• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding in Turkey May 2012 (1 Viewer)

Jordy

jordy
Hello
I am looking for any info on where to visit near Marmaris , whilst on my Holiday. I am willing to travel about 15 miles around in the general area.
cheers thanks in advance

Hello
I am looking for any info on where to visit near Marmaris , whilst on my Holiday. I am willing to travel about 15 miles around in the general area.
cheers thanks in advance

I visited Marmaris in September 2001 and found Krüper's Nuthatch easy to find in the surrounding forests; there's a small park/camping ground to the east of town which had numerous Krüper's Nuthatch and a Lesser Spotted Woodpecker there. I also took a dolmus to the head of the gulf to the north of Marmaris (by the villages of Akyaka and Gökova). There was a small marsh here but the area seemed to be under development. The best birding I had was on trips to tourist sites like Ephesus and Pamukkale.

E

You can pick up the odd migrant around Marmaris, I had Lesser Grey Shrike on a bit of open ground, and on a track inland of Icmeler had Black-headed Bunting but frankly the birding was hard work. We did have Eleanoras fly past too.

If you can spread your wings a little though the areas around Dalyan and Koycegiz are far more productive.

Rob's idea of visiting Dalyan and Koycegiz is good although this is quite a lot further than the 15 miles you mentioned. As for good birds around Marmaris (I was actually in Icmeler a couple of miles further round the bay) then I would agree with Rob that the birding was quite difficult as the area is hemmed in by steep hillsides covered with impenetrable thorny scrub. I was there during autumn migration and saw Rüppell's Warbler, Subalpine Warbler, Eastern Orphean Warbler, Bee-eater, Red-backed Shrike all in Icmeler. Green Woodpeckers were common in the area but I didn't see any Syrian. Last June I went to a similar resort nearer Bodrum on another family holiday and I saw loads of Syrian Woodpeckers but no Green! What I did last summer was hire a car and find some areas with open farmland and the birding was immediately much better, with Masked Shrikes, Rollers, Rufous Bush Robins, Black-headed Buntings, Sombre Tits etc.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back