• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mike's conservatory (4 Viewers)

A masterly piece, sir! Technically brilliant and a very understated, and under rated, species. A proper brace of 'English partridge' ; not some poor blighters stuck in a game bag, or whatever they call them.

Russ

My sketchbook's been gathering dust for some reason so I wiped off the cobwebs and took it out for a spin over to Elmley early on Sunday. Despite persistent rain there were a few bits to see as always. Whenever it's raining on the reserve I check the rafters of the barn at the entrance, it's here that the barn owl often takes shelter and it's lovely to see him peering out of the gloom.

Way off in the distance I saw a peregrine perched on the strengtheners of a couple of telegraph poles. A convenient perch for her but too far off for me to get any decent views. Lapwings like the rain, it softens the soil and makes worm hunting easier.

It's a regular thing that the flocks of lapwings and starlings lift from the ground with the presence of a bird of prey, very often a marsh harrier or, occasionally if I'm lucky, a hen harrier like the one I spotted this week. The marsh harriers though are more reliable and I got to put in a couple of sketches.

On the farm by the car park there's a feeder station maintained by the warden and a pheasant often feeds around the base of it. He went in the book as practise.

As is often the case I didn't have long so I didn't go out to the hides but headed back down the track after a brief pit stop. Mammals are always a bit of a challenge for me but I couldn't resist this hare who was quite happy to carry on with his morning ablutions just as though nobody was watching.

Mike

Attachments

• barny-in-dark.jpg
    barny-in-dark.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 33
  • pere-and-preeners.jpg
    pere-and-preeners.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 44
  • harrier-and-lappies.jpg
    harrier-and-lappies.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 38
  • harrier-and-pheasant.jpg
    harrier-and-pheasant.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 42
  • preening-hare-1.jpg
    preening-hare-1.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 45
The pages of your dusty sketchbook are always a treat Mike. I particularly like the hares. I know what you mean about mammals being a challenge. However yours never LOOK like they were a challenge!

Beautiful compositions Mike. Excellent work. Loved the lighting in your paintings :). Your Sketch book is very impressive too :).

All best wishes,

Cheers, Rahul

Just a quick study as part of prep for a larger piece featuring redwing and maybe fieldfare or songthrush too, not decided for definite yet. Approx 10"x10 acrylic on illustration board.

Mike

Attachments

• last-of-the-few.jpg
    last-of-the-few.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 78
This is a real beauty Mike. Strong composition but especially the color and light are very striking. It's a beauty as is and I'm sure will be even more so in a more finished work. I just love this one!

I agree with Ken, this is an outstanding piece already, study or not! I like the perspective, and the bird is really well done.

Since there are plenty of clouds about at the moment, I thought I'd paint some!

I might take a leaf out of Colleen's book and try a whole bunch of cloudscapes, maybe not 100, I don't think I've got the same level of dedication as Colleen!

I'm now going to attempt painting under artificial light, I hate these grey winter days that end almost before they start...

Mike

Approx 10"x12" on canvas btw

Attachments

• too far.jpg
    too far.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:
So, we now have 'Sky Art'....any royalties in the wording.......?. Seriously, this could run to a 100 production with so many variables.......I seem to remember a certain BBC winner with a whole load of clouds in...Another winner soon me thinks.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back