• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help Selecting Binoculars (1 Viewer)

w5blt

My wife and I are just starting getting into bird watching. However, we've decided that we would like to have a good binocular so we can see them better and hopefully be more successful in identifying them. We've also come the the conclusion that it would be nice if it had a built in camera to later review the birds that we've seen.

I've done a little looking around and found THIS BINOCULAR that seems like it may suit our purposes. However, being really new to this bird watching, I'm still not sure. If some of you more experienced watchers can give me your opinion of this or make suggestins on something more approporate, I'd appreciate your imput.

Thanks in advance!

I don't know anything about that Bushnell but it does not look ideal for birding. Generally, the recommendation would be to go for a waterproof/resistant binocular with a wide and bright field of view that is sharp to the edge. Also as much walking might be involved, weight and bulk can be important. The majority of birders choose 8x binoculars from Nikon, Zeiss, Swarovski or Leica with objectives around the 32-40mm diameter range.

The latest design compacts are not to be overlooked, though with the new type mirror systems and coatings. I have a pair of the new 10x25 Leica Ultravids and they are proving to be so good I'm having difficulty believeing it's possible. When weight is not an issue, I still use my Swaro 8.5x42 as my brain tells me they must somehow be better - I have to say so far the Ultravids are coming up trumps, though!

Last edited:
bins

w5blt said:
My wife and I are just starting getting into bird watching. However, we've decided that we would like to have a good binocular so we can see them better and hopefully be more successful in identifying them. We've also come the the conclusion that it would be nice if it had a built in camera to later review the birds that we've seen.

I've done a little looking around and found THIS BINOCULAR that seems like it may suit our purposes. However, being really new to this bird watching, I'm still not sure. If some of you more experienced watchers can give me your opinion of this or make suggestins on something more approporate, I'd appreciate your imput.

Thanks in advance!
I agree with scampo.
I would advise going to a RSPB site with a good shop where you can try all the different types and makes in one place so that you can make easy comparisons.They have most makes so theres lots of choice.I ended up with the Nikon HL 8x32's which for me were the best all round,but everyone takes to bins in different ways so try the lot.

cheers Stu

stu said:
I agree with scampo.
I would advise going to a RSPB site with a good shop where you can try all the different types and makes in one place so that you can make easy comparisons.They have most makes so theres lots of choice.I ended up with the Nikon HL 8x32's which for me were the best all round,but everyone takes to bins in different ways so try the lot.

cheers Stu
RSPB? Not in California, yet, Stu! I take your point about your bins, but I doubt anyone would say they were not at very the top of the tree.

(-;

w5blt said:

Thanks in advance!

Avoid these combo things like the plague, there hasn't been a decent set built yet. Instead get a decent pair of bins and a separate inexpensive digital camera or just wait on the camera until you've been in it for a while. If you have a Wild Birds Unlimited around, they have a decent selection of optics and a birder or usually a birder to give you some advice. If no place local, go to this web site www.eagleoptics.com, look around the site, read as much as you can and then call them for advice. They'll help you a lot, especially if you tell them you're new at this. Their Eagle Optics brand includes a pretty wide range of binoculars at anything from pretty inexpensive to moderately expensive plus you can return any purchase within 30 days to try something else or another brand, etc. On their own brand (they carry almost every brand available), for an additional $10, you can get Eagle Advantage which is for all practical purposes, a life time warranty against everything except loss or having them stolen. I have no connection with them other than being a very satisfied customer.

If you add your budget, you'll get a ton of advice.

Eagle is in Wisconsin but they ship fast and are highly reliable.

Jaeger near Chicago
A.R.S. AI9W

Last edited:
Before I bought any binocular I would do the following in this order:

1. Stay away from any camera binocular combo-both the picture quality and the view will be substandard.
  2. Try Better View Desired for a primer on what to look for in binoculars.
  3. Solicit opinions from members of BIRDFORUM's binocular section as to which models would best suit your budget and birding style.
  4. Check your local retailers for these models and look through them to see which you like best.
  5. Shop around for the best deal on-line, making sure that the retailer is reputable and has a fair return policy. In the US I use Eagle Optics and B&H Photo, although there are several more that other members may recommend.
  6. Test your binoculars in the field to see if they meet your requirements, if they don't, return them to the vendor.

Gregory Sargean said:
Before I bought any binocular I would do the following in this order:

1. Stay away from any camera binocular combo-both the picture quality and the view will be substandard.
  2. Try Better View Desired for a primer on what to look for in binoculars.
  3. Solicit opinions from members of BIRDFORUM's binocular section as to which models would best suit your budget and birding style.
  4. Check your local retailers for these models and look through them to see which you like best.
  5. Shop around for the best deal on-line, making sure that the retailer is reputable and has a fair return policy. In the US I use Eagle Optics and B&H Photo, although there are several more that other members may recommend.
  6. Test your binoculars in the field to see if they meet your requirements, if they don't, return them to the vendor.

The last time I checked the Better View Desired website , it was closed. needless to say, I was disappointed. Is there anymore info out there on this event?

Maybe I am being unduely cautious, but I never recommend people to buy top of the range optics when they are just starting out birdwatching. After all, they may decide that it isn't for them after all, and it'd be rather annoying if they have just spent a large wad of cash a few weeks before.

As for the binoculars to buy, my advice would be to find astore that has a wide range, and *try* as many different ones as possible. Look for the ones that feel right, both in the hand and aroud the neck (the latter being a consideration too many people forget). Compare the brightness and clarity of images for *your eyes*. Different people seem to prefer different things, at least in my experience.

Finally, with regards to the size. The 'serious' binoculars that most people carry tend to be 8x40's, or something similar. This seems to give an optimum trade off of magnifying power, light-gathering ability and weight. Many people also have 'pocket' binoculars, that they keep with them for those times when they are going about their daily business and see something. These tend to have a similar magnification but smaller light gathering ability. Something like a 8x or 10x30. Of course a lot of beginners also take these sorts of inoculars as they tend to be cheaper, and both a lot smaller and lighter.

I hope some of this was useful, and welcome to birdwatching!

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back