• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Why so many "ID this bird" posts? (1 Viewer)

I like the Bird ID messages also - whether in the form of a quiz (the poster knows the ID and is testing the rest of us on our ability) or in the form of "help me figure out what I saw". Gives me a chance to see if I can ID the bird and thereby test myself. I learn from the fine points others provide. It's all good. Barbara

Another vote for the ID this bird threads. Anytime the bird in question is something it's sensible for me to try to ID (i.e., not from the other side of the planet) it's interesting, sometimes challenging, and always educational. Bring them on!

Hehehe!LOL

jobkjoseph said:
I dont mean to be rude, but i feel that birdforum members are not taking
efforts to ID their birds on their own, but just are posting pics here for ID.

Many of them are IDable with ease if one has a bird guide.

I urge members to procure a bird guide & start IDing birds on your own, rather than depend of such a forum for every other bird, be it trivial or not.

best regards,
Job

Hehe! This is a funny post considering that participation in this particular forum, like in any forum, is not mandatory.

PS
Don’t you think people responding to questions on this forum really enjoy the exercise?

searobin said:
PS
Don’t you think people responding to questions on this forum really enjoy the exercise?

Me too - and bird i.d. questions are always the ones that get answered the most quickly, they're always eagerly awaited

BarbaraM said:
Sounds good! How old? Barbara B :)
A 1989 cask strength Bruichladdich. They don't come much better than that!

Tammie said:
Jason! What happened to your other avatar??? We like that one!
The computer-bashing one? I'm going through an anti-violence phase at the moment. ;)

I really liked the post from John Cantelo quoted below. Sure, this is the internet. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions -- and that does include everyone, including the original poster in this thread.

My view of birding is that the only way you really learn is by the struggle. Spend hours working on an ID, with every resource you have. Check and recheck the flank patterning, the eye ring, the relative length of the undertail coverts, whatever the key is for the species, until you have learned and progressed. The book study feeds the field study which feeds the book study and so forth, in a self-reinforcing cycle as you go from newbie to... wherever it is you want to go. That process is why my favorites are such families as gulls and flycatchers -- better and more interesting puzzles.

When you don't do that, when you don't push yourself to learn, when you turn too quickly to an easy source, and then go back again and again, never doing the work to progress first... then you are cheating yourself. Only yourself. In my opinion.

Hey, you're not hurting me, no problem, do as you want. It is a big internet out there. But, I think the original poster was well intentioned and trying to be helpful. For people who view the world his way... and perhaps my similar way. Not that I would wish to somehow impose my way of viewing birding on others -- if it feels good for others to approach things completely differently, then they should do just that.

John Cantelo said:
I've mixed feelings on this one. At one level I'm with the "ain't it good to share and have on tap those more knowledgable than yourself" brigade. It's one of the great joys of birding to be able to encourage others share your knowledge and put something back. Now that I've a few years (!) experience under my belt, I find sharing & showing birds to others very rewarding. And yet .... when I see the umpteenth 'easy' ID request made ny the same person I worry. My concern being that people who opt for this easy gambit simply don't learn as quickly or as thoroughly as they would do if the put in a bit of book work first. It's too passive and .... dare I use the 'L' word? .... too lazy.

Yes, I am sure that it is true that on occasion, people could do a bit more work themselves before calling for help, but bear in mind that, if a person successfully identifies a tricky bird themselves, then one person has learnt something.

If it's posted on here, potentially a whole bunch of people have learnt something!!

Personally, I enjoy the id threads - I like to test myself by coming up with my own ideas before reading the rest of the thread - usually wrong of course... but not always!!

Ruby said:
...but bear in mind that, if a person successfully identifies a tricky bird themselves, then one person has learnt something.

If it's posted on here, potentially a whole bunch of people have learnt something!!

I totally agree. I have identified over 200 birds in the field in North America, by myself, but I love the bird ID threads. Just today I learned something new from an ID thread about the facial and underwing features of the northern harrier, that I had just never really taken notice of before, even though I have identified these birds in the field many times.

Cheers,
Scott

All good points. It is apparent which side I'm on, since I started the other thread on ruffled feathers. (The reason I posted it there was that there was a potential for people to get a little heated, and I was reticent about that happening on a main forum. The title was designed to get people to have a look, rather than to explain what the thread was about).

A bird id made easy is one that does not stick in the memory. That is presumably why the same people keep posting pics of the same species and asking what it is all over again.

An i.d. that has been learned by the individual, whether through a gentle nudge, a demonstration of the relevant features, or a struggle through a book, will stick and make the learner a much more competent bird identifier.

I have been trying it with plants for the last three or four years and my progress is VERY poor. We have 40 species of Dragon/damselfly in the UK and I still get them wrong sometimes. When I'm in the field, I ask those who know better than me what something is, and why. Then when those "why's" are explained to me, and I can see them for myself, I will look for them next time.

So this is my summary; if you want to post a picture for id, say what you think it might be (there is no risk here; if you're wrong people on here won't laugh at you or criticise. It's a friendly place. And the fact that you have asked for an id on an "easy" species tells everyone you are a beginner, and they will make allowances). Say why you think it might be one, and how you reached the conclusion. Also, say where and when you photographed it, what it was doing, anything else you think is relevant.

THEN, when people reply, they should say what it is, and WHY it is one, so that then everyone can learn a little bit more - and maybe it will stick.

But, PLEASE don't be put off from posting and keep them coming.

Love to all

Sean

Bluetail said:
I'm always surprised at how often discussions of photos accept the colours at face value - even to the extent of pronouncing authoritatively on the precise degree of greyness in a gull's mantle when there are no other species in the shot for comparison.

Yup - it amazes me how much faith people put on the images posted. With complex identification to sub-species level based on exactly that!
Mind you - the ID section is one of my favourites of the whole site. Moer of it please!
James

Grousemore said:
with the only proviso that I don't feel helpful towards those (few) posters who are either looking for an easy 'Tick' and/or are looking for the correct label to put on the posted pic in their personal gallery.

Surely if you haven't been able to ID the bird in the field you can't then satisfactoraly tick the bird when its IDed for you afterwards? Would be a bit of a hollow vicotry in my book!
James

Ranger James said:
Yup - it amazes me how much faith people put on the images posted. With complex identification to sub-species level based on exactly that!
James

Never underestimate the power of a good photo.. ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back