• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird Egg (1 Viewer)

sabron

Hello im new here, but i came to this board for help conserning my bird egg.. i have a pigeon egg i have been trying to hatch.. its about a week old so far.. But last night i made the mistake of turning the heatlight off to let it cool down.. and forgot to turn it back on and passed out.. i woke up about 30 mins ago and panic'd and switched the light on.. i whould have to say about... from 12:00 AM to 11 AM the egg has had no heat.. .. is it dead? or can it be saved?

Hello sabron and a warm welcome to you.

You may not have noticed, but BirdForum is dedicated solely to the discussion of wild birds/nature - not captives/bred birds.

We would, however, love to hear about the wild birds you are seeing in your garden.

This bird egg is from my garden.. i watch my neighbors cat tear the nest apart.. i saved the egg.. and bury'd the parents ..

Okay, that information was missing from your initial post.

I do know that some birds do not sit continually on their eggs until all have been laid so you might be alright there. Have you tried to hold it up to a light to see what you can see inside?

Sabron, don't be upset by the very valid comment by KC.. We are a protective lot and had all the info been on the first post all would have been clear. I have to say what you have done is a nobel act HOWEVER...if you are sucessfull in the hatch of this chick you are in for one hell of a time. The correct food, size, quantity etc etc is a skilled job. You might want to research a recognised breader / animal rescue center who would take this responsibilty on. What happens when it come to "nest leaving time"? Will it imprint on you. Will you be MUM. It will want to be near you. It won't migrate (if indeed the bird is naturally inclined to do so). It has to fend for itself..etc etc...MINEFIELD. If you are willing to take all this on then good luck and keep us posted. If its going to be too much trouble perhaps let nature take its course. I am not critisising what you have done. When I was young, I myself rescued a Swift chick. I kept it warm and fed it small flies..You should have seen me swinging a fishing net around the garden for hours at a time to keep up the food. I took the bird out each day and let it grip my fingers whilst I raised and dropped my arm. This encouraged it to flap and thus get stronger. Every time it was outside it called to, presumably it's parents, and others of its kind. Every time the colony would screech and call out. After 5 VERY BUSY days and nights, the bird managed to fly to my house roof whereapon the colony went beserk. They greeted the newcommer and proceded to feed it. I watched as it flew and joined the colony. I was stunned and heartwarmed. I could almost make out the colony screeching their thanks to me. Romantic I know but that was my reward. I convinced myself that the next year MY BIRD returned and nested near to my house. It was hard work, never done it since.
Pete

I assume that the bird is still at the egg stage. The egg will require the correct temperature (possibly about 37.5 C). A little to warm or too cold will kill the developing bird. Humidity has to be considered as well. Incubation is not as simple as it looks. Even if you do succeed in hatching this chick, you're in for an almost impossible task - pigeons need 'milk' from their parents initially. Rearing wild birds is not to be taken lightly (I'm sure you wouldn't). If I were in the position, I'd destroy the egg, hard tho' it sounds!
Zek

I looked inside the egg infront of a light.. i can make out a outline of the feller growing inside.. i just hope it will hatch.. as soon as i see it break through the shell it normally takes 5-24 hours to hatch.. during that time i will have somone to give it to so they can feed it etc

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back