• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Anyone with 12X50s?? (1 Viewer)

12x50sv experience

Hey!
Anyone have some 12X50s? I'm thinking about some which is usually trouble! Thinking on SV, UV HD/HD +, and Meostar. Anyone have any personal experience with any of these?

I've had the 12x50sv since they came out, also got the 8x32sv at the same time.
The 1250 are excellent, when I first got them I tried hand holding them exclusively. This is not how to get the best of them. I realized after 6 months or so the best way to realize the extra resolution of these bins was to use a monopod or tripod. Images appear closer when hand holding, but you can't resolve more than a 10 or perhaps even an 8 image. But, use a monopod or tripod and the image is amazing, the 12x is very impressive, sharp edge to edge and superb in resolution.
The eye relief on these bins is published as 19mm, I don't agree with this. The practical eye relief on the 1250v is similar to my Leica 8x32hd, the eye relief on the 8x32sv is much more, they say only 1mm more on the 8x32 compared to the 12x50 on the Swar website but from my experience in the last few years I would not agree, the eye relief on the 8x32sv is much more than the 1250v.
Also on the 1250 sv and the 1050 sv I have used there is a little bit of focus "stiction" for want of a better word, i.e. the focus at infinity is hard to tweak to the very sharp resolution you know is out there.
In balance I am happy with the 1250v, I don't like spotting scopes and the easy on my eyes view of this bin on a monopod or tripod works for me.
Andy

I've had the 12x50sv since they came out, also got the 8x32sv at the same time.
The 1250 are excellent, when I first got them I tried hand holding them exclusively. This is not how to get the best of them. I realized after 6 months or so the best way to realize the extra resolution of these bins was to use a monopod or tripod. Images appear closer when hand holding, but you can't resolve more than a 10 or perhaps even an 8 image. But, use a monopod or tripod and the image is amazing, the 12x is very impressive, sharp edge to edge and superb in resolution.
The eye relief on these bins is published as 19mm, I don't agree with this. The practical eye relief on the 1250v is similar to my Leica 8x32hd, the eye relief on the 8x32sv is much more, they say only 1mm more on the 8x32 compared to the 12x50 on the Swar website but from my experience in the last few years I would not agree, the eye relief on the 8x32sv is much more than the 1250v.
Also on the 1250 sv and the 1050 sv I have used there is a little bit of focus "stiction" for want of a better word, i.e. the focus at infinity is hard to tweak to the very sharp resolution you know is out there.
In balance I am happy with the 1250v, I don't like spotting scopes and the easy on my eyes view of this bin on a monopod or tripod works for me.
Andy

Thanks for that Andy. Yeah I've read where the eye relief isn't quite what is advertised. I figure it would probably be better than the Leica HD Plus at any rate....probably the Meopta as well. I'm pretty much planning on getting the SV 12X50s here in pretty short order...

If you go for a combination with a lightweight monopod or tripod, I would recommend a 15X. That will give you a clear advantage over 10X. 10X vs 12X is much less obvious, especially when you need more power to make an ID.

I carry a 8X around my neck and a 15X and a lightweight tripod in my backpack and I hardly notice the weight. Great for sitting by a lake and observing (and ID-ing) over large distances.

George

If you go for a combination with a lightweight monopod or tripod, I would recommend a 15X. That will give you a clear advantage over 10X. 10X vs 12X is much less obvious, especially when you need more power to make an ID.

I carry a 8X around my neck and a 15X and a lightweight tripod in my backpack and I hardly notice the weight. Great for sitting by a lake and observing (and ID-ing) over large distances.

George

That's not a bad way to do it.|8)|

A Conquest HD 15x56 is a fine instrument and the $1500 saving will get you a monopod/tripod and leave plenty of change to pay for gas on those birding trips.

Lee

Funny you say that...that was EXACTLY the other option I was considering...

This seems like a good price for the Meopta 12x50 especially if you take off the 19% German tax.
Maybe they are being discontinued?

http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p4735_Meopta-Meostar-B1-12x50-binocular--green.html

I understood from Meoptaman that the HD versions of the 12x50 and 15x56 would be available in Europe early last year, but not seen them so far. Perhaps that price suggests their arrival is imminent? That llisting does look a bit of a bargain.

David

The only problem with opening the door to the Conquest 15X56....the door is then open to the 15X56 SLC.

Yep and the SLC is a fine instrument although the focus speed is a bit on the slow side. You probably wouldn't notice this roaming in the open but if you visit blinds in nature reserves where stuff comes fairly close, you might find the pumping of the focus wheel to go from far to near and back again a bit tiresome and it could lose you birds in those circumstances.

SLC comes in at around $950 more, plus the tripod adaptor is extra. But look, its a lovely instrument and if you are going to 15x then you should try it out alongside the Conquest and see if the extra cost makes sense to you.

Lee

But wait! If you act now you get two Zeiss tripod adapters for the price of one!! ;)

It's time for a scope, people.

Time for a scope.

Mark

Mark

I've always suspected you only have one eye and your post does nothing to suggest otherwise. :-O

Isn't there a forum somewhere for one-eyed lecherers? Sorry, I meant lecturers. :eek!:

Lee

If you try the Conquest 15x56 check CA. A couple of reviewers found the SLC 15x56 better in this respect and after trying both side by side it led me to spend the extra euros.

George

If you try the Conquest 15x56 check CA. A couple of reviewers found the SLC 15x56 better in this respect and after trying both side by side it led me to spend the extra euros.

George

Good point George.
I found both showed a bit more CA towards the edge of the FOV if your eyes were not on the optical axis, but I didn't find CA at all bothersome in either of them.

Lee

Okay....since y'all brought this(15X) up...:eek!:

Eye relief....I've read every possible article featuring the Conquest and SLC 15X56 it seems. To those that have USED or actually OWNED both(gasp) which is the most eyeglass friendly? From what I READ, the SLC is the better of the two in this regard.

Spotting scope... I have one... a STS-80 20-60X so I'm covered there!

Okay....since y'all brought this(15X) up...:eek!:

Eye relief....I've read every possible article featuring the Conquest and SLC 15X56 it seems. To those that have USED or actually OWNED both(gasp) which is the most eyeglass friendly? From what I READ, the SLC is the better of the two in this regard.

Spotting scope... I have one... a STS-80 20-60X so I'm covered there!

When I had both of these together in 2014 for reviewing I tried them both while wearing spectacles and with the naked eye and I didn't encounter black-outs with either of them.

Lee

Thanks for everyone's replies! GREAT input!

So I finally decided to pull the trigger on a NIB Non FieldPro SV 12X50 and....

OUT OF STOCK!!

So...I don't feel like it's worth $2869.00. I can't even find one in the $2500 range.. :-C

gesh.....

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back