• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gulls, Camargue, France (1 Viewer)

ekopa

Hello everybody,

Please help me id these gulls
1-2 (2 diffirent birds) should not be a big problem, 1-st summer yellow-legged gull?

the following pictures: I wouldn't even bother to ask as at first they seemed to be just black-headed gulls, but some of them have light pink breast... So, I looked up the Svensson's guide and the only species which I came across and which resembles these ones is Bonaparte's gull. Unfortunately, I don't have photos of them flying, so apart from the breast colour I can only judge by size, head colour, bill.
The book says Bonaparte's gull should be visibly smaller. The picture 3 does not support that. Hood colour: I red many times that the head of a black-headed gull is not black but "chocolate-brown", but I can't really see it:) (look at picture 4 that I think to be a BH gull).
So, my guess
4-6 - BH gull
7 - Bonaparte's gull
3 - BH (left) and Bonaparte's gull

Or, I am totally out of the ballpark?

please help me out:)

Thanks
Alexey

Attachments

• IMG_7650.jpg
    IMG_7650.jpg
    151.3 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG_7166_1.jpg
    IMG_7166_1.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_7391.jpg
    IMG_7391.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_7204.jpg
    IMG_7204.jpg
    157.9 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_7327.jpg
    IMG_7327.jpg
    201.6 KB · Views: 99
I agree with Jane. All the hooded gulls are black headed gulls. Bonaparte's has a black bill with light colored orange, yellow, or flesh colored legs. All the hooded gulls have dark red bills, with dark red legs (at least where the legs are showing). Also, Bonaparte's typically has a hood extending farther down the nape.

By the way, I think most of the shots are somewhat underexposed. That is why the dark brown hood looks black, and the reddish coloration on the bill is not always showing up. You can see things better if you lighten the shots in post processing. I attach two as an example of what can be done to see the birds better -- though I will not claim the quick changes I made necessarily make better photos.

Best,
Jim

Attachments

• IMG_7391.jpg
    IMG_7391.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_7625.jpg
    IMG_7625.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:
Thank you very much!
live a century - learn a century:)
Gulls of Europe, Asia and North America by Klaus Malling Olsen, Hans Larsson should be delivered to me next week, hopefully my future tries will be closer to the mark!

Not sure why no-one else has pointed this out.... but you can be pretty certain the gulls are Black-headed not Bonapartes since they were taken in the Camargue as per the thread title! Bonapartes would be an extremely rare bird anywhere in Europe, so the chances of photographing several is basically zero.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back