• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (50 Viewers)

The Spot Fly is hanging around that general area. I caught a fleeting glimpse of it in the Hawthorn on the corner of the path just past the Cuckoo hide. Then failed to reconnect with it.
Phil asked me to post some pictures of the silted areas where the October Work Party will be concentrating on.

Attachments

• IMG_6564.jpg
    IMG_6564.jpg
    324.1 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_6565.jpg
    IMG_6565.jpg
    355.9 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_6566.jpg
    IMG_6566.jpg
    296.4 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_6567.jpg
    IMG_6567.jpg
    363.1 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_6568.jpg
    IMG_6568.jpg
    296.6 KB · Views: 59
Wednesday 10th September

Stealing Des's thunder (hopefully not rolling ;)) ...

MOORS POOL
2 Wigeon, 2 Gadwall, 5 Teal, 18 Shoveler, c100 Mallard, 13 Tufted Duck, 1 adult + 2 juv GC Grebe, 7 Little Grebe, 4 Cormorant, 2 Little Egret, 2 Grey Heron, 10 Moorhen, 197 Coot, c1000 BH Gull, c50 larger gulls (90% LBB; remainder Herring), Water Rail, 22 Greylag Geese, 13 Canada Geese, 2 adult + 6 juv Mute Swan, Jay, Kingfisher, Grey Wagtail, 2 Stock Dove, 3 Cetti's Warbler singing - 1 on southern boundary, 1 on east side and 1 along causeway.
North Moors - Jay, Goldcrest, several Meadow Pipits over, Chiffchaff in full song, Water Rail

SAILING POOL
1 Mute Swan, 1 adult + 1 juv GC Grebe, 8 Coot, 60 Mallard, Grey Wagtail

FLASHES
Juv Ruff, 4 Green Sand, 1 Common Sand, 13 Snipe, 3 Dunlin, 4 juv Ringed Plover, 165 Lapwing, 20 Shoveler, c50 Mallard, 120 Teal, 16 Coot, 37 Moorhen, 1 juv Little Grebe, c100 BH Gull, 1 Canada Geese (appears to have broken both wings), Kestrel, Buzzard, Jay, Raven, Spotted Flycatcher by Hen Pool, Willow Warbler in same area, Blackcap in full song

Today's highlights:

FLASHES:
Ruff-----------------------Ringed Plover (4)
Dunlin (4)----------------Green Sand (5)
Common Sand-----------Snipe (15)
Lapwing (35)-------------Meadow Pipit (2)
Grey Wagtail-------------Shoveler (20)
Teal (c.130---------------Peregrine
Raven (3)-----------------B H Gull (c1200)
Greylag Goose (23)------Sedge Warbler (2)
Little Grebe---------------Little Egret (briefly this evening)

MOORS:
Cetti's Warbler (2)-------Raven (2)
Kingfisher (2)------------Wigeon (2)
Little Egret (2)-----------Coot (c220)
Little Grebe (7)----------Water Rail
Shoveler (4)-------------Herring Gull (4)
L B B Gull (37)-----------Cormorant (4)

SAILING POOL:
Grey Wagtail

Des.

The Spot Fly is hanging around that general area. I caught a fleeting glimpse of it in the Hawthorn on the corner of the path just past the Cuckoo hide. Then failed to reconnect with it.
Phil asked me to post some pictures of the silted areas where the October Work Party will be concentrating on.

Thanks for posting these Simon.

The first Flashes work party of the 14/15 season (Sunday 5th October) will concentrate on desilting these areas to provide prime wader feeding habitats at a variety of water levels. With the encroaching phragmites reducing the length of available shoreline, the last thing we can afford is the loss of further mud - the drying out of the 'key-hole' in Simon's second and third shots effectively reduces the muddy margin by around 30 foot.

Please help save important Nightingale habitat

I saw this request from the RSPB to petition Eric Pickles to intervene in a housing development in Kent:

http://www.rarebirdalert.co.uk/v2/C...s_on_nightingale_habitat.aspx?s_id=1035632173

Even though I am in the unfortunate position of having large housing developments having been granted on my doorstep I recognize that the proposal highlighted by the RSPB is of FAR greater significance. If it goes ahead the proposal in Kent (5,000 houses) will trash a prime SSSI which is a national stronghold of Nightingales (which are already much depleted in the UK) and it will set a very dangerous precedent for further speculative damaging developments.

Please follow the link and add your voice to this important petition.

Many thanks :t:

I saw this request from the RSPB to petition Eric Pickles to intervene in a housing development in Kent:

http://www.rarebirdalert.co.uk/v2/C...s_on_nightingale_habitat.aspx?s_id=1035632173

Even though I am in the unfortunate position of having large housing developments having been granted on my doorstep I recognize that the proposal highlighted by the RSPB is of FAR greater significance. If it goes ahead the proposal in Kent (5,000 houses) will trash a prime SSSI which is a national stronghold of Nightingales (which are already much depleted in the UK) and it will set a very dangerous precedent for further speculative damaging developments.

done - thanks for that

Dave, just responded. :t:

Done. Wish there wasnt a need to; I remember this population when I lived down on the Medway :-C

Done.

Des.

Done. Its been highlighted on social media too. (twitter) . I shall copy it onto mine and some nature group pages on facebook when I get home.

Done

Done. Sadly, I doubt even that would have any effect, as that particular office seem to rubber stamp every development application put in front of them. For the 'Greenest Government Ever', as declared at the last election, this shower have confirmed to me that honest, truthful politicians would appear to be as common as flying pink elephants, and less useful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back