• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

First goodie of the Spring (1 Viewer)

Jane Turner

But alas I wasn't at home when a female Serin flew low over my head, I was at Red Rocks!

I was a little bit slow...its my age, so it was more or less level with me by the time the penny dropped, though as usual I was thinking why does this Goldfinch sound really flat...and why is it so small and looks like a small contrasty Redpoll head on. Fortunately I was tuned in time to see it fly away. No tail markings, no obvious wing bars and a craking neat yellow rump made the identification a formality.

The Sedge Warblers are here in force - I always associate their song as the sign that spring is really here. There are already a pair of Whitethroats doing the whole nuptial bit in the dunes and one of yesterdays Grasshopper warblers was still about, actually visible singing in the dunes.

There are 60 or so White Wagtails on the beach at home and I'm off to see if I can hear another Serin in the garden!

Good luck jane, the males hear started singing like crazy within the last days and I have also seen a display flight from one of them!

Jörn

Serin was abundant on our campsite in France...the other week.
Was great to be woken by their singing every morning...but I can imagine it might get a bit grating after a while....
Although the 'wind up birdy' song flight was fun to watch!!!

So....can I add White Wagtail to me list now Jane?

Dave. :)

Hi Dave.
deboo said:
Surely Pied is one of ours?...

A trusted tick!...unlike Caspian Gull!!
I'd feel a lot happier about ticking Caspian Gull(should I ever see one here) than White Wagtail,but would tick neither until the relevant split was adopted over here.Alstrom and Mild treat the 'White Wagtail complex' as a single species,including races long treated as full species elsewhere,such as lugens.
Harry

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back