• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help with thrush ID (1 Viewer)

Jacamar

Here are two pictures of a thrush that I have been seeing. I am having trouble determining what kind it is. I can see an orangish color under its wings when it flies. I hope someone can tell what it is from these pictures, but if you can't, I can probably get some more pictures of it.

Attachments

• Thrush1.jpg
    Thrush1.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 208
  • Thrush2.jpg
    Thrush2.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 221
The dinky underparts (esp flank) and white undertail coverts fit either Black-billed or Pale-breasted Thrush.

Gray head contrasting to reddish-brown upperparts (in the 1st shot) with orange underwing (presumably UW coverts) as you mentioned is distinctive for the latter (Turdus leucomelas) :bounce:

Bird on first photo 100% surely a Pale-breasted, as mentioned by Chayian. Note distinctive brown wings that appear a "warmer" colour than in any other similar Turdus in the area. Also note how they contrast with head (yet again see Chayian). Second photo presumeably the same, but is somewhat harder. Relatively pale greyish-brown underparts contrasting with upperparts usefull here (at least my monitor doesn't show contrast between head & back that is significant enough to id it as Pale-breasted). The "orangish" underwing coverts is found in several thrushes of SA, so not really usefull without other features.

Correction: Oops! I got the order of the two photos mixed up! I just corrected it.

Last edited:
Rasmus is right about the orange UW coverts shared by a few other Turdus spp. of northern south America, though this character is still useful for differentation between Black-billed and Pale-breasted Thrush since the former typical has off-white to buff on that area.

Indeed Chayian,

However, I just can't help thinking about the Creamy-bellied Thrush from Suriname last year - yes, of course I know it is unconfirmed and perhaps somewhat doubtfull, but wouldn't it be sad to mis the first record from Guyana...? Underwing coverts in this species are rather variable, perhaps depending on age.

It's not the creamy bellied thrush, the one that I see doesn't have a yellow beak like that. I think pale-breasted thrush is what it is.
It's making a nest nearby in a small palm tree, which will give me a good chance to get some good pictures.

It's not the creamy bellied thrush, the one that I see doesn't have a yellow beak like that. I think it is a pale-breasted thrush.
It's making a nest nearby in a small palm tree, which will give me a good chance to get some better pictures. Thank you for the help!

Chris,

As I said in my first thread on this subject, the birds on your photos certainly are Pale-breasted Thrushes. I just wanted to point out, that unless using other features than the colour of the underwing, you end up with a mis-ID! The Creamy-bellied was just an example...

Last edited:
If you post something twice by mistake, the second can be deleted easily. Just choose "edit" of one of the two threads, then check "delete message" and finally pres the botton that is likewise called "delete message". Voila! The second copy was deleted...

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back