• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Northern france quite a few ids needed (1 Viewer)

birdermoose

birder
Hi again all,
I have just come back from a great trip to France in which I got 21 lifers but here are some birds I couldn't Id.
First This wader was seen at marrquenterre. It had Yellow legs and was a bit bigger than a Redshank(Which was next to it on the left.)
Second pipit sp? Seen at marrquenterre.
All the rest were seen from the ferry and sorry for the bad photos.
Thanks again all.

Attachments

• CRW_4045 copy.jpg
    CRW_4045 copy.jpg
    197.5 KB · Views: 226
  • CRW_4050 copy.jpg
    CRW_4050 copy.jpg
    143.4 KB · Views: 183
  • CRW_4052 copy.jpg
    CRW_4052 copy.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 171
  • CRW_3925 copy.jpg
    CRW_3925 copy.jpg
    232.7 KB · Views: 193
  • CRW_3121 copy.jpg
    CRW_3121 copy.jpg
    135.5 KB · Views: 222
Last edited:
Last two
from ferry English channel nearer France

Attachments

• CRW_3067 copy copy.jpg
    CRW_3067 copy copy.jpg
    178.7 KB · Views: 258
  • CRW_3108 copy.jpg
    CRW_3108 copy.jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 246
I don't 1-3 look like Greenshank...more like Redshank or Ruff..hard to tell from these images. The last image is a Great Skua.

cheers

I see:
1/2/3 - hard to be sure but I would say probably Greenshank
4 - juvenile Meadow Pipit
5 - Common Scoter
6 - Great Skua
7 - Manxie

The last image is a Great Skua.

presumably you mean the penultimate image ? left side, 2nd set ?

and I still don't think it is. The pale patch is on the far underwing rather than the near forewing

I hate seawatching, hold it in the same esteem as watching paint dry, and therefore do it as little as possible, but I'd say the last one is a Manxy. If the one to the left is the same bird then - by process of deduction befitting Sherlock Holmes himself - it is also a Manxy

and I still don't think it is. The pale patch is on the far underwing rather than the near forewing

I hate seawatching, hold it in the same esteem as watching paint dry, and therefore do it as little as possible, but I'd say the last one is a Manxy. If the one to the left is the same bird then - by process of deduction befitting Sherlock Holmes himself - it is also a Manxy

The images are of different birds. But I will agree sea-watching wasn't the most exiting thing, the birds were just too few and far away but it was good that almost all birds seen were lifers.

I'm not sure I agree with the assessment of the wingpatch on the skua...I see it as being on the near forewing and that bird is yelping bonxie at me. Manxy for the other one.

I agree that the penultimate image is a Manx Shearwater & the white patch is on the far underwing & not the near upperwing, quite a deceptive image.

To my eyes....

1-3; The wader looks more like a Ruff than a Greenshank to me - for one thing, the bill's a bit straight for Greenshank.

4; I'll happily go along with juvenile Meadow Pipit

5; A nice flock of Common Scoter

6; This is a Bonxie. Even if you believe the wingflash is some weird photo artifact, look at the shape of the wings. Also the colouration shown on the bird's back - have you ever seen a Manxie show that colour, or any brownish tone in the light conditions of these photos?

7; This is the fun one, as far as I'm concerned. Its probably a Manxie, but from this image it might be an auk, or even a young Gannet! Was it flying pretty straight and fast with fast wingbeats and only the occasional glide? Or with more stiff-winged gliding on a more erratic course? Or a fairly heavy, laboured mix of flapping and gliding?

Maybe not a Manx but how about Balearic, I still don't think it's a Bonxie. The white flash is a photo artifact IMO & marks the wingtip of the near wing.

I agree that the penultimate image is a Manx Shearwater & the white patch is on the far underwing & not the near upperwing, quite a deceptive image.

I was referring to the penultimate image in set 2. apologies....nevertheless I'm still of the opinion that the bird is a Bonxie, even allowing for the distance. For me..from that angle of shot, you should be able to see the white flank patch, indeed a slither of white should be visible on the throat against a contrasting cap, I can appreciate the pale patch being on the underside of the port wing and not on the starboard wing theory, but to my eye that would be at an acutely different angle to the port, something that doesn't quite look right. The body in my opinion looks to immediately ''deepen'' from the utc's forward thus giving a heavy feel, and not more streamlined as you would expect from Manx Shearwater.

cheers

1-3 Ruff
4 Meadow Pipit
5 Common Scoter
6 Probably Bonxie
7 Manx Shear-too black and white for Balearic and doesnt look right to be an Auk

To my eyes....

6; This is a Bonxie. Even if you believe the wingflash is some weird photo artifact, look at the shape of the wings. Also the colouration shown on the bird's back - have you ever seen a Manxie show that colour, or any brownish tone in the light conditions of these photos?

brownish tone, yes. If In doubt refer to the Collins guide

not sure why you mention the word 'artifact'. An artifact is some sort of error in visual representation. I'm saying the bird is slightly banked away, that the far underwing is white centrally with a dark trailing edge, and that the dark area ahead of the white area is the upperwing of the near wing

my first instinct was Balearic but I feel the underwing pattern better suits Manx so I changed my mind

reluctant as I am to challenge FPS, who I am led to believe has been out on some sort of floating vessel in the North Sea for weeks on end, I just cannot make this a Bonxie, much as I can see perfectly well why anyone would say it was one

look at the waves versus the bird. This is not a heavy sea and the bird does not look far off the ship, thus it looks well less than the size of a Bonxie to me. Even structurally I can't make it a Bonxie. It looks like a banker (boooo hissss) rather than a flapper

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back