• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

March Theme Challenge - 'Birds and Man' (1 Viewer)

IanF

For this month's fun theme challenge we are having - 'Birds and Man'.

The entry must contain a bird and some man-made object. This can be anything as long as the bird(s) is wild and it is shown in conjunction with a man-made object. eg. on a bird table, telegraph pole, fence post, house roof, sidewalk, pylon etc. - use your imagination ;-)

The rules must be adhered to in order to avoid disqualification - they will be rigidly enforced.

Rules -

1. Entries to have been taken in the last twelve months.
2. Date taken to be included in the entry.
3. Entries to be uploaded between 1st-21st midnight GMT.
4. Entries to include a wild bird and a man-made object.
5. Location taken to be included.
6. Maximum of two entries per member.
7. Only minor image adjustment is permitted, such as cropping, sharpening, contrast, and levels. The photo must not be otherwise greatly manipulated ie. objects should not be added / removed in order to enhance the shot.
8. Once uploaded a photo is classed as an entry and cannot be replaced by another shot. However, you have until the closing date/time of this competition to ensure that your photo meets criteria.
9. Entries must be your own work and not previously submitted in a competition.
10. The bird's common name must be given, though please add the scientific too.

Entries to be uploaded directly by entrants to the Monthly Photo Competitions 2004 gallery.

A voting booth will be posted after the 21st.

Comments on entries are permitted.

The rules have been simplified this month in order to encourage more entries. Limits on photo size and kb are now determined by the Gallery limits. 'When taken' is now the last 12 months to assist 35 mm users. A list of the coming monthly themes will be published shortly - however they are subject to amendment and designation as 'prize competition' themes which will appear periodically.

Last edited:
IanF said:
For this month's fun theme challenge we are having - 'Birds and Man'.

<snip>
The rules have been simplified this month i... 'When taken' is now the last 12 months to assist 35 mm users. ....

That's great news, as one who has had photos eliminated in teh past because I couldn't remember exactly which day I'd taken them on.
Not that they were that great anyway!

Ian what is the file size please for these pictures.I only use the re sizing of 650,but apparently the file size stipulated is different,and I am not sure how one finds the size.My pc just says Medium,6.

Christine,

The Gallery limit is 200 kb though to be honest I rarely post images over 60 kb without loss of detail. Size wise 800x600 is the recommended, though in the main I post 640x480.

Tracker,

As long as it's wild and still alive 'chicken on a plate' still counts - but only if you can keep it stood still for long enough to get a photo ;)

I like the sound of this competition, so the pic can be taken within the last 12 months, is this how it will be from now on or is it just for this competition? I kind of liked the date constraints as it made it more of a challenge. Also the pic can now be up to 800x600 in size, but not more than 200k in file size? just wanted to make sure i got that straight.

What if the canal where the bird is fishing is man-made?

http://www.birdforum.net/pp_gallery/data/525/1025ospreyfish.jpg

Just kidding.

Right on every count Paul - including a canal, it is after all man-made - however it must be something 'obviously man-made' as can be seen in the photo ;)

We'll see how things go with the rule changes. The date taken restraint has been relaxed in order to enable 35 mm users to prepare an entry which likewise is one of the reasons for publishing an advance notification of the coming themes, but of course that helps everyone.

The Gallery dimension and file size limit as you quote are the maximum size for an entry, smaller sized photos qualify too.

IanF said:
'When taken' is now the last 12 months to assist 35 mm users.

This will also assist those digital photographers who take far too many photos and are many months behind in sorting through the pics. ;) Glen

Does the bird actually have to be on a manmade object or can it be flying with say a car in the background?

Paulyoly said:
Does the bird actually have to be on a manmade object or can it be flying with say a car in the background?
See rule no.4;a car is a man-made object,so you can hardly be disqualified!

Grousemore said:
See rule no.4;a car is a man-made object,so you can hardly be disqualified!

I know i just wanted to clarify that the bird doesn't have to be standing on the man-made object.

As Ian said,'use your imagination',I reckon that's carte blanche for anything which contains both a bird (wild) and a man-made object.His words were ..."in conjunction with" so go for it!

Man I have a pic that would be perfect (the pigeon on the fake owl that I uploaded last week) but it won't let me move it to the competition gallery. Do I have to delete it and re-upload it to move it?

I think there is a block on moving/deleting pics,due to database considerations,Janine.
I'd prefer to wait until tomorrow if that's ok,as I'm not sure of the situation.

Hi Paul,

As Grousemore says, as long as there is a wild bird and a man-made object in view it will qualify.

Janine,

You should be able to upload another copy of the photo to the competition forum. If you have any difficulty with this, then send me a PM and I will move the photo for you, but I'd prefer it as a separate entry as the comments attached pre-date the competition dates.

I've got an excellent shot of a Ruddy Turnstone feeding next to a plastic 'Tizer' bottle (for those in the US or elsewhere, this is a classic fizzy drink from the UK), but it was taken about ten years ago. Shame! But anyone who has got an image of this species feeding on its usual prey (bars of soap, used condoms, etc) will surely win!
;)
Good luck everyone...

Really we shouldn't be getting into pre-judging entries. However I'd have to say that the first one doesn't contain any thing 'obviously' man made. It may be better suited to a forth coming theme challenge, a list of which have been posted.

The second photo would I think qualify, but don't forget the title of the theme which is a point on which entries should be judged. I'm doubtful of the relevance of the man made object here.

Last edited:
IanF said:
Really we shouldn't be getting into pre-judging entries. However I'd have to say that the first one doesn't contain any thing 'obviously' man made. It may be better suited to a forth coming theme challenge, a list of which have been posted.

The second photo would I think qualify, but don't forget the title of the theme which is a point on which entries should be judged. I'm doubtful of the relevance of the man made object here.

Ok, i will pick a more obvious one. So we should be looking more for mans affect on birds? Like a bird nesting in a mailbox or something.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back