• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds you've seen from your hotel room (1 Viewer)

Digbert Doobrey

Well we've got threads for bedroom window ticks and birds seen at work so I thought why not one from our holidays. Now I know some birders will book a holiday just because they know they will get some great birding just from the view from their holiday cottage or hotel, and after all, why wouldn't you?

Now I've had views from hotel rooms that have ranged from literally just a brick wall in front of me to gorgeous views out to sea or hills and valleys.

I'll kick it off with some highlights from my trips and hopefully if people add to the thread it could help to give ideas for your next birding holiday;

Stonechat from my cottage bedroom in County Clare Ireland
Magnificent Frigatebird from the Riu Palace in Aruba and I could see Black Skimmers from the corridor outside the room
Little Bittern from the hotel Pasiphae in Lesvos
African Pygmy Kingfisher, amongst many others, from Footsteps eco-lodge in Gambia. I'm cheating a bit there though because I had to sit outside the chalet to see the birds.

So far, I haven't really kept track either, but I remember two life ticks in one day - Oriental Magpie Robin and Light-vented Bulbul in Chengdu (although technically, that was from the corridor window next to my room).

This thread could come to resemble a more positive version of the Four Yorkshiremen sketch from Monty Python. My fondest recollection of this type concerns the view from the shower cubicle of our room at the Wickaninnish Inn on the Pacific shoreline of Vancouver Island in May 2015. During the course of a single shower the sea and shoreline in view offered ten Pacific Divers (plus a stream of others heading north offshore), a Pelagic Cormorant, 2 Surf Scoters, a Black Oystercatcher, 2 Wandering Tattlers (lifer), sundry Glaucous-winged Gulls, 20 Common Guillemots and a roosting flight of Northwestern Crows.

This thread could come to resemble a more positive version of the Four Yorkshiremen sketch from Monty Python. My fondest recollection of this type concerns the view from the shower cubicle of our room at the Wickaninnish Inn on the Pacific shoreline of Vancouver Island in May 2015. During the course of a single shower the sea and shoreline in view offered ten Pacific Divers (plus a stream of others heading north offshore), a Pelagic Cormorant, 2 Surf Scoters, a Black Oystercatcher, 2 Wandering Tattlers (lifer), sundry Glaucous-winged Gulls, 20 Common Guillemots and a roosting flight of Northwestern Crows.
Did you take your bins and scope into the shower, or were all of these birds just a few metres away? 3:)

I may be beginning to fray around the edges but my eyes still work beyond a few metres. The closest birds were the waders, on the shoreline rocks about 15 metres away.

Lesser Redpoll and Siskins from the hot tub in Nethybridge a couple of weeks back and Tysties from the bedroom at the Arch Inn in Ullapool.

Rich

From a 7th-floor window of a hotel in Cottbus, easternmost Germany, a female Goshawk hunting along the street, below me, probably seeking to disturb feral pigeons so as to obtain a useful snack. Having mentioned it to other conference attendees, it transpired that this was an everyday occurrence!
MJB

Not a rarity but probably the best birding phenomena seen from a hotel window was a few years back at the premier inn in Bridgewater. Just as dusk was settling I became aware of a commotion outside the window. On investigation some 200+ pied wagtails were settling down to roost in the tree right outside the window. It was quite fascinating watching them all flitting around and quibbling over the best perches. By the time they had all settled down the tree was absolutely full of them. Never seen so many in one spot before or since. At least some compensation for having to spend the night in Bridgewater I suppose.

There must be a few seawatching hotel room stories. The view below was in Dakhla, Western Sahara and the hotel room list included about thirty species with Marbled Teal, Band-rumped Storm-Petrel, three Skuas, Audouin's Gull, Caspian Tern, Royal Tern, Little Swift, Osprey, Greater Flamingo, etc.

All the best

Paul

Attachments

• 01 16.02.17 07.40 Seawatching (slumming it).jpg
    01 16.02.17 07.40 Seawatching (slumming it).jpg
    206.1 KB · Views: 89
  • 05 Audouin's Gull - adult 16.02.13 2.jpg
    05 Audouin's Gull - adult 16.02.13 2.jpg
    250.7 KB · Views: 91
  • 06 Caspian Tern 16.02.13 15.55.jpg
    06 Caspian Tern 16.02.13 15.55.jpg
    228 KB · Views: 81
  • 10 Little Swift 16.02.13 17.49.jpg
    10 Little Swift 16.02.13 17.49.jpg
    278.1 KB · Views: 80
  • 80 Osprey with fish 16.02.16 17.34.jpg
    80 Osprey with fish 16.02.16 17.34.jpg
    191.4 KB · Views: 98
I didn't see it myself, but one of the other patrons on a tour to Guyana I was on had a rufous potoo while showering (the rooms had roofs, but the showers didn't).

I have never done seperate list from these, but I can (barely) remembor few birds from Cuba at last month. Even I usually kept curtains close (to avoid heat) I sometime opened them. Las Terrazas was a best place in this mind: Turkey Vultures always on air. And right outside of window were Loggerhead Kingbird, Shiny Blackbirds, Tawny-shouldered Cowbirds, Greater Antillean Grackles, Northern Mockingbirds, few Warblers and one splendid Cuban Emerald. Maybe there was some others too.
At the Playa Larga I had a cottage at the beach, but view from my room was limited to other house and one metre of grassy lawn. Still I can remember Palm Warbler and Cuban Crows (and they funny voices).

And I think I always remember White Storks nest next to our balcony from Illmitz, Austria at last summer. There was also Collared Doves, Wood Pigeons, House Sparrows, Blackbirds, Rooks and Blackstarts.

Attachments

• cIMG_7798.jpg
    cIMG_7798.jpg
    218.8 KB · Views: 74
  • cIMG_7766.jpg
    cIMG_7766.jpg
    144.2 KB · Views: 85
  • cIMG_7756.jpg
    cIMG_7756.jpg
    231.3 KB · Views: 75
  • cIMG_7745.jpg
    cIMG_7745.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 82
  • cIMG_8567.jpg
    cIMG_8567.jpg
    594.3 KB · Views: 84
As I travel three or four times a year for work this is a regular source of interesting birds for me:

Delhi, September 2011:

In India for a 2-day conference I had no time to explore farther afield and all my birding was done from the verandah of my third floor room in the elegant Claridges Hotel in a very leafy district of Delhi close to Lodhi Park. I was fortunate enough to be in an end room, hard up against a copse of mature trees that included a couple of casuarinas, several tree with small but clearly attractive fruit and a couple of palms. My birding was limited to a couple of hours at dawn on two mornings and an afternoon.

I was roused by the pre-dawn bubbling of a Linneated Barbet and then blasted out of any vestiges of slumber by rapier-tailed squadrons of Ring-necked Parakeets blasting between the treetops and over the roofs shrieking like banshees, yellow underwings flashing in the first rays of the sun. An immaculate White-throated Kingfisher flipped up into the casuarina, delivered a couple its mocking fanfare, and flashed off in a riot of dazzling blue.

The first birds in the trees right next to the balcony were a nice-but-dim-seeming party of grey-brown soft-plumaged Jungle Babblers and a funereal Asian Koel. They were joined by four Linneated Barbets, Red-whiskered and Red-vented Bulbuls and a much smaller Purple Sunbird. Black Kites were emerging out of the trees and drifting about at eye-level, and small groups on Indian Pond Herons and Cattle Egrets began heading eastwards. House Crows put in a typically seedy appearance along with several Common Mynas and a pair of Magpie Robins, three or four Black Drongos looped casually over and a Large-billed Crow flapped steadily by.

I was very pleased to eventually enjoy wonderful close-up views of a couple of handsome Yellow-footed Green Pigeon, an elegant combination of dove- grey crown and nuchal collar with fine yellow feet and leggings adding a perfect counterpoint of colour. Overhead a Besra was harassed out of sight by some parakeets, while small bands of House Swifts and the odd Barn Swallow drifted over.

The highlight of the afternoon was a surprise Brahminy Starling, while Common Tailorbird was a familiar friend from home, and a YBW-like phyllosc and a Lesser Whitethroat reminded me that autumn migration was well underway. I also had an unidentified falcon that swept away out of sight without so much as a wingbeat. I suspect Hobby, but a suspicion is all it is.

The most surprising bird was preceded by a clear piping call and I zipped round to the edge of the verandah just in time to see a Red-Wattled Lapwing landing on the roof! Looking up from here a few Ring-necked Parakeets were in the top of the casuarina, one of them dangling casually upside-down for no very good reason except that the branch was bending. Sill, it seemed perfectly happy, so who am I to judge?

25 species plus a stripy squirrel sp. in a couple of hours was a great return, especially given the limited birding opportunities – wonderful India! On a subsequent trip I had Green Peafowl and again Red-wattled Lapwing at an airport hotel. http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=320969

Phuket, Thailand, April 2013

My conference is in the Hilton Arcadia, which is set in very nice grounds built around a set of lakes and canals.It all started well as within one minute of stepping onto the balcony of my room a flying lizard entered horizontally stage right and stuck itself onto the trunk of a coconut palm! Since then I've been racking up quite a list with highlights including Indian Roller being chased by what I think are Black Drongos, while the visible water has already played host to Little Cormorant, Openbill Stork, Striated Heron and a family of White-breasted Waterhens. Other birds I haven't seen for a while include Zebra Dove, Little Green Pigeon, Vinous-breatsed Starling, Coppersmith Barbet (heard only so far), and an unidentified oriole, while the never silent Common Myna, Koel and Greater Cocual provide the mood music.​

Puerto Vallarta, Mexico December 2014:

Having checked into the Fiesta Americana hotel I was rather blown away by the group of 20-odd Magnificent Frigatebirds cruising casually over the beachfront and even the pool – often coming to within ten metres of the building! Looking a bit further out to sea numerous splashes hinted at a healthy population of dolphin (they are Bottle-nosed Dolphins here) , and even better a couple of adult Blue-footed Boobies wandered a little offshore from the frigatebirds and the odd Brown Pelican.​

Dead Sea, Jordan April 2015:

This morning the breeze was blowing gently inshore across the Dead Sea, but before I even found that out I was surprised to see a Red-rumped Swallow land in the tree right outside my room. It was also interesting to figure out that the low buzz I’d heard a couple of mornings pre-dawn was coming from the resident Pale Crag Martins, which I never heard calling at any other time of day throughout my stay.​

Dubai October 2016:

I did also see a few birds from my hotel at the Festival City Intercontinental. Every morning six or eight Caspian Terns were patrolling the creek and even came in close to search the inlet between the helicopter pads. A pair of Green Bee-eaters appeared to be nesting in one of the rather lonely-looking trees on the esplanade. Other bits and pieces seen far down the creek included a couple of large white-headed gulls, a Curlew and a couple more Red-wattled Lapwings, but really this visit was all about a cracking morning in the park.​

I see many more birds on holiday of course, when the hotels are oftenchosen because they are in good habitat, but one noteworthy surprise came from borrowing a friends house in Port Fairy near Melbourne:

" . . .and woke to find a superb location looking out over a low cliff to the surf of the Southern Ocean crashing onto a reef of black basalt rocks about 100 metres offshore. We were incredibly fortunate to be able to stay at the beautiful beachfront house of a generous work colleague, which meant that every one of our four days here began for me with a scan beyond the surf to see how many albatrosses were on view! Yes you did read that right – albatrosses! I had been disappointed to learn on my arrival on Friday evening that the planned pelagics would not be going and I resigned myself to once again missing out (after twice being denied by the weather in Cape Town) on a trip that would likely deliver these wonderful birds. Enjoying up to a dozen - two Black-browed and ten Shy Albatrosses and my first Giant Petrel sp. (albeit an all-dark juvenile that even in my greatest flights of optimism I could not identify to species) made a terrific start to each day – especially as many of these birds were planing majestically along no more than a couple of hundred metres offshore. I learned that the best way to separate them was on the width of the dark borders to the underwings (Shy = narrow, Black-browed = broader) and the more yellow toned bill of Black-browed. I searched in vain for the smaller and mostly black-billed Yellow-nosed Albatross, which is also supposed to be one to look for inshore, but this really didn’t matter as having such a spectacle without even leaving the house was the real highlight for me of the whole trip.

A bit further offshore a shearwater was passing in small numbers. They were too far away to be safely identified as either Hutton’s or Fluttering Shearwaters, but were certainly one or the other. Australian Gannets were more identifiable – but this was a rather easier ID challenge due to the lack of alternatives – although Cape Gannet have bred along the Victorian coast in the not too distant past.

Other birds on the basalt rocks in from of the house included, a couple of both Sooty and Australian Pied Oystercatchers – a regular 70 Greater Crested Terns, a smattering of Silver Gulls, a pair each of pale-footed Kelp Gulls and the fabulous Pacific Gull, with a humungous orange wedge of a bill and all dark primaries. I thought I had a small wader as a monochrome small bird flipped onto one of the outermost rocks. My hopes it might be a Hooded Plover were dashed when on landing it revealed an all-white face and big black breast band like a leucopsis White Wagtail – except it had no tail – leaving me completely baffled. What on earth was a piebald blobby passerine doing bobbing around on the wave-washed rocks? A few minutes later a group of four of these striking passerines landed within 30 yards of me, and my frantic flicking through the pages of Pizzey and Knight resolved my conundrum – the terrific White-fronted Chat. Any thoughts about the birds appearing either in this habitat or this time of the year would be most welcome.

The native bushes in front of the house delivered a few trash birds – Eurasian Starling, European Greenfinch, European Greenfinch, but also some local quality in the form of a pair of Singing Honeyeaters, while a trio of Masked Lapwings patrolled the lawn on either side of the road, and on the final morning a couple of Nankeen Kestrels and a Collared Sparrowhawk kept the Australian Magpies in good voice.

The video link captures the watchpoint and Australian Magpies that came each morning to see if I was going to give them any food.

[url]http://youtu.be/otfSIE3gjfAhttp://youtu.be/otfSIE3gjfA[/URL]​

Cheers
Mike

Last edited:
I'd forgotten Lac Le Jeune in BC.

Bald Eagle
Hooded Merganser
Buffleheads
Black Bear
Beaver
Common Loons
Surf Scoter
Steller's Jay
Osprey

Etc. Etc. And 10 mins late for a Lynx.:eek!:

I just remembered one of my best pre-birding sightings: a flock of Toco Toucans in the trees across the parking lot from my hotel on the Argentinian side of Iguassu Falls.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back