• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bulgarian Snakes ID (1 Viewer)

balkantrek

I would be grateful if anyone could confirm the identification of the following snakes for me:

I think No.1 must be Vipera ammodytes and No.4 Vipera berus

Nos. 1,2,3 and 5 were photographed in the Rhodope Mountains
No. 4 was photographed in the Pirin Mountains

Many Thanks

Attachments

• Bachkovski Manastir_3896 (1).jpg
    Bachkovski Manastir_3896 (1).jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 1,475
  • Chairska Reka_7448.jpg
    Chairska Reka_7448.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 1,448
  • Gornovodenski Manastir_3934 (1).jpg
    Gornovodenski Manastir_3934 (1).jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 1,680
  • IMG_1726.jpg
    IMG_1726.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 1,398
  • Kamarnata_6746.jpg
    Kamarnata_6746.jpg
    153.1 KB · Views: 1,538
Hello! I'm glad you found these!

Here's what they are:
1. if it had a nose-horn (and it looks like it does), then it is a Nose-horned Viper (Vipera ammodytes montadoni subspecies). I'm not sure if it's a male or female...
2. The head would be helpful, but I know this species well enough- Smooth Snake (Coronella austriaca) female
3. Definitely Aesculapian Snake (Zamenis longissimus)
4. Looks like an Adder (Vipera berus berus). How long was it? Now, I don't know if there are any at the Pirin mountains, but it could also be the Orsini's Viper (Vipera ursinii macrops subspecies, if I remember correctly), but I don't know the distribution of the Orsini's in Bulgaria... If you saw it up close and remember the head scaling, then I could possibly be able to help you ID it correctly, but I still suggest that you consult an expert on this one...
5. Male Smooth Snake (Coronella austriaca)

Congratulations on finding the Smooth Snakes, they're rare at my location (although I suppose that is more because of their habitat preferences than to small numbers...)

How big were they all?

Thanks for your reply and indentifications!

I will be in the Rhodope Mountains guiding a walking group next week and will be keeping my eyes open for any reptiles and amphibians. I will report back on anything I see...or manage to photo!

No problem.
When you see/catch something there, show it to the group and explain to them the importance and beauty of whatever it is that you find (venomous or not; especially if it's venomous, like the Nose-horned Vipers- explain to them that they're NOT "evil ugly monsters that are out to get humans"...). Believe me, it will make their trip all the more memorable and they'll start to care about wildlife (if they already didn't)...
Have fun!

Mouth-watering selection of European snakes guys - I am very envious. I only get to show people the odd grass snake or even less frequent adder.

Agreed totally MIZad - make sure all snakes are pointed out and celebrated, not hidden and villified.

James

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back