• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A tale of two Hoopoes (1 Viewer)

Brian Stone

A Stone chatting
What great day yesterday was. I was going to put off doing my WeBS count at a local nature reserve at Stibbington in Cambridgeshire - there is never that much there and it really turns into more of a breeding bird survey at this time of year anyway. But in the end my darling wife persuaded me it was better to get it out of the way so I dutifully headed off. Oh, how I love that woman.

As I got to the track leading to the reserve I could hardly believe what I was seeing. Flying up from the ground was clearly a Hoopoe which flitted up the track and into some trees. I drove on a little further using the car as a hide and watched it for some time with bins as it sat high in a tree.

Part of my incredulity was that exactly one year and ten days earlier I was in my car following a Hoopoe along a road not 5 km away from here as the Hoopoe flollops. Hoopoes are extremely infrequent locally so to find two in so short a time almost defies belief.

Such thoughts were running through my head as I started making calls to local birders. A striking bird like this always draws a crowd but despite much searching a year ago that one was never seen by anyone else. So as the one I was watching flitted off down the line of trees and out of site I could see there was going to be nothing for those arriving to see. Again! The thought of claiming two fanishing Hoopoes was hideous. The word 'stringer' was looming large.

The following three quarters of a hour were agonising. The first birders would be arriving any minute and there was still no sign of it. I had been checking along the line of trees where I had seen it fly and in the fields and huge garden nearby. Then a motorbike went by back at the start of the track and flushed the bird from exactly the same spot where I had first seen it. The little blighter must have doubled back somehow unseen. This time the bird flew towards me and landed in a tree right above my head and put up its crest before flying off out of sight again.

Sure enough the first of the local birders had started to arrive and one had even seen the motorbike but not the bird. However now I was more confident that it would return given a bit of time and space. More arrived and we stationed ourself around the likely area trying to keep the eager birders back from the concrete where the bird had twice returned to feed. Eventually it dropped back onto exactly the same spot and provided some excellent views there despite being flushed again a few times.

It has been looked for today both at this original spot and at a nearby sewage works where it was seen later on Sunday but there is no sign of it. Locals say it was present on Saturday and I hope it is still around but have my doubts.

A walk with the local bird club in the afternoon was particularly good for woodland flowers, including the semi-parasitic Toothwort , Wild Pansy and Arum Lilly among carpets of Bluebells, Wood Anemone, Dog's Mercury and Wild Garlic.

Finally when I arrived to pick up my son from a party later in the afternoon I was presented with a huge female Emperor Moth with a 6cm wingspan. A first for me and just about the most striking insect I have yet seen.

Oh, yes and I did get back to Stibbington today and do the count that I abandoned yesterday where I got my first Cuckoo of the year but little else.

There are some far better pictures of the Hoopoe on the Peterborough Bird Club website and surfbirds but my own snapped efforts are attached.

Attachments

• hoopoe_apr_04a.jpg
    hoopoe_apr_04a.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 122
  • hoopoe_apr_04b.jpg
    hoopoe_apr_04b.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 124
Last edited:
Excellent story and find Brian. I'm always relieved when others get to see something I've found, so I can imagine how pleased you were to be able to share this cracker.

Brian,

Nice one.

When I found a Hoopoe a couple of years ago I had no mobile, and had to get back to work to put the news out. It was a great relief when an e-mail from Birdguides about an hour later confirmed others had connected!

Stephen.

Brian - good report.

Jason - yes, I too would love to find my own Hoopoe here. I've found my own in Majorca and in India, but never here: the only one I've ever seen here was a reported one in Yorkshire in 2000 (which I could get to via a detour home from work - otherwise known as handy birding......)

Ive always thought hoopoe was such a great looking bird and so striking (from pictures ofcourse)!! Ive never seem one myself but I wait in great anticipation for the day I do. Nice snaps you have there Brian.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back