• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Fungi for ID (1 Viewer)

Rudegar

I first thought this tiny mushroom ( ~ 1 cm across) was Orange Mosscap (Rickenella fibula) as it was among moss on a coastal scrubland/grassland. But the spores were much too large ( ~ 8.2 x 5 µm), so perhaps Heath Navel (Lichenomphalia umbellifera) ??

Attachments

• Fungi-13-5.jpg
    Fungi-13-5.jpg
    258.4 KB · Views: 44
  • Fungi-14-6.jpg
    Fungi-14-6.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 33
Hi colin

Oooh, this is a tricky one and a bit outside my comfort zone....

We can rule out R.fibula, based on colour (plus at the magnification of pic #2 you'd be able to see cystidia, which Rickenella has all over the place)

I'm not very familiar with Lichenomphalia (I saw it years ago in Scotland but it seems rare or absent down here in Sussex), but the habitat seems weird and I'd expect a distinctive colour (purplish-olivaceous-coffee) at the stem top.....
I'm not sure if you still have the material, but you could check for an abundance of green algal cells at the stem base - Lichenomphalia (as it's name suggests) is a lichen so it needs a symbiote.

I wonder if Arhennia rickenii is a better fit? My literature says of this species "Among low mosses, especially Barbula species on calcareous sand....".

Cheers,
Nick

P.S I've never seen A.rickenii either, so this is all 'stabbing in the dark'!

Last edited:
Thanks Nick. Arhennia is a new name for me - there's a lot of them isn't there and many all seem to look much the same!! but as you say the habitat is right for A. rickenii. Couldn't seem to find much info about them though.
Best wishes.
Colin.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back