• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Small South African Birds I NEED HELP #1 (1 Viewer)

Greg McKay

I like the pretty colors
Hi all
I have recently returned from Southern Africa where I just Kept taking photos of any birds I saw. I have been able to identify about 75% of them but need help with the rest. The raptors and smaller birds are giving particular trouble. Can you help me with these 5 smaller birds.
All I can work out is
1. Clearly bee eaters the guide said white fronted but I can't see it
2. Looks like a Cape Robin but way out of range photographed near the Nambibian Sth Afr border
3,4 and 5 could be anything i've got no real idea

Attachments

• bee eaters.jpg
    bee eaters.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 157
  • looks like cape robin but at augrabies nth west.jpg
    looks like cape robin but at augrabies nth west.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 138
  • need help 3.jpg
    need help 3.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 167
  • need help 4.jpg
    need help 4.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 170
  • need help 5.jpg
    need help 5.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 174
Hi Greg, Referring to my guidebook I would agree that 1 is white fronted bee-eater. It has white above and below the bill with a black mask and then red on the lower throat which matches white fronted. 2 looks like a cape robin, as you say, and I don't have a problem with the range as my book says that it can be found in that region. 4 looks like a titbabbler with that white eye, streaked chest and chestnut vent. And 5 is probably the same - were they in the same place? Sorry I can't do much for 3 without a bit more time to research. Andy

1 - Yes, White-fronted. Not sure why you're having trouble seeing this, look like classic White-fronted to me.
1 - Yes, Cape Robin, out of range or not!
3 - One of the Penduline Tits maybe? cape? Mouse-coloured? Not sure what's in that area. (If indeed it is one!)
4 - One of the Tit-Babblers - mind's a blank on the name! See what works in the field guide.
5 - Same as 4.

Nice photos by the way!

James

Thanks Everyone

James My problem with the bee eaters is that my guide shows them with a very light colored breast almost a pale yellow with an almost lime green wing. As per the photo the birds we saw were of a much darker color in these areas particulary on the breast which was a lot darker. As they say never completely trust a field guide

Thanks Rachel

More research
Get that field guide out I still have as many more as I have posted tonite to identify.

Yes, agree with the ID's. The Tit-babbler is the Chestnut-vented, i.e. Sylvia [Parisoma] subcaeruleum. James, good eye on the Penduline-Tit - without your kibbitzing I might have had difficulty on the genus - should be the Cape Penduline-Tit (Anthoscopus minutus) on gross morphology.

Last edited:
Yes, agree with the ID's. The Tit-babbler is the Layards, i.e. Sylvia [Parisoma] subcaeruleum. James, good eye on the Penduline-Tit - without your kibbitzing I might have had difficulty on the genus - should be the Cape Penduline-Tit (Anthoscopus minutus) on gross morphology.

Isn't subcaeruleum Chestnut-vented Titbabbler, Steve? Layard's is layardi, unless things have changed recently.

Hi Andrew,
You are absolutely right - just screwed up while copying the stuff down from the Sasol - I never use either Parisoma or the S African common names so do not have them down to memory.

Going by my guide books these is what i think the birds are.

1. Is a white fronted bee-eater
2. Is a Cape Robin
3. Don't no yet.
4. Chestnut vented titbabbler
5. Chestnut vented titbabbler

Thanks again everyone

Rachel
4 was taken in the Kgalagadi NP near the Namibin border west side of Sth Afr
5 was taken in the Timbavati area next to Kruger East sid of Sth Afr

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back