH4.jpg
    SH4.jpg
    338.2 KB · Views: 101
  • SH5.jpg
    SH5.jpg
    229.7 KB · Views: 83
1 - looks OK for Brown Knapweed to me
2 - yep, Creeping Thistle
3 - another Creeping Thistle
4 - yep, Sainfoin (garden escape)
5 - Cut-leaved Crane's-bill Geranium dissectum

Sainfoin was grown as a fodder crop + often originates from this. It is attractive + would be garden worthy but don't think I've ever seen it in a domestic garden, though have in botanic gardens. Can be plentiful where it occurs.

Me again.... and something a bit different today....

Found a patch of this variegated grass while out and about in south west Northumberland last weekend. It strikes me as something quite "domesticated" (if that's a word you can use for plants), but it was a long way from any areas of habitation.

Any ideas, anyone?

Attachments

• GL_grass.jpg
    GL_grass.jpg
    265.4 KB · Views: 77
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back