• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Well chuffed ... (1 Viewer)

RonClark28

All too often we see and here of bad service from suppliers of nearly everything. But today I would like to give an example of good service. Am I allowed to name names on here though? This company deserves wider recognition.

About a month ago I bought a second hand Opticron Mighty Midget spotting scope. Well, the eye piece kept coming loose and I had to keep screwing it back into place. So over the weekend I though that I really ought to have look at why it was happening, so I unscrewed the thing off altogether … and the holding piece inside fell off inside the scope. This morning we took it back to the place where we bought it and explained what had happened. “No problem,” the guy said and disappeared into the rear of the shop. He returned with a brand new scope and swapped it one for one. I can’t complain about that can I?

I need some new binos and I hope to be able to get them towards the end of next month. Guess where I shall go for them?

Ron,

As long as you have no connection with the retailer in question, I don't see a problem with naming the company. If you add a disclaimer to the post that should allay any fears that you're trying to advertise. I think a lot of us have named manufacturers, especially in relation to adapters that we've bought.

Very nice to here a story like yours Ron. Full marks to the people concerned. I hope you have a lot of good birds through your new scope

Last edited:
Thank you digi-birder.

The company concerned is Focus Optics, Church Lane, Chorely, Coventry, CV7 8BA; phone 01676 540501. They have dealt with us in a very fair manner over this matter and I have always been treated with politness and curtesy and I see no reason at all why I shouldn't say so. Thay are always very helpful and will answer any questions that you may have.

I have no conection with the company other than as a very happily satisfied customer.

It is good to reward excellent service by spreading the word too. So them being generous benefits birders and themselves too.

I, too, have dealt with Focus Optics, although not in such a drastic situation as yours, and also found them to be very helpful.

I hope you can now have many trouble-free happy hours watching the birds through your new scope. It's certainly not a bad little scope - I tried one myself before deciding to buy a full-sized one. They are excellent if you don't want to carry a lot of weight around.

After I had had my Coolpix 995 for 3 months I noticed a crack in the body. In all honesty it looked as though it had been dropped, though as far as I was aware it had'nt. I returned it to Jessops Meadowhall expecting them to return it to Nikon. However the sales assistant went into the back and appeared with a brand new one. I was well pleased. Subsequently I have returned my samsonite case, which had come undone slightly, and again was given a new one.

Mark

I had a bad experience with Focus Optics. Many years ago I purchased some bins but found they were not suitable. They agreed to swap the 2 week old pair for a more suitable one, but used the opportunity to overcharge me for the new pair. I found out by accident and after a tense conversation got them to refund the difference. I also found the fat man in the clothing shop very very rude. Needless to say I won't deal with them again. Looking back I am not happy that they tried to diddle me and that they will exchange a recent purchase and sell it on as new when it is clearly used. Kay Optical and LCE won't do this.

Pity because they have a good range and are probably very knowledgeable but I don't trust them. I have since bought many instruments elsewhere so it shows it pays to be honest.

I'm sorry you had a different experience than I did from Focus Optics Leif but I have to go on the one that I had. I suppose it helps that they are only about 10 miles from where I live. I have visited their shop on many occasions and I have never seen or heard the sort of thing you speak of. In fact we bought a load of wild bird seed there from the clothing part of the set-up while we there yesterday. I can't say I seen a 'fat man' there (other than me that is ;-))) ), so perhaps he's no longer part of the set up.

Thing is, I've had bad experiences from a few places I suupose and in most intances they were very much one off incidents. Like my wife's Kodak 3600 camera we got from Currys. Its been replaced eventually but it was sitting in their store waiting to be sent off for repair for around 12 days until we started asking why it hadn't been returned. Some of the staff were very off-hand with us over it, but the one lady, Ann, was brilliant and got things sorted for us. But this is the only time we have had any trouble with Currys and the stuff we have bought there, and its been a lot, believ me ... including this PC I'm using and Jan's PC. In fact the only PC I bought from elsewhere I had real trouble with.

Ron: What got me was that it was - I think - the owner who tried to take me for a ride. Mind you, if you have had good service then stick with them. I have had very good experiences with Ace Optics in Bath, and In Focus in Barnes and will go again next time me wallet feels a bit too heavy!

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back