• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

bird call Id (1 Viewer)

geehed4u

Hi,
I know this is a long shot but I think it is worth a try.
There is a bird in a tree a few gardens away from where I live, it is very well hidden, couldn't find it even with binoculars. I'vw been through as many bird calls as I could on "Resources" and have been unable to match it up. I am familiar with most common bird calls e.g. blue tit, great tit, chaffinch, blackbird etc. The call is a high pitched "sip sip surrrrr" called once then repeated a couple of minutes later. Anyone help I'd love to know what it is.
Cheers
Brian :stuck:

geehed4u said:
Hi,
I know this is a long shot but I think it is worth a try.
There is a bird in a tree a few gardens away from where I live, it is very well hidden, couldn't find it even with binoculars. I'vw been through as many bird calls as I could on "Resources" and have been unable to match it up. I am familiar with most common bird calls e.g. blue tit, great tit, chaffinch, blackbird etc. The call is a high pitched "sip sip surrrrr" called once then repeated a couple of minutes later. Anyone help I'd love to know what it is.
Cheers
Brian :stuck:

Song thrush??

Could be anythign thsi time of year. A lot of the brids are courtship feeding, with females giving begging calls which are a often quite bizarre. Plus you've got allsorts of alarm and anxiety calls near nests, and territorial calls.

A wild stab in the dark is an anxious chaffinch, but it's simply impossible to even get close without hearing it. It could literally be any one of the surburban birds.

Bird call ID

Well thanks for the suggestions, I knew it was a long shot but I know there are far more experienced birders than me on here so I thought it worth a try.
Must confess I had not considered a song thrush, I haven't seen one in this vicinity for ages.
Well thanks again.
Brian B :)

Hi Brian,

Is it a high-pitched call? It's certainly not a Song Thrush if the "sip sip surrrrr" is it's only call. Does it make no other calls/song at all? One other thought, is the call fast or literally as you would speak the phrase?

Poecile's right though, there are so many varied calls at this time of year. Any more details though???

Sue.

Hi Sue and Jeff,
I would say the call is slightly higher pitched than a blue tits call, as far as I'm aware it makes no other call and the call takes as long as saying the phrase, about 3/4 seconds then it is repeated after a few minutes. I have searched the tree with binoculars for ages but never spotted it. I thought it might be some kind of warbler. I am familiar with a dunnocks call so I dont think it is a dunnock.
Thanks for your assistance I'm probably missing the obvious, not seeing the wood for the trees or just getting old.
Thanks again
Brian |:(|
Sue Wright said:
Hi Brian,

Is it a high-pitched call? It's certainly not a Song Thrush if the "sip sip surrrrr" is it's only call. Does it make no other calls/song at all? One other thought, is the call fast or literally as you would speak the phrase?

Poecile's right though, there are so many varied calls at this time of year. Any more details though???

Sue.

geehed4u said:
Hi Sue and Jeff,
I would say the call is slightly higher pitched than a blue tits call, as far as I'm aware it makes no other call and the call takes as long as saying the phrase, about 3/4 seconds then it is repeated after a few minutes. I have searched the tree with binoculars for ages but never spotted it. I thought it might be some kind of warbler. I am familiar with a dunnocks call so I dont think it is a dunnock.
Thanks for your assistance I'm probably missing the obvious, not seeing the wood for the trees or just getting old.
Thanks again
Brian |:(|

Hi again Brian,

Ian suggested Coal Tit and they do have a high-pitched song and calls, so do Long-tails (though I doubt it's LTT), another with a high-pitched song/call is a Goldcrest - any conifers in the garden. Not easy at all Brian, but I'll keep thinking. :brains:

Sue.

The "surrrr" description you use suggests what I call a trill which means one of the tit family to me. The finches I hear have quite a clean piercing sound.

If it's higher pitched than Blue then I'd go with Coal.

Tim

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back