• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Opticron MM4 spotting scopes (5 Viewers)

FrankD

Just a heads up that I received my review Opticron MM4 50 mm and 60 mm spotting scopes. I had a brief opportunity to try out the 60 mm model in comparison to my MM3 60 mm. I also received the newer version of the 23x (on the 60 mm) wide angle HDF eyepiece. I mounted the new eyepiece on the MM4 and compared it against the older 23x wide angle eyepiece on the MM3 60 mm.

Just a couple of observations.....

I didn't immediately note any difference in increased apparent sharpness. Both spotting scope combination were very sharp to my eyes. What I did note in the new MM4 combo was an increase in contrast and color saturation. Now whether this is just the new scope or the combination of new scope body and new eyepiece I cannot say but the difference is there. The MM3 was already above average in these areas but the change was still immediately noticeable.

One other issue I noticed was the change in antireflection coloring on the objectives. Gone are the red/purple reflections. Replaced with more green/purple.

More to follow as I have more time to experiment.

Still no MM4 80 mm :-( . One can always dream. ;)

I am wondering whether, with the improvements from the MM3, if the SDLv2 will give a greater quality of view with the MM4 over the HDF zoom.

Last edited:
Gander,

I can take a look at that for you as I do have the SDL V2 and the HDF zoom plus both of the MM4 scopes. Which one do you want to see it on...the 50 or the 60?

i got my MM4 this monday, not had proper trip out yet though. i got the SDL v2. I didn't previously have the MM3 so i won't really be able to a comparison. hoping for a good test this sunday/monday.

Hi, I'm seriously thinking of upgrading from my MM2 to the MM4 45/60; my question really relates to the eyepiece I will use with it. I have the SDL V1 which I am advised is compatible, I'm asking myself whether I should invest a further few hundred pounds and get the V2 at the same time. Would that be money well spent do you think?

Many thanks in advance.

Steve

Gander,

I can take a look at that for you as I do have the SDL V2 and the HDF zoom plus both of the MM4 scopes. Which one do you want to see it on...the 50 or the 60?

It is the 60 that I have. I tried both eyepieces with the MM3 60, but could not discern any difference.

Saw the new MM4 scopes at the San Diego Bird Festival this weekend after leading my tours. They look identical to the MM3 and both had the HDF eyepieces. Optical performance was superb, I didn't compare side by side to my MM3 50mm but they gave the impression of being even brighter and more contrasty. Another winner from Opticron.

My first few phonescoped pics with the new MM4 50 mm coupled with the HDF fixed magnification/wide angle 18x eyepiece and my Iphone 6S. Pics were taken at my youngest son's cub scout outing at the local zoo.

Unedited except for cropping and downsized to fit in this forum. Originals can be found on my flickr page at:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/73029961@N07/

Attachments

• barredowl2.jpg
    barredowl2.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 848
  • Eagle.jpg
    Eagle.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 654
  • European Starling.jpg
    European Starling.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 872
  • penguin.jpg
    penguin.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 712
  • Zebra.jpg
    Zebra.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 698
Last edited:
Opticron MM4 v Swaro 65

Is the MM4 way behind the Swaro 65 optically? I'd love the Swaro but it's pretty heavy so I have to consider the Opticron MM4 which is much lighter. Shall be grateful for any advice.

No. Quite the contrary. I think you would be genuinely surprised if you placed the MM4 60 mm side by side with the Swaro 65.

I have the older Swarovski 65 and the newer modular Swarovski 95 and they are indeed wonderful scopes! That said, so impressed was I with my MM3 50mm travel scope when it accompanied me to Costa Rica, Lesvos and Peru, that I also purchased the MM4 60mm version to give me just that little more 'reach' when needed on a recent trip to Borneo.

When birding locally if I know I'll either not be walking far or need the reach to count distant specks on my WeBS count, I take the Swarovski 95. If I'm just going birding for fun and likely to be covering some distance or I'm on my bike, I'll reach for one of the Opticron's (which will depend on just how far I'm likely to walk and the habitat). I cannot believe what a joy they are to use, and to be honest, there are times when if I did not have this option, the Swarovski would have been left at home and only binoculars would have been used.

If circumstances dictated that I could choose only one, the MM4 60mm would probably win. It's lightweight so this is also reflected in the tripod needed and clearly an advantage when travelling or walking far. It's inexpensive when compared to the Swarovski and personally, for general birding I find the lower starting magnifications more useful than the starting magnification of 30x on the Swarovski 95.

Jonathon,

Yes, I have spent quite a bit of time with the MM4 since receiving the demo units.

They are not much different than the MM3s. The most noticeable difference, to my eyes, was the increased level of contrast and slightly more saturated colors in the image. Better contrast and more saturated colors gives a more realistic image in my opinion. I did not note a difference in any other observable optical area.

Also keep in mind that the new MM4s are advertised now as waterproof and are manufactured in Japan instead of China...for those folks that are concerned with those specific issues.

Jonathon,

Yes, I have spent quite a bit of time with the MM4 since receiving the demo units.

They are not much different than the MM3s. The most noticeable difference, to my eyes, was the increased level of contrast and slightly more saturated colors in the image. Better contrast and more saturated colors gives a more realistic image in my opinion. I did not note a difference in any other observable optical area.

Also keep in mind that the new MM4s are advertised now as waterproof and are manufactured in Japan instead of China...for those folks that are concerned with those specific issues.

Frank,

Thank you for your reply.

I had got the general impression that you actually favoured the HDF eyepiece with the MM3. There was some question earlier in this thread as to whether the MM4 benefitted from the SDL2. Do you have any views on this? I realise that this can be subjective and and may be different for different people.

Jonathon,

I don't typically use the SDL V2 much. Most of time it is usually one of the fixed mag/wide angle eyepieces and when I do need a zoom then I usually go with the HDF. I do have an SDL V2 on hand though so I will do a side by side comparison and let you know.

Jonathon,

I don't typically use the SDL V2 much. Most of time it is usually one of the fixed mag/wide angle eyepieces and when I do need a zoom then I usually go with the HDF. I do have an SDL V2 on hand though so I will do a side by side comparison and let you know.

Frank,

Thanks again for your reply. Look forward to your comparison in due course!

Kind regards,

Jonathan

Following on the previous post, I am the (happy) owner of a MM4 60 ED + 23x fixed eyepiece, and would like a bit more magnification to identify gulls. Mostly the use is for digiscopy, and I currently hesitate a lot between purchasing the fixed 32x or the HDF zoom 15-45x.

Going through the threads I have not seen many pics with high magnification (most around 20x), would the fixed 32x provide enough light and quality? Are there pic examples on the forum?
I only came across an unanswered question in the "Best fixed eyepiece" topic.
Many thanks!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back