• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Finding Hawfinch (1 Viewer)

Kathi Hutton

I will be in Edinburgh 31 Aug till 3 Sept, 2017, staying on Inverleith Terrace near the Royal Botanic Gardens. I understand that Hawfinch have been seen there in the past, but not in recent years, and that I would have better luck finding them at Scone Palace.

The train to Perth is about 2.5 hrs each way. What are the odds I could pick up Hawfinch at Scone Palace, and given that I have limited time in the city, is it worth the twitch? Is there a chance of finding them at the gardens, and if so, in what section should I search?

Thank you for any help you can give me,
Kathi

Scone is the best place in Scotland for Hawfinch. If you were going at this time of the year I'd say you have a good chance. In late summer/ early autumn I suspect the chances are much lower although I've never actually tried at that time of year. The areas between Stormfield Road and the palace are probably best in my experience, at least between February and April.

Unless seeing Hawfinch is absolutely a top priority, there's probably much better birding to be had looking for other things in Scotland at that time of the year. Also, if you get the opportunity to travel to continental Europe in the future, Hawfinch tends to be a lot easier there.

It is hard enough trying to find/see Hawfinch when there are no leaves on the trees. Not impossible when there are leaves on the trees but I'd imagine it would be a lot harder. As Andrew says there are probably plenty other more productive ways to spend the time you'd spend to/from Perth & Scone Palace at that time of year. Migrants should be on the move then, so the Lothian coast could be one option, especially with favourable winds.

Hi Kathi

The Train journey from Edinburgh to Perth takes around 1.5 hours and not as long as you first thought.

Buses to/from Scone Palace will add to that though, and aren't too regular (maybe 1 (possibly 2) per hour), so if train/bus times don't marry up particularly well, it could take more than the 2.5 hours to get from A to B.

Thank you all for your advice. I must have misread the train schedules. Hawfinch would be a good bird for me, but not absolutely essential. I think I will forego it and spend my time in other pursuits.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back