• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Is this an immature Gray Headed Kite? (1 Viewer)

rka

ttbirds
The following pictures are of two birds that I believe are Immature Gray-Headed Kites. However one of them could also be the Plumbeous Kite or the Yellow Headed Caracara.

The birds seemed to glide slowly over a water logged savannah area and then plummet down. A third joined them after a while. After a few minytes, all three rapidly flew to the top of a 50 ft tree.

The last picture (out of focus) shows two of them in flight.

Any ideas?

Attachments

• bird 1.jpg
    bird 1.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 318
Last Pic - Birds in Flight (Out of Focus but useful for Wing Pattern)

Attachments

• bird fly.jpg
    bird fly.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 277
Hi
All of the pale coloured bird looks like a Yellow-headed Caracara to me, paricularly the one in flight, not sure about the other one, I suppose it could be a young bird looking at the white in the wings which to some extent matches the adult.

Rka,

The one on the left, i.e. the one that you can see, is an obvious Yellow-headed Caracara. Where you are, it is subspecies cordata, i.e., Milvago chimachima cordata. The other one could be just an offspring, but I can't really make out enough to be sure.

Others already solved the adult, and they are completely right... It has also been indicated that the brown one could be a juvenile of the same species...

I have no trouble in removing the "could be". It certainly is a juv. Yellow-headed Caracara. You will never see a Grey-headed or Plumbeous Kite (adult or juv.) walking on the ground. They are also completely different in colour & jizz.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back