• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sandpiper I.D. (1 Viewer)

Warbler

Warbler Watcher
I think I've got this one pinned down but wanted to see what you shorebird experts thought.

Attachments

• Shorebirds 1a.jpg
    Shorebirds 1a.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 231
  • Shorebirds 1b.jpg
    Shorebirds 1b.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 259
  • Shorebirds 1c.jpg
    Shorebirds 1c.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 252
  • Shorebirds 1d.jpg
    Shorebirds 1d.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 236
  • Shorebirds 1e.jpg
    Shorebirds 1e.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 210
Hi Warbler,

These look to me like some splendidly long-billed American race Dunlin. They look very like Andrew S's picture on the plovers thread - much longer-billed than European Dunlins.

Sandpiper-like Birds

Dunlin
Calidris alpina

Description 8 1/2" (22 cm). A starling-sized shorebird. Bill fairly long, with distinct droop at tip. Breeding adults have reddish back, whitish underparts, with black patch in center of belly. Winter birds are dull gray, paler below.

Sounds like a Dunlin to me!

Mike

Yep, I guess you guys are right. They sure are Dunlins, for some reason I just wasn't looking at the bill and was trying to i.d. them from plumage only. I guess I've learned my lesson. Thanks everyone for the help.

Makes me more confident of some of putative hudsonia/sakhalina dunlin I've tentatively recorded... these are like Curlew Sands on structure!

Warbler said:
I think I've got this one pinned down but wanted to see what you shorebird experts thought.

Dear Warbler watcher..just wondered when and where they were photographed......what time of year

Cheers Martin

Well, Martin, these are photos taken from a short video clip I took of these birds in Fort Desoto Park (roughly the middle of FL on the western coast) in mid April 2004.

Warbler said:
Well, Martin, these are photos taken from a short video clip I took of these birds in Fort Desoto Park (roughly the middle of FL on the western coast) in mid April 2004.

Thanks very much..just what I wanted to hear....I have twice seen birds just like this, Dunlins that were the size of Curlew Sandpipers with big grey pectoral bands....non-breeders/ 1st summers in N. Ireland in early May...quite different from the normal Western Palearctic Dunlin..and thought they were probably hudsonia...your picture looked just like 'em

Cheers Martin

Martin Garner said:
Thanks very much..just what I wanted to hear....I have twice seen birds just like this, Dunlins that were the size of Curlew Sandpipers with big grey pectoral bands....non-breeders/ 1st summers in N. Ireland in early May...quite different from the normal Western Palearctic Dunlin..and thought they were probably hudsonia...your picture looked just like 'em

Cheers Martin

Snap :)

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back